Major Hack in Europe

Many critical sites have been hacked in Europe.

Ransomware  is the action..... Ransomware can kill everything on one's computer

Always be careful what you do..... and today..... be very careful in responding to emails.

There is no indication that eBay has been affected in Europe..... but.. Sellers be careful

We do not want this to crawl in through a back door.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Major Hack in Europe

I thought this was limited to a few sites in Spain. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I thought this was limited to a few sites in Spain. 

It ventured a bit further out.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

Major Hack in Europe

Be careful  with these reports, as they could be a part of the Hack attack...  

It could be the second click in a report  that might release that something none of us wants.

My experience with a Ransomware situation  was simple....  Spyhunter was used to remove it....and it worked because  I had a second computer  where I was able to find out what to do to remove the attack.  The second computer was not attacked 

In a report about the attack there was a a note that the attack was through a computer system that was using Windows XP.   the Spanish situation.  This may be a part of the problem.   Not too sure how the Ransomware was dispersed among the systems in Europe.....

Right now it is important not to click on an email that is not known to be "correct"  or to click on a link in an email or an attachment...

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

CNN Report

99 countries affected .....

Stolen NSA Spy Tool

Exploited weaknesses in Windows computers

Data breaches... companies.... not too sure about personal computers....

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

I can assure you that the two links I posted are legit.
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

From CNN  and then the internet

Evidently the spread of the Hack has been stopped.

Did some reading about Ransomware...  and do go and read.....

That  we can be protected by Norton Internet Security,  by Windows 10..... and more... but... nothing is prefect.... nothing is absolute.

Ransomware is everywhere... and can be a reality  

However, it is with this major attack that things went almost worldwide.

As regular users of computers, and with a constant link to the internet... This attack in Europe  was just a reminder that Ransom ware is in many forms, and ready to infect any computer.

According to various sources on the internet....  the number of ransom ware virus options  is  increasing.

My Norton was tuned up early this morning..

The Windows people have prepared  protection updates for all systems including Windows XP.... 

We must be vigilant.....  The Europe attack was a reminder that vigilance is an absolute necessity.

We must recognize that hackers are getting better with each passing day.

This attack in Europe was a wake up call....  Viruses are everywhere.....  and then something more such as phishing.....  

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

I rarely lose sleep over stuff like this; I'm fairly careful with what I do online.
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

It is important for us to know what could happen...  

Each of us establishes a routine .... a protocol for selling on eBay .....

and we follow the routine, with the recognition of the many aspects of being tied to the internet.... without worry about something  until we encounter something different

The hack  now appears to be under control .....Now the concern is copycats...

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

Honestly, if I could portion what percentage of my thinking time was spent on which subjects like an an illustration of a pie chart, 'Hackers' would be lumped in with 'Asteroids Wiping Out Life on Earth' and 'Death by Strangulation With a Tube Top' as something that crosses my mind .0000045 per cent of the time. 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I understand ransomware is used when someone takes over a computer network and denies access to it until a certain amount of money/bitcoins have been paid. They tend to target the systems for large companies, hospitals etc. I would think that the chance of an individuals computer getting caught up in that would be slim....but that's just my opinion.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

I'm certainly not an expert but that is as I understand it too. 

Targeting individual Joe Schmoes like you and me would be time-consuming for potentially little pay-off.

Like I said, I honestly spend more time being worried that I'm going to die in a horrible and embarrassing fashion like some kind of freak accident so bizarre that no one will ever remember who I was or what I did in life other than that 'she was the woman who was strangled by her tube top during a tornado' than I do about falling victim to ransomware.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I understand ransomware is used when someone takes over a computer network and denies access to it until a certain amount of money/bitcoins have been paid. They tend to target the systems for large companies, hospitals etc. I would think that the chance of an individuals computer getting caught up in that would be slim....but that's just my opinion.

That is one way, but in general they rely on unpatched vulnerabilities on a host system OS which allows the actor to run code and do things like encrypt your files to lock access. Attack methodology can be through any number of mediums, but compromised sites and email are fairly common. This attack spread so quickly as the vulnerability was a serious one and many people are still very unwise in maintaining their OS. If you had windows automatic updates enabled, this was patched since March, with the exception of XP. Large organizations get hit because their sys admins may be lazy, overworked, or they may be overcautious in updating systems.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

Well there's a plot bunny for my Creative Writing class!

Apparently, the hack was from an American NSA code which was stolen and published then given a criminal twist.

Wonder if the hacked services (which include the British National Health) could sue the NSA for designing the code in the first place?

Given US courts, I would not be surprised.

On the third hand, it does not seem to have any effect on Macs *smug*.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

@reallynicestamps wrote:

On the third hand, it does not seem to have any effect on Macs *smug*.

Hackers know Mac users are not adverse to simply buying a new machine instead of paying a ransom. Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Major Hack in Europe

Major Hack in Europe

gosh i need to up my firewall.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply