New Small Sized Prepaid CP Boxes

An FYI to anyone using the new small prepaid boxes. It was dropped off and scanned 2 days ago. The tracking was manually updated in eBay. eBay tracking only shows as label created. CP is showing it out for delivery at destination. My guess is the eBay system is not recognizing the format. If things change will update. The format is PG#########CA. 

-Lotz

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

An FYI to anyone using the new small prepaid boxes. It was dropped off and scanned 2 days ago. The tracking was manually updated in eBay. eBay tracking only shows as label created. CP is showing it out for delivery at destination. My guess is the eBay system is not recognizing the format. If things change will update. The format is PG#########CA. 

-Lotz

The number should start with GD. Are you sure you entered it right?

@flipistics 

I attached the sticker to my copy. Exactly as noted. Rechecked tracking on CP. Item went from Edmonton to Fort Mc and was delivered as per CP a couple of hrs ago.  The box was purchased at beginning of release. Possibly a small run using that sequence? Normally with anything else dropped off and processed at the counter you see an acceptance scan with both systems. Systems should mirror each other.

-Lotz

You can file this under: "w-a-y-y-y off the record", but a little birdie let slip that someone(s) at CP corporate used the XPressPost 'PG' format instead of the Flat Rate Box 'GD' format for most (or at least some) of the early label print runs. This is why the rollout of the Extra-Small Box was so hit-or-miss...selling out quickly in primary markets while remaining totally AWOL or seriously delayed in all others.

As you've already discovered, that number is totally legit an displays correctly via CP tracking, and yet might not track as accurately via other apps programmed to look for a 'GD' instead of 'PG' prefix.

BTW, congratulations on bagging one of these CP 'unicorns'...especially out here in Alberta.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

-Lotz

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

-Lotz

@flipistics 

I attached the sticker to my copy. Exactly as noted. Rechecked tracking on CP. Item went from Edmonton to Fort Mc and was delivered as per CP a couple of hrs ago.  The box was purchased at beginning of release. Possibly a small run using that sequence? Normally with anything else dropped off and processed at the counter you see an acceptance scan with both systems. Systems should mirror each other.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@flipistics 

-Lotz

Yeah, that's weird. All of my flat rate boxes (both current and as far back as I recall) have started with GD. I checked the two extra smalls and smalls that I have atm and they both do as well.  Tracking has been normal using them.  It must be something weird with those ones that you have.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

-Lotz

@flipistics 

-Lotz

You can file this under: "w-a-y-y-y off the record", but a little birdie let slip that someone(s) at CP corporate used the XPressPost 'PG' format instead of the Flat Rate Box 'GD' format for most (or at least some) of the early label print runs. This is why the rollout of the Extra-Small Box was so hit-or-miss...selling out quickly in primary markets while remaining totally AWOL or seriously delayed in all others.

As you've already discovered, that number is totally legit an displays correctly via CP tracking, and yet might not track as accurately via other apps programmed to look for a 'GD' instead of 'PG' prefix.

BTW, congratulations on bagging one of these CP 'unicorns'...especially out here in Alberta.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

-Lotz

@flipistics 

-Lotz

Thanks for the update. Interesting to know. I actually have 2 of the PG version left. (Who knew CP would have to give parcels a rating?)  Now, with anything CP I find if I have the cash it never hurts to obtain before the price goes up.

As for tracking I am seeing along with other reporting with eBay and secondary sites are NOT always on the same page. I have a US shipment where CP states Problem with Address. USPS shows it as being deliver the same day at the note on CP.  Why it never hurts to check the 2 possible options when an issue is noted on 1.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the update. Interesting to know. I actually have 2 of the PG version left. (Who knew CP would have to give parcels a rating?)  Now, with anything CP I find if I have the cash it never hurts to obtain before the price goes up.

-Lotz

Well, if an aftermarket exists for postal gaffes like this, similar to stamp missprints, then you might have a future obscure collectible. Must be at least 2 such obsessively completist postal collectors out there...somewhere... 🤣

As for "ratings", 'PG' vs 'GD' denote very different streams in terms of handling, routing, and transport (e.g. XPressPost via Air vs. Flat Rate via Truck).  For this reason, in your situation, I would set aside those 2 remaining PG-prefix boxes for some kind of shipping emergency...like...say...a sale to Rimouski QC 3 or 4 days before the holiday shutdown. Jus sayin... 🤔

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

-Lotz

Well, if an aftermarket exists for postal gaffes like this, similar to stamp missprints, then you might have a future obscure collectible. Must be at least 2 such obsessively completist postal collectors out there...somewhere... 🤣

As for "ratings", 'PG' vs 'GD' denote very different streams in terms of handling, routing, and transport (e.g. XPressPost via Air vs. Flat Rate via Truck).  For this reason, in your situation, I would set aside those 2 remaining PG-prefix boxes for some kind of shipping emergency...like...say...a sale to Rimouski QC 3 or 4 days before the holiday shutdown. Jus sayin... 🤔

@doc_scribe 

Other than the PG/GD difference there is nothing to make 1 box stand out over the other. They work awesome for something heavier-ish (that fits exactly) going to a distant point. Not sooo good for something close by and small. (Alberta to NW Ont about the same price) Cheaper with the current eBay Level 4 discount. Fortunately just GST in AB so better bang for your buck. 

-Lotz

PS. As a side on the actual boxes CP decided rounding up on the measurements was not a requirement. Box measurements 24.1 x 8.9 x 16.5 cm. Looks like they were designed with Imperial measurements in mind. 9.5 x 6.5 x 3.5". Yet we are supposed to round up. Very double standard of them don't ya think? 😉

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

CP seems to have chosen to quietly allow all of those missprinted PG-prefix Extra Small Flat Rate boxes already sold to just be used until used up. In effect, this provides those lucky early customers with a FREE upgrade to pre-paid National XPressPost...which is what...at least a $10.00 service boost? Regionally, a waste, but Nationally, especially to a remote destination, a gift.

I wouldn't overthink this one Lotz. 😄

Message 9 of 9
latest reply