Questions from Canadian ebay Seller

After taking a long hiatus from ebay , I have some questions that I would very much appreciate being updated on.

When I add a listing, do I have the option to list it in U.S. or Cdn dollars?

When I am billed from ebay - will my credit card be billed in CDN or U.S. Funds?

I will be listing with the BUY it NOW feature.  What is the recommended time period for such a listing?

Since I use Canada Post for shipping and since shipping costs depend on the value of each item, can I listing the shipping costs individually with each item on a listing page?

With regard to return policy and shipping policy, is that listed on each individual listing, or is there a feature on My ebay where I create a master permanent policy that buyers see?

I know that ebay takes a 10% commission on everything.  How much is it to list an item and photos?

How is business in general?

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@bayas-jewels wrote:

After taking a long hiatus from ebay , I have some questions that I would very much appreciate being updated on.

Things have changed a lot...

-..-

When I add a listing, do I have the option to list it in U.S. or Cdn dollars?

To list in Canadian $ list on eBay.ca

To list in American $ list on eBay.com (the option to list in US$ is being phased out this year on eBay.ca

-..-

When I am billed from ebay - will my credit card be billed in CDN or U.S. Funds?

On eBay.ca you can select what billing currency eBay should use. It's one of your account options.

-..-

I will be listing with the BUY it NOW feature.  What is the recommended time period listing?

Your choice of 5 day, 7 day, 10 day or 30 day.  Avoid 1 and 3 day since there are extra charges.

For BIN I use 30 day unless I have a reason to go for a shorter time period.

For Auctions with BIN the best choices are 5 day, 7 day or 10 day.

-..-

How much is it to list an item and photos?

If you don't have a store, you get 50 free listings on eBay.CA and 50 free listings on eBay.COM every month. You can have 1 to 12 photos free per listing.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fees.html

-..-

Since I use Canada Post for shipping and since shipping costs depend on the value of each item, can I listing the shipping costs individually with each item on a listing page?

Each listing has it's own shipping section. Calculated shipping using Canada Post is available on eBay.CA as one of the choices. If listing on eBay.COM shipping must be flat rate.

-..-

How is business in general?

Depends entirely who you ask. Down/up/sideways.  For me, as small seller listing on both eBay.ca and eBay.com using free listings, sales have been fairly steady.

-..-

Best of luck with selling some more...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Since I use Canada Post for shipping and since shipping costs depend on the value of each item,

Shipping charges vary based on dimensions, weight and destination first.

Then you can choose the speed you want to use.

But Canada Post services are either tracked or not tracked, insured or not insured.

You can increase the amount of insurance you use, but frankly it's a waste of money.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

is the webpage you need to study.

Put in a few different destinations and dimensions to see what each service costs and what you get for the money.

can I listing the shipping costs individually with each item on a listing page?

There is a place on the Advanced Sell Your Item form on about page three (the Advanced SYI is in the dropdown menu. Use it.) for Calculated Shipping.

If your items require parcel rates,you can use Calculated Shipping for Canada where you also meet Regional and National pricing. but Flat Rates for USA and Overseas.

If the purchase is under 500 grams and 2cm thick, it can go LetterPost, which is cheap and fast but neither tracked nor insured. I use this a lot, and you should not.

I will be listing with the BUY it NOW feature.  What is the recommended time period for such a listing?

Auctions are over.

Use Fixed Price listings, Good til Cancelled. Every 30 days your unsold items will automatically relist. Less labour for you. And the most exposure for the listing fee.

And look at your listings on a smartphone.

One of the biggest changes is that the impulsive younger buyer is shopping on her mobile. Don't get too fancy with your listing.

(But do use as many of the 12 FREE pictures as you can.)

You may notice listing fees have dropped.

And that we currently have a Free Listing promotion on Fixed Price listings in Canadian dollars.

However, we are now being charged 10% fees for our shipping fee.

Think about offering Free Shipping domestically.

Don't panic!

This just means putting your shipping cost into the asking price.

Which is cheaper

A $5 item with $10 shipping

A $10 item with $5 shipping

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

And that FVF on Shipping is only charged on your domestic rate, no matter where you are shipping. So if you have Free Shipping to Canada, you pay no Shipping FVF on shipping to Germany.

Take your time.

Welcome back!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@bayas-jewels

Please look at your listings on a mobile?

Only a limited number of keystrokes from your description show on this important marketing tool. And the information your customer needs is well past that point.

Hello and Welcome to bayas-jewels.

Drop this entirely

Our shop is all about COLOR since our jewelry is set with the most vibrant colors and cuts of fine quality gemstones from the world over. OUR SPECIALTIES are rings, one for each finger and earrings as well as other special jewels that are made from silver, gold or silver combined with gold with many one-of-a-kind pieces. The European influence and infusion can be seen on each piece we design and create so that each jewelry piece reflects an individuality and uniqueness--as distinct as your signature. European influence, but designed and handmade at our studio in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Each piece of jewelry that is handcrafted  has meticulous attention to the finest detail and craftsmanship.

This should be at the END of your description.

If you have any questions or inquiries, please email us. It is our pleasure to assist you in anyway.

This should go in the middle.

f you have ever enjoyed a glass of rose wine, then these earrings will always remind you of that pretty color of wine. With its soft pink/red hue, these earrings will be noticed from a far away distance because of their intense color.  A spectacular feature of the earrings are their natural inclusions--1/2 has a little more than the other and the other half has a natural tiny crescent shaped marking on the surface that feels like a scratch but is not.  Garnet measures 7mm in circumference and is bezel set. The diamond set above the garnet is the icing on the cake and measures 1 pt. and is also bezel set.  Earrings have a hinge back and/or European closure. This is a pair of earrings that can be worn everyday. It was our pleasure to create these earrings for you. Garnet Four

This should go near the beginning.

The actual beginning should be more fact and less poetry.

Capuchon Garnets with intense colour. 7mm circumference, bezel set in 14k yellow gold.

Secure gold hinge/ European back closure.

Natural inclusions- tiny crescent surface inclusion on one earring, 1/2 has a little more than the other (what does this mean?)

Message 4 of 4
latest reply