eBay Will No Longer Tolerate Off Topic Discussion Posts ~ eBay Soapbox

Posted on ecommercebytes Nov 8, 2022. Something to ponder

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2022/11/1667918175.html

eBay Will No Longer Tolerate Off Topic Discussion Posts. Mentions by invite only to forum.

According to the announcement pinned to the top of the eBay Soapbox forum, it will make the board private on November 16, 2022. Did eBay Canada ever  have a soapbox forum?

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Soapbox/Soapbox-board-will-move-on-November-16-2022/m-p/33314372#M...

Disclaimer: Not sure if this post would qualify or would be more like a tree falling in the forest?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What's a soapbox?

I'm not sure to understand the post, people won't be able to see the posts from sellers publicly?

Is it only for US boards?

This should be the standard imo i never understood why sellers posts are public or that we also can't delete our things. Anyone can dislike or disagree about something a seller write and decide randomly to cause trouble to him for it. A seller can share a dispute story and buyer can find it, vice versa. The community boards can cause prejudice and the fact that most create a separated 'posting account' prove it. I personally moved all my items to another account and it took me many weeks to do it because i wanted to separate my activities. Seller boards should either be private, or they should let us delete our threads

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

What's a soapbox?

I'm not sure to understand the post, people won't be able to see the posts from sellers publicly?

Is it only for US boards?

This should be the standard imo i never understood why sellers posts are public or that we also can't delete our things. Anyone can dislike or disagree about something a seller write and decide randomly to cause trouble to him for it. A seller can share a dispute story and buyer can find it, vice versa. The community boards can cause prejudice and the fact that most create a separated 'posting account' prove it. I personally moved all my items to another account and it took me many weeks to do it because i wanted to separate my activities. Seller boards should either be private, or they should let us delete our threads

Small clarification. Soapbox is an additional discussion board on dot com. It may or may not have been available on ca at some point in time. If you check the dot com discussion forum (and intl ebay sites) the varity of available boards varies greatly. Soapbox is more a like a catchall for everything else that is not really related to eBay...Opinion, Music, Politics etc.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Soapbox/bd-p/2124

-Lotz

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
I think this board was once called “The Soapbox” before it morphed into Canada Town Square when a new board administrator took over running the Community boards.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
I think this board was once called “The Soapbox” before it morphed into Canada Town Square when a new board administrator took over running the Community boards.

@marnotom! 

Now you're just dating yourself.🙂 Wayyyyy before my time. I just call the current Canadian Board....Board with Missing Dropdowns or Canada Board Lite. Both roll off the tongue!!! The junk you learn by going to the dark side of eBay!!!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

This dates back to 2001. Looks to me as though the Soapbox actually existed on eBay.com but its purpose was quite different from what it is now.

21A697D7-CB2F-4DD5-BE60-2B75D460DA5D.png

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"Soapbox" is a term based from public speakers, usually with strongly held opinions, who might use a wooden box that might have been used to ship soap, which is very heavy, to stand above his audience in order to be heard better.
For example, when Twitter blocked Donald Trump, it was said to have "taken away his soapbox".

The Soapbox Board was filled with a lot of angry people and conspiracies.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply