The Folk You Meet At Times

When  I lived in a Rural area of Ontario in the 70's got to know a number of the Local Folk.    People that had lived there most of their Lives went through the Depression and made do any way they could. 

Met some very fascinating folk while there. Used to love just sitting down with them ask a question about their youth and spend the next hour or two just listening. 

Some of these people had rarely if ever left the County.  Remember one guy who proudly told me that he had been to A Mid Sized City once for the day. This was  about an hour South of where we lived His once and only time out of the County 

Another man told me during the Depression he was raising a young family and opportunities to make a living were few and far between.  He finally landed a job doing Road Construction In Muskoka. (The Gravenhurst/Bracebridge area)  Used to stay in a bunk house during the week then came home on the Weekends. Would leave work at 4 P.M. Friday  and walk the distance through the bush.  Usually arriving home mid Saturday Morning  would stay til Sunday afternoon and walk back to work

My absolutely favorite Couple were in their early to mid 80's.  Living in a Ranshackle House they raised Chickens and Goats. Not a lot of land but lots of critters.   They reminded me of Ma and Pa Kettle.  Used to visit them would sit in the Kitchen but before doing that had to clear the table and chairs of chickens and at times chase the goats out. They ruled the Roost. Always offered me something to eat but never was Brave enough to do so

They lived close to a Road between 2 small communities. The County decided to expand the Road.  They were non to pleased with this  even though most of the land under construction belonged to the County.  Sitting on the Porch the Woman smoking a Corn Cob Pipe  or Using Chewing Tobacco would have a shotgun beside her Rocking chair filled with Buckshot. Whoa Betide any Construction Worker who got to close.   She would shoot at them with it and at times get them in the Rear End.  

The Police would arrive confiscate the Shotgun give her a warning but did not arrest her due to her age.  She would listen quietly they would leave then she would go to the back shed and bring out another Shotgun. Constantly heard it go off.  This went on for awhile until they checked all the property and got all the Guns she had. Then she would sit on the Porch and Curse at them!   Heard an awful lot of that   She put some to shame with the words she knew 

Miss these folk they were total Characters

A Man down the road the other way was again in his 80's. Talking to him one morning he was Totally Miffed!  Asked him what happened. The night before he was down at the River bordering his property Fishing. Does not  seem to far out there but it is how he did it. He used a Flash Light and Spear Fished.  A Big No ! No ! with the Lands and Forest officials   Two arrived on his property and charged him for doing so.  

So what did he do?   

Chased them off his property with the Spear

Told me no way would he listen to them he had owned this property years before there  was a Lands and Forest and no way was any one going to tell him he could not do

There was a Sugar Bush that the Organization I worked for owned For years hired the  Old Timers to work it.  Had a Bulldozer  but usually used Horses and skids. The stories they used to tell me about living in the area

I love talking to Older Folk. If  one takes the time to Listen you never know what you will learn and the stories you will hear

I am starting to get up there but don't have the stories they did 

weavers

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0