Do You Go To Auctions?

When I first started my business I went to 3 to 5 auctions a week usually.  Some were great some were real duds but would stay because there was the possibility of picking up one or two items. Course if you did not get them wondered why you were there

Over the years they became to time consuming   work all day spend  2 to 7 hours an evening or the whole day Saturday  or Sunday so cut back. For about 6 years may only went to 3 or 4

Started going to them again about 4 years ago but am very very selective now.  Most we go to now  are at a distance.  No guarantees one can buy because of interest or price but the chances are there. I may go to one or two a month now

The ones I go to offer items I have a specific interest in. As said before may not be successful  but at times they are.   They also can be a learning experience  you get to see items you usually would not get to see the interest generated  meet new people and get contacts   

I very rarely go to general auctions but many do 

For many it's a fun way to spend the day or evenings.   Watching the auctioneers style and techniques. I know a few that are a real joy to watch do their trade.  They are masters at what they do . It also can be fun watching others there to bid.  Sometimes just watching their style of bidding  and at times reactions. Have been to some that have become Free For Alls fights arguments occur  Heck it's like a free show always wished I had brought popcorn And then there are times one goes to do battle with themselves.  Which can be a challenge  that hits a chord Trying to set a limit on what one will bid and blowing money  and at times walking out with items one really does not need  But every once in awhile you are over the moon at what you get. At times a real sense of satisfaction 

I find Auctions a strange animal just watching at times or participating in. You never know what will happen at times and that can be part of the excitement and enjoyment of doing so  

Auctions draw all types of folk.  Some are very serious some go to just see some can spend a lot some are on a limited budget but it draws everyone together no matter who they are  For awhile all are one and can be a great experience 

weavers

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Do You Go To Auctions?

and as a side.  The show was in a small town.   2 Antique shows ran there  within 2 weeks of each other each year and each did  well.  That's impressive. The other one ran for 34 years

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Re: Do You Go To Auctions?

with the show I started our best year was the second one.  A 3 day show. Had about 200 vendors. The police and I  estimated over 12,000 people came to it. It was free admission  and was nuts. Was told the first day was the worst traffic jam the town had ever had

Had one dealer show up with over a million dollars of stock.  Scared the living daylights out of me.  Watched him do over $25,000 in the first 3 hours

chuckle  he talked to me and said you know your contract said we are not responsible for damage beyond our control  I said yes  and I know I probably am

that's what scared me  I had a very stressful weekend 

other stresser was A Rep of Ontario Retail/Provincial Sales Tax showed up on the Saturday to check everyone had proper licences. Told us we had covered it in the contract so would be okay, but still we worried

a few hours later came to us and congratulated us  Out of the 200 or so vendors only 2 did not. They were issued temporary ones on the spot.  He said in all his years he did that he had never experienced a compliance rate like that

that gave both of us Brownie Points with PST 

Message 22 of 22
latest reply