Duty fees for Canadian buyers

coby28
Community Member

I bought a pr. of used tennis shoes for $25. and had to pay duty of $10. plus the normal shipping costs.  Makes buying on eBay very costly to Canadians. Won't be buying very much, anymore, on eBay, just to expensive.

PITY that our government overcharges on used items.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It does not matter if one purchases or imports new or used items.  The rules are the same and the level of taxes is the same (plus $9.95 handling charge to Canada Post).

From the official Government of Canada website:  http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

In Canada if you go to your used car dealer, you will be charged HST or GST although the tax had been charged previously to the first buyer. On a smaller scale if you go to Value Village and purchase a used pair of used or shirt or dress or whatever, applicable tax (GST or HST) will be charged.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Did you pay duty or a $9.95 brokerage fee to clear customs?

Duty is virtually nonexistent on merchandise coming in from the US.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

coby28
Community Member

I'm not talking about HST 13% on $25.00 which would be $3.25, I'm talking about a 40% tax on imported used items.  BIG DIFFERENCE. Sounds dishonest to me to charge a rate that high!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

It's an additional charge to Canadians listed after the shipping charge and it's called "IMPORT CHARGE".

I have no idea if it's for duty or brokerage fees.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You are looking at an item coming from an American seller enrolled into Global Shipping Service (GSP).

The "import charge" is an amount charged by Pitney Bowes, working under contract for eBay, to arrange for consolidation of shipments from their distribution centre in Kentucky to your location in Canada.

For items priced at more than Cdn$ 20.00, the "shipping charge" shown will include the amount due to the seller to ship domestically from his location to Kentucky and the amount to move the parcel from Kentucky to your destination.

The amount shown under "import charges" represent the amount of GST or HST payable plus a handling fee ($4/$5) to Pitney Bowes plus duty (if applicable).  Unfortunately, many sellers do not properly inform eBay at time of listing on where the item was manufactured.  We all know it is duty free if manufactured in the USA or Mexico under NAFTA (although GST or HST apply). If the seller does not show the item manufactured in NAFTA country, duty will be calculated automatically and included in "import charge".

For items priced at less than $20, there is no "import charge". However, in such instance, the shipping charge will include both shipping charge and the handling fee from Pitney Bowes ($4/$5).

Most Canadians buyers do NOT buy listings offered by American sellers requesting shipping through GSP.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

By the way, it does not matter under Canadian laws if the item is new or used.  Both require payment of taxes (GST or HST) and duty if applicable.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

YOUR DEAD WRONG ... the CANADIAN FREE TRADE AGREEMENT BETWEEN CANADA and the USA TRUMPS THIS

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

"YOUR DEAD WRONG ... the CANADIAN FREE TRADE AGREEMENT BETWEEN CANADA and the USA TRUMPS THIS"

This ought to be good. Where's the popcorn...

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Show with popcorn? Smiley Happy

There is no point ..... Obviously the poster has his mind made up and does not want to learn.  There is nothing anyone can do for him.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Now, for readers really and seriously interested in learning about NAFTA, here is the full text of the Agreement:

http://www.sice.oas.org/trade/nafta/naftatce.asp

Happy reading

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

On a slight tangent...

How does a US seller whose item currently shows to ebay.ca as a GSP listing switch that to USPS?

What steps does the seller need to take?  I have one who might switch... if they are given the steps.

I've never sold on ebay, so have no idea what to suggest.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

My understanding is that seller needs to end the listing with GSP and start a new listing (using "sell a similar item) shipping with USPS.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

My understanding is that seller needs to end the listing with GSP and start a new listing (using "sell a similar item) shipping with USPS.

Since Canada can be excluded as a country for the GSP for a few months now, I think the listing can be just revised to exclude Canada and add an USPS shipping option for Canada.

Can someone confirm this?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Your seller can look here at "Alternative shipping options", re Canada, and "Opting out"

www.pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#opt-out 

Also, the FAQ, good luck. 

www.pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/advanced-shipping/Global-Shipping-Program/GSPUAFAQs....

GSP opt out 3.JPG

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Information to help out American sellers who are willing to opt out:

On ebay.com go to:

MY EBAY | ACCOUNT tab | SITE PREFERENCES | SHIPPING PREFERENCES - SHOW.

You should then see what your setting is for GLOBAL SHIPPING OPTIONS.

Click EDIT on the right side and then OPT OUT, then confirm your OPT OUT.

It can take 72 hours to kick in.

According to many posters, there is an option to opt out ONLY for particular listings - you don't need to opt out of the entire program.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply