When replying to messages can only type 1 character at a time

Whenever I try to type in the messages textbox I can only get 1 letter at a time, its super time-consuming, and now for me to send or reply to messages I need to type the message elsewhere and paste it in.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Actually, this has been ongoing for months, I stopped using messages on my laptop, and now use the app. I am using Chrome.

I can send messages and type them fine, but as soon as I get a reply or a new message I cannot type more than a single character at a time, it's all "sticky", another eBay bug...

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Write out your messages in a text document.

Cut and paste. EASY.png

This assumes that the problem is only with eBay and not with your phone/pad/computer.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

yeah i'm already doing that

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Workarounds should not be necessary, but until the mistake is fixed at least we have them.

Sigh.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

"Workarounds" are unacceptable when you are "Paying" for a "service" from a "Provider" you become the paying customer...

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Are you using a browser add-on called Grammarly?

If so, try disabling it.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I can only type on character at a time, even when I touch type. My computer and phone go berserk if I try mashing my fingers down on their keyboards 🤪

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Hi Tyler

It's the Marketplace and I use Chrome, it happens in the "Messages" on the desktop version of the site this is the thread where I commented on the issue.

A few members have commented on the same thing, you can send a "new" message no problem, but if you get a reply, then you cannot reply.

You press a character, the character shows, but that's it you cannot type anything else no other character will show.

tyler@ebay

And, if any other members are having the same issue of responding to messages using the desktop/laptop of the ebay marketplace message system...

"Whenever I try to type in the messages textbox I can only get 1 letter at a time, its super time-consuming, and now for me to send or reply to messages I need to type the message elsewhere and paste it in."

Only one letter, then it sticks...

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

For me it's on and off but I do experience this issue as well.

When I type a letter in the message field, the letter appears then the message box deselects itself so I can't type in it. I have to click inside the message box again in order to type the next letter.

I don't use the mobile app much, but for communicating with buyers it is a necessity if I don't want to spend an hour typing each individual letter on my laptop.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yes, that's it exactly...

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

In the past, similar one-letter-at-a-time problems have been linked to using a Grammarly browser plug-in.

If you are using Grammarly or a similar grammar checking add-on, try disabling it.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I have the exact same problem. It shouldn't be too hard to fix. The last thing eBay sellers need is another way to waste time.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I turned Grammarly off and it works.

Thanks to everybody

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

This fixed it for me!

Thanks!!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply