Justin Trudeau and Liberals focus on long game as fall session nears

OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau continues to generate a disproportionate amount of excitement and media attention more than six months after winning the federal Liberal leadership. But can it be sustained, and will it translate into electoral success?

The next few months will see byelections in Toronto and Montreal to replace Liberal MPs Bob Rae and Denis Coderre, respectively. The Liberals need huge victories in both to maintain their momentum and prove they are for real.

Liberals are also hoping for strong showings in the Manitoba ridings of Brandon-Souris and Provencher, both previously held by Conservatives, to prove Trudeau’s message is resonating with non-Liberals.

Here’s what you need to know about Trudeau, his party and its plan for the fall:

The Leader:

The eldest son of former prime minister Pierre Trudeau acknowledges he was born into privileged circumstances. He says his entrance into politics after stints as a teacher and public speaker was fuelled by a desire to give back to Canadians.

Trudeau proudly notes he wasn’t given a free ride to Parliament but fought hard to win the Montreal riding of Papineau in 2008.

He has simultaneously embraced his father’s legacy on such issues as federalism and human rights, and sought to distance himself from his father’s economic policies.

While touting a more open, inclusive and positive style of politics, Trudeau has found himself in hot water several times when speaking off-the-cuff, prompting questions over whether he is all style and no substance.

He was elected federal Liberal leader in April 2013.

Fall Focus:

Liberals are between rebuilding- and election-mode.

The byelections in Toronto, Montreal and Manitoba are taking a great deal of the party’s attention and energy. Trudeau has brought his star power to all three areas, and will do so until voters go to the polls.

Even after the byelections, Trudeau will spend as little time in Parliament as he hits the road to raise money and build a network of volunteers and candidates across the country for the next election campaign.

The Liberals will continue trying to brand themselves defenders of the middle-class; champions of a new style of politics; and the only choice for a Canada that includes Quebec.

Policies announced will be narrowly focused and targeted to play to the party’s strengths or shore up weaknesses. Detailed plans, including how the Liberals will stand up for the middle-class, won’t be revealed until next year at the earliest.

Strategy:

Byelections aside, it’s the long game for Trudeau and Company.

That means raising money and recruiting people, both of which are the focus as Trudeau attends events and meets Canadians across the country over the next few months.

While the Conservatives and NDP both plan to target Trudeau, the Liberal leader will try to turn their attacks around by accusing them of continuing to engage in “divisive, cynical politics,” and offering Canadians better.

With the Conservatives having all but given up on the province, and the NDP forced to appease soft-nationalists who supported it in 2011, the Liberals see an opening in Quebec and will try to present themselves as the only real federalist option.

Strengths:

Trudeau generates excitement and makes headlines wherever he goes, which has created momentum and energy.

The party has also seen an injection of new blood at the top, with Trudeau having a young team around him that bears little resemblance to the old guard that long-held sway.

And Liberals appear united under one banner for the first time in recent memory. They also still have experienced, respected figures in caucus, and a brand that endures despite a decade of decline.

Stars:

Finance critic Scott Brison brings financial expertise and credibility. He and Chrystia Freeland are co-chairing an economic advisory panel aimed at building the party’s economic platform in advance of the election.

A journalist and author, Freeland is the Liberal candidate in Toronto-Centre and seen as the first “star” candidate to join the Liberals since Trudeau’s leadership victory in April.

Former astronaut Marc Garneau continues to enjoy national respect and provides valuable name recognition.

Garneau is co-chairing a Liberal advisory panel on foreign affairs and defence with retired lieutenant-general Andrew Leslie, who created a plan two years ago on how the federal government could save billions in defence spending without undermining the Canadian Forces. The government shelved the report, something Leslie didn’t appreciate.

Former Newfoundland and Labrador minister Yvonne Jones is also someone to watch after defeating former Conservative minister Peter Penashue in a byelection in Labrador in May.

Achilles Heel:

Trudeau’s perceived lack of experience is his biggest weakness. Questions persist about his judgment, as well as his ability to match up against Stephen Harper and Tom Mulcair. His name remains divisive.

The Liberals’ historic and ongoing reliance on Quebec for political success is also a problem as it must appeal to la belle province without selling out the rest of the country.

And the Liberal caucus is getting older, with some members arguably past their best before dates.

Cliché:

“This is about offering Canadians in 2015 not just a different government, but a better government.”

Number of Seats:

34 MPs; 33 Senators

Defining Quote:

“(Canadians) are giving us a chance, hopeful that the party of Wilfrid Laurier can rediscover its sunny ways. Hopeful that positive politics has a fighting chance against the steady barrage of negativity that you and I both know is coming soon to TV screens across Canada.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/14/justin-trudeau-and-liberals-focus-on-long-game-as-fall-sessi...

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

nan*55
Community Member

"will it translate into electoral success"

Not likely!!!   Needs to do a tad of growing up first!

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

""will it translate into electoral success""

Not likely in MB, SK and AB. 

However, those provinces are not the main target of the Liberal Party at this time.  I expect them to concentrate their efforts where the votes are: ON, QC and BC.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

We will see 😉

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

I'm not one to argue politics, because I do not have the words or the knowledge. I am the average Canadian voter.

But I will put it this way....... I used to be a Liberal!

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I will put it this way.........I'm not a supporter of any political party......I chose by the human being. In my personal estimation Trudeau has the freshness, vitality and optimism that made Canada the great respected country it use to be before Harper came along. Out of all the possible candidates for future PM, it is Trudeau that will give us a future.............NOT Harper.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Poor Liberals have a ton of ground to make up. Harper put them in an unenviable position, in the corner. The real race in the 2015 election is going to be between the NDP and the Liberals which will split the vote wide open making the exercise another grand slam home run for the Conservatives. Smiley Very Happy

Stevie%20003.jpg  

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Oh please!!!!!!!!! that photo is so staged it looks like it came from a grade 9 photography course.

This is REAL..................trudeau-family-500x332.jpg

Photobucket
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

"freshness, vitality and optimism", and a platform of legalizing pot and working for the middle class.  What a joke.

Harper will make mince out of him in any debate.  

Bring it on!

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuSpZ3_5pTc

Link provided to show what happened to the last blowhard who smugly boasted they were going to make mincemeat out of Justin Trudeau. Yeah, it was that Brazeau guy, yeah, that one, the guy Stephen Harper appointed to the Senate of Canada.

In case you don't want to watch, yes, Justin mopped the floor with this guy, even though he approached the fight and the aftermath with total class and modesty.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I've actually never watched the whole fight. Brazeau is a street fighter in a ring with rules.......doesn't work. He also was too confident of himself and went in and wore himself out half way through round 1. You can see him with his mouth open sucking in air because he has already expended his energy. Trudeau is a technical fighter and just let Brazeau wear himself out........the same as he will do to Harpie.

Round 2......Brazeau still worn out and Trudeau stays technical with jab after jab. (good move). Brazeau starts holding on to ropes and flaying away with one hand. (that's a sign that he's history).

Round 3...... the Conservative Apocalypse. 

Now if Trudeau had only told Levant to step in the ring.........it would have made my day.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

yeah that would be one for the ages,,,

although Ezra and Calgary's Mayor Nenshi may be working themselves up to a grudge match, which would also be pretty good!

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

We are two years away from the next federal election.

As stated earlier, I would have preferred to see Justin NOT run for the leadership at the time.  A few more years gaining experience and maturity would have been beneficial.

It will be ABH (Anybody But Harper) type of campaign, assuming Harper decides to run.  I expect he will read defeat in the tea leaves and call it a day in late 2014, early 2015.

With a new leader for the Conservatives (Moore maybe) it will be interesting.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

valve37
Community Member

Team Harper lands a big one for the long term economic prosperity of Canada. Eat your heart out Justin!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ceta-canada-eu-free-trade-deal-lauded-by-harper-barroso-1.2125122

Prescottonians won't need to cross over to Ogdensburg NY in the future to purchase dairy products at half (or less) the price they are currently. The bridge is only a hop skip and a jump from Prescott.  

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

The spelling is actually LIEBERALS

Message 15 of 35
latest reply

I worry about you sometimes valve. More free trade just takes good manufacturing jobs away and destroys future jobs. We increasingly become only comsumers and not creators of anything. That makes us weaker and other countries stronger and wealthier. But you're retired, on a good pension and personal investments (that you have talked about in the past), so the future isn't as important to you as it is for individuals and families.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Perhaps D those not so fortunate as you and I will be able to afford resonably priced dairy products in their diet. Think on the positive side. The manufacturing jobs didn't leave Ontario with a trade deal. They left with 10 years of McGintyism and trade unions.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Perhaps D those not so fortunate as you and I will be able to afford resonably priced dairy products in their diet

I haven't seen a bigger sham of an issue than this. (and there were also some Liberalsm, like Martha Hall-Findlay, on this bandwagon) Too bad smart people like valve get fooled by the spin doctors.

Last time I checked a liter of milk was already less expensive than virtually anything else in the corner store, including all 200 different types of coloured or flavoured sugar water, and in many cases, milk is even cheaper than water, that multi-national corporations pump out of our ground for like $10 per million liters or whatever...

Last time I checked, Hubba Hubba Wild Berry Zonga Juice did not have a marketing board and it still costs more than milk! Meanwhile, in case anyone had forgotten, you actually have to grow cows to produce milk. The fact it is somewhat cheaper in the U.S. - you could probably explain by the price of gas and a few other things. 

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Art explained the milk situation very well.

As for the jobs they started leaving with Mulroney and his Free Trade deal. I would have thought you would have remembered the plant closings in Ontario.

Lastly, trade unions. Are you complaining about them as well? You shouldn't, you belonged to one and that's why you have your comfortable pension. And you have mentioned you have a son who is a cop. He's in a union and from what I read he too is doing well now and also will have a massive pension. http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/02/01/12692146.html

So you're doing ok, your family is doing ok all thanks to unions, but now you encourage bringing in more free trade and putting some guy with a family (or more people) who work at a Canadian cheese factory..............out of work! And why do you want more free trade, bringing in cheaply made goods that we have no control over their manufacturing safety?........so you can save a buck or two at the grocery store.

But I'm curious, what would you tell the guy and his family who will lose his job because of more free trade?

Photobucket
Message 19 of 35
latest reply

Art, I guess you are helping to subsidize cheese prices in QC. A radio talk show here brought in a vendor of our downtown market who stated she cannot afford to carry Ontario cheese, seems she has to buy it from QC. Marketing boards have to go, let the free market prevail!

Message 20 of 35
latest reply