December 19th 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone - 

Opening the chat up for you to leave a question. I'll reply tomorrow (Wednesday). 🙂

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Good evening, Tyler. Thank you for opening the chat and for being here to help us!

Did you hear the news?! https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2018/12/18/canada_post_pro...

Great news for Canadian shoppers but I think it comes a few days too late for your average ebay seller although one may always hope. 

And now for something completely different: I was looking to update my addresses and noticed a section on the address page that I don't remember being there before and it struck me as odd. Ebay asked if I was a man or woman. Or if I'd prefer not to say.

Given today's sensitivities to gender issues and gender identity/neutrality/non-binary/transgender identification, this struck me as being old-fashioned and, worse than that, totally tone deaf. If ebay wants to appeal to new, young and hip shoppers, I'd hope they would employ folks who think like new, young and hip shoppers. Asking someone 'whether they're a dude or not' is just uncool. 

I might be old and uncool myself but even I can spot super-uncool a mile away.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hi @momcqueen - so glad to hear that things are (hopefully) back on track and going to stay there - and I hope that you see business upswing because of it. 

As to the address screen gender question, I don't have any insight into this and am similarly confused. I know that we do send surveys occasionally that request demographic information like that but am unaware of something that would be attached directly to your address screen. 

Would you be willing to see if it's still there, grab a screenshot and shoot it to me in a PM? I want to send it up the ladder to see if we can get a 'why' this is being asked, and what can be done to be more inclusive (even if that's a 'prefer not to say' option). Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week - I'll be on the boards today and tomorrow, and then will be out of the office until Wednesday of next week. 

See you then, and have a happy holiday!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 4
latest reply