Justin meets with "Idle No More" Chief Spence

valve37
Community Member

This could go on for some time yet.

Justin Trudeau meets with hunger striking chief Theresa Spence

OTTAWA — Like many Canadians, Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence spent a quiet Christmas morning with her family, opening presents with two of her five daughters.

But far from her home on James Bay, Spence entered the third week of a hunger strike Tuesday, an action she says won’t end until Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov. Gen. David Johnston agree to sit down and talk about Canada’s treaty relationship with First Nations leadership.

She did have a visitor on Boxing Day, however, Liberal Leadership hopeful Justin Trudeau came by to meet with the First Nations leader.

“It was deeply moving to meet [Theresa Spence] today. She is willing to sacrifice everything for her people. She shouldn’t have to,” Trudeau wrote on twitter.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/26/theresa-spence-justin-trudeau/

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

Gotta love a photo op--all he needs is a baby to kiss

Message 2 of 146
latest reply

Yawn.  Another publicity stunt for Spence and Justin.  The caring politician stages a photo op with the starving Chief.  Boo hoo;  cry me a river, Justin.  You too, Spence.

Message 3 of 146
latest reply

Gotta love a photo op--all he needs is a baby to kiss

Justin's handlers coulda got way more Media mileage outta this if they had supplied their Icarus with a MacDonalds Big Mac to eat while commiserating with the oppressed starving Chief. 

Message 4 of 146
latest reply

Another publicity stunt for Spence and Justin.  The caring politician stages a photo op with the starving Chief

have you seen photo's?  she far from starving!!

think jared should have offered her some Subway!!

Message 5 of 146
latest reply

Still hoping to get my Christmas present. I just need to know where it is.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 146
latest reply

Still hoping to get my Christmas present. I just need to know where it is.

Mybe you were on the "naughty" list this year.

Message 7 of 146
latest reply

Looks like she is using this as an excuse for a diet.

Message 8 of 146
latest reply

Mybe you were on the "naughty" list this year.

Just need one location .....actually.....make that two.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 146
latest reply

Another publicity stunt for Spence and Justin.  The caring politician stages a photo op with the starving Chief

have you seen photo's?  she far from starving!!

think jared should have offered her some Subway!!

You gotta be kidding - poor ole Teresa looks positively gaunt. One certainly hopes she is able to fully recover when this herbal magic-mirrors diet fad ends.  Bobby Sands didn't, but he was a tad more resolute.  Perhaps the prison menu didn't agree with him either. 

Message 10 of 146
latest reply

Racism is so easy to see.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 146
latest reply

Justin's handlers coulda got way more Media mileage outta this if they had supplied their Icarus with a MacDonalds Big Mac to eat while commiserating with the oppressed starving Chief.

Now that's funny - thanks for the smile 🙂

Message 12 of 146
latest reply

Racism  becomes very clear when anyone mentions Israel.

Message 13 of 146
latest reply

I have met many first nations over years, and even worked for two - and most of them were racist - when it cames to non-natives.  They felt that the whites owed them a living. 

Message 14 of 146
latest reply

Nu, again I have to help you. Your basis for your comment about Israel is because it is Jewish and you believe that Israel is thus a state consisting of a race of people. Judaism is not a race because Jews do not share one common ancestry. For instance, Ashkenazi Jews and Sephardic Jews are both "Jewish." However, whereas Ashkenazi Jews often hail from Europe, Sephardic Jews often hail from the Middle East. The majority of the Ashkenazi Jewish population, are not the children of Abraham but descendants of pagan Eastern Europeans and Eurasians, concentrated mostly in the ancient Kingdom of Khazaria in what is now Ukraine and Western Russia. The Khazarian nobility converted during the early Middle Ages, when European Jewry was forming.

People of many different races have become Jewish over the centuries. Also, although today Israel is often called the Jewish homeland, being Jewish is not a nationality because Jews have been dispersed throughout the world for almost two thousand years. Hence, Jews come from countries all over the world.

Being Jewish means that you are part of the Jewish people, whether because you were born into a Jewish home and culturally identify as Jewish or because you practice the Jewish religion (or both).

I have met many first nations over years…etc

I have met them myself….but I also ask myself... ‘why’? The answer is very simple for anyone who knows history. If you had been born Native and your forefathers and parents treated as they were and the land stolen and your people murdered and your children taken away from your family and now the latest government changing laws to make it easier to take more land………I think you would feel the same as them. Hatred and anger is not born in a human….it is taught to them.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 146
latest reply

People of many different races have become Jewish over the centuries.

Are you referring to Sammy Davis Jr. Deacon ? lol

Jews come from countries all over the world.

True, our neighbours are Polish Jews.

Message 16 of 146
latest reply

Dr. Pamela Palmater who use to work at Justice Canada. She has been a practicing lawyer for 14 years and she holds the position of Associate Professor and Chair in Indigenous Governance in the Department of Politics and Public Administration, and heads the Centre for Indigenous Governance at Ryerson University.

She has her Doctorate in the Science of Law (JSD) in Aboriginal Law at Dalhousie University Law School. In addition, she holds a Master of Laws (LLM) in Aboriginal Law, a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) with an award in environmental and natural resources law, and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) with a double major in Native Studies and History. Her Masters thesis focused on the Aboriginal and treaty right to cross the Canada-US border, while her doctoral thesis focused on the Indian Act’s registration and band membership provisions.

(Part 1 of 4 parts, the other three of which can be seen to the right of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STatNSjcrvo 

Photobucket
Message 17 of 146
latest reply

Shocking revelation:  Spence ain't no Gandhi,

“Calvin Helin worked his way up from an impoverished boyhood in a remote First Nations village in northern British Columbia to become a successful lawyer and international businessman. He has dedicated his life to helping others break the bonds of economic dependency and emerge with newfound confidence and self-worth. He proposes groundbreaking, positive solutions in down-to-earth language that show the road to self-reliance. Economic dependency is not “Aboriginal in Nature”, but independence, adaptability, and resilience are. Calvin Helin was interviewed after his Frontier speech in Calgary on January 18, 2011.”

FC: Dependency has created dysfunction among First Nation populations, yet some First Nations want self-government right now. Do you believe dysfunction must be addressed before self-government can be achieved or can both dependency and self-government be addressed at the same time?

CH: You need to prepare for self-government with a long transfer period where you have a strategic plan in place with a timeline and measurable goals at each step of the way because if not, you’re setting yourself up for failure.

FC: How can economic dependency be overcome on First Nation communities?

CH: I think people, for of all, at an individual level, need to understand how they got into the situation. Then, once you understand that, you have to accept  the reality. Many people are in denial about it. It is like people who claim they are not really alcoholics: They just have a drink every day, many times a day. You have to accept the reality and own it in your heart and soul. No one else can have your self-interest in mind. It is a myth that somebody else can have your own interest in mind. Then, you have to, I think, decide on a plan of action that should be guided by a personal strategic plan that again, have measurable timelines and strategic goals and so on.

http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/3576

Message 18 of 146
latest reply

Apple

Photobucket
Message 19 of 146
latest reply

Orange

Message 20 of 146
latest reply