February 5 2020 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Happy February! 

The chat is now open for your replies. I'll be working on answers for you tomorrow afternoon. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Hello tyler, I just noticed some problems with my eBay invoices. Seems to have been going on since October. On the first page it shows a pie chart with the monthly sales versus monthly fees. Not sure why but the fees have always before been the same (or within a few pennies) as the invoice amount. The last few months they make no sense, they are much higher than the actual fees shown on my invoice. Any ideas where they are getting those numbers from?

This month (Dec 16 - Jan 15) the “Fees as a percentage of your sale” shows total monthly fees of 72.52% which I know is not correct!
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hi Tyler. Recently a Canadian buyer, using .ca, complained that the shipping charges shown on a promotional banner were not accurate when she checked the actual listing. She made this comment:  "It's a bit discouraging to decide on item based on all costs, and then when you get to check out the shipping is almost double.".

She also provided a screenshot, which I have attached.

I can verify that this buyer was correct. The shipping charges shown are indeed the US prices, converted to $CDN (which BTW, are much lower than our Canadian mailing costs, but that's another issue).  She implied that I was over-charging her by invoicing at the correct Canadian shipping cost.

Would you please ask your programmers to please display Canadian content to Canadian users on the Canadian site. Thanks!

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

I recently received a very extremely lowball offer from a US buyer. Messaged them with my counter and asked them what they were seeing. This is the response I received.

No as a matter of fact it does not show the comparison to American funds. That is why I took such a low stab in the dark hoping that it would be close to what I wanted to pay in US dollars.

Not sure if the buyer was using a pc or the app. I know when placing an offer on dot ca with a US seller there is a preview offer button that shows the applicable exchange rate. Does it work the same way on dot com? The other question I get from buyers making offers is...So shipping is included? Right? When I counter I add the note, shipping as per noted in listing. At that point I rarely hear back. Also, when a seller sends random offers to buyers, does it automatically convert based on their location?  As a seller we have no way of knowing where a "watcher" may be or even if it is to a country we may NOT want to ship to. Now we are locked in if the customer chooses to accept an offer.

-Lotz

PS. Are we getting any closer to the Sent Offers/Review all Offers tabs in eBay that still do not display any actual history, being modified/improved? A few of us are a bit baffled by how this works.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

This is something I would like clarified regarding the unfair tax issue.

Why did my Japanese buyer have to pay an 11% tax on his purchase just because he was using a forwarding company in Texas?  He is not a resident of Texas, the product was not purchased by the forwarding company in Texas  and the parcel was not staying in Texas.  Shouldn’t there be an exemption for this type of buyer?  Is every parcel that lands in Texas passing through a forwarding company before being forwarded to another country assessed the Texas state sales tax? 

When a buyer from Japan registers to buy on eBay, does eBay not “know” that he is from Japan? When PayPal charges me a commission they sure know which rate to charge me if the buyer is from Japan (3.9%) or Canada (2.7%)  or the USA (3.7%).    Even if the Japanese buyer is using a forwarding company in California, and the parcel lands in California, I am still charged 3.9% by PayPal  and not 3.7% (the US rate).  Does eBay not have the same capability regarding taxes? 

If I make an internet purchase from a Texas seller, I don’t have to pay the Texas state tax on that purchase since I am in Canada. My parcel lands in Chicago on it’s way to me in Canada and I do not get charged a state tax from Illinois just because the parcel landed there.  So why should my Japanese buyer have to pay the Texas State Tax just because his parcel lands in Texas on its way to Japan?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I have a customer who is trying to buy quite a few pins from me but it won't let him, I am pasting his email, any ideas

Am at a total stop here.

eBay system will not complete and send to you the Total Invoice request. Keeps failing (variable reason each time I try to send).
Currently about 50 of the 97 (was 99 but 2 have disappeared) show as being committed.

Contacted eBay Buying Team for help and after extended conversations with the rep was transferred to the supervisor who stipulated that the most practical way would be for you to contact the eBay Selling Team for assistance in resolving situation.

BTW eBay supervisor says the limitation of 99 items is likely due to your account settings.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:
Hello tyler, I just noticed some problems with my eBay invoices. Seems to have been going on since October. On the first page it shows a pie chart with the monthly sales versus monthly fees. Not sure why but the fees have always before been the same (or within a few pennies) as the invoice amount. The last few months they make no sense, they are much higher than the actual fees shown on my invoice. Any ideas where they are getting those numbers from?

This month (Dec 16 - Jan 15) the “Fees as a percentage of your sale” shows total monthly fees of 72.52% which I know is not correct!

Hi @msmaggie060 - great to hear from you!

The pie chart on your invoice looks at all charges we asses you, which is inclusive of your store subscription. So it doesn't look just at your Final Value Fees, which is why you're seeing it a much larger percentage of your fees. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@renata6 wrote:

Hi Tyler. Recently a Canadian buyer, using .ca, complained that the shipping charges shown on a promotional banner were not accurate when she checked the actual listing. She made this comment:  "It's a bit discouraging to decide on item based on all costs, and then when you get to check out the shipping is almost double.".

I can verify that this buyer was correct. The shipping charges shown are indeed the US prices, converted to $CDN (which BTW, are much lower than our Canadian mailing costs, but that's another issue).  She implied that I was over-charging her by invoicing at the correct Canadian shipping cost.

Would you please ask your programmers to please display Canadian content to Canadian users on the Canadian site. Thanks!

Hi @renata6 - I'll have a look and see if I can find out what could be happening. For the buyer involved, do you happen to have their postal code off the top of your head? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@renata6 wrote:

Hi @renata6 - I'll have a look and see if I can find out what could be happening. For the buyer involved, do you happen to have their postal code off the top of your head? Thanks!

I don’t think that it is a postal code problem.  When I click on any of that sellers listings and then scroll down to see ‘this sellers promotional listings’ it shows me the cost for shipping to the US, not the Canadian shipping cost. It isn’t until the buyer clicks on the listing itself that they will see the correct shipping cost.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

I recently received a very extremely lowball offer from a US buyer. Messaged them with my counter and asked them what they were seeing. This is the response I received.

No as a matter of fact it does not show the comparison to American funds. That is why I took such a low stab in the dark hoping that it would be close to what I wanted to pay in US dollars.

Not sure if the buyer was using a pc or the app. I know when placing an offer on dot ca with a US seller there is a preview offer button that shows the applicable exchange rate. Does it work the same way on dot com? The other question I get from buyers making offers is...So shipping is included? Right? When I counter I add the note, shipping as per noted in listing. At that point I rarely hear back. Also, when a seller sends random offers to buyers, does it automatically convert based on their location?  As a seller we have no way of knowing where a "watcher" may be or even if it is to a country we may NOT want to ship to. Now we are locked in if the customer chooses to accept an offer.

-Lotz

PS. Are we getting any closer to the Sent Offers/Review all Offers tabs in eBay that still do not display any actual history, being modified/improved? A few of us are a bit baffled by how this works.

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - 

From search results, the listing currency is displayed first, with the buyer's currency listed below. 

When making an offer the Buy It Now price is listed with the converted dollar amount just below (pictured below). It does not actively alter or display the converted amount of their offer until they choose the 'Review and confirm offer' button at which point it will fairly clearly display the converted amount before they choose 'Submit offer' (also pictured).  With your buyer's situation it sounds like maybe they wanted to save face. 

Shipping is not automatically included in a Best Offer. 

With Seller Initiated Offers to watchers, they would receive a message with your offer and the amount of their site currency just below it. 

If you do not offer shipping to a watcher's registered shipping address, they will not receive the offer.

Thanks!

PS: No update on that currently. :CItem listed on CA but shown on .comItem listed on CA but shown on .comWhen making an offer, the BIN price is on the right with the conversion just below. Note that the offer  field is in CADWhen making an offer, the BIN price is on the right with the conversion just below. Note that the offer field is in CADOn the next screen my offer of 40 CAD is displayed, along with the approximate USD conversion. I can still cancel out of this screen without any repercussionsOn the next screen my offer of 40 CAD is displayed, along with the approximate USD conversion. I can still cancel out of this screen without any repercussions

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Hello Tyler,

This is something I would like clarified regarding the unfair tax issue.

Why did my Japanese buyer have to pay an 11% tax on his purchase just because he was using a forwarding company in Texas?  He is not a resident of Texas, the product was not purchased by the forwarding company in Texas  and the parcel was not staying in Texas.  Shouldn’t there be an exemption for this type of buyer?  Is every parcel that lands in Texas passing through a forwarding company before being forwarded to another country assessed the Texas state sales tax? 

When a buyer from Japan registers to buy on eBay, does eBay not “know” that he is from Japan? When PayPal charges me a commission they sure know which rate to charge me if the buyer is from Japan (3.9%) or Canada (2.7%)  or the USA (3.7%).    Even if the Japanese buyer is using a forwarding company in California, and the parcel lands in California, I am still charged 3.9% by PayPal  and not 3.7% (the US rate).  Does eBay not have the same capability regarding taxes? 

If I make an internet purchase from a Texas seller, I don’t have to pay the Texas state tax on that purchase since I am in Canada. My parcel lands in Chicago on it’s way to me in Canada and I do not get charged a state tax from Illinois just because the parcel landed there.  So why should my Japanese buyer have to pay the Texas State Tax just because his parcel lands in Texas on its way to Japan?

Hi @gwrocen - Marketplace Facilitator laws require us to collect and remit sales tax for any buyer who's ship-to address falls within their boundaries.  

For your Japanese buyer having their item sent to a Texas address, they would be assessed sales tax unless they qualify for a state sales tax exemption and have gone through that process. More information on tax for items delivered to US addresses here. Information on the buyer exemption process here

If, however, they had you ship the item directly to Japan, there would be no sales tax assessed because the ship-to address would not be in a US state with a Marketplace Facilitator law in place. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I think it's where it's being shipped to not where you live. I am a Canadian with a post office box in NY and a a snowbird with an address in Florida. Last week I bought something and was about to have it shipped but realized I had the wrong address, There was no tax on my item but when I changed the address to Florida where I am at the moment, I had to pay tax, Other itmes work backwords so it 's where you're selling from as well as where it winds up as to the tax

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

I have a customer who is trying to buy quite a few pins from me but it won't let him, I am pasting his email, any ideas

Am at a total stop here.

eBay system will not complete and send to you the Total Invoice request. Keeps failing (variable reason each time I try to send).
Currently about 50 of the 97 (was 99 but 2 have disappeared) show as being committed.

Contacted eBay Buying Team for help and after extended conversations with the rep was transferred to the supervisor who stipulated that the most practical way would be for you to contact the eBay Selling Team for assistance in resolving situation.

BTW eBay supervisor says the limitation of 99 items is likely due to your account settings.

Hi @bunbar - there are limitations when it comes to how many items the shopping cart can handle at a time, and with your buyer hitting so many items in their cart that could very well be the reason. 

I'm confused how any of that, however, would be something you should contact CS for. If you know the precise error the buyer is getting I can look it up. 

Something that may work out better is to consider putting together a custom listing for the member to bring down the total number of items they're putting into the cart at once. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I'm not certain but I thought that the limit was that up to 40 items could be processed at one time.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I sent him an invoice for the 1st 40 items and it then let him get more, all is well, thanks

Is there any reason why you can't send an invoice for more than 40 items at a time? In all my years of selling it's been like that

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@msmaggie060 wrote:

The pie chart on your invoice looks at all charges we asses you, which is inclusive of your store subscription. So it doesn't look just at your Final Value Fees, which is why you're seeing it a much larger percentage of your fees. Thanks!

Hi again tyler, thanks for your answer, but I know that the store fees are included and i think it is still way out of line.  The "fees as a percentage of your sale" should include my store fees, should it not? All months up to Nov 2019 seem to reflect that and are correct. Could they have included shipping? Makes no sense.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

I sent him an invoice for the 1st 40 items and it then let him get more, all is well, thanks

Is there any reason why you can't send an invoice for more than 40 items at a time? In all my years of selling it's been like that

Hi @bunbar - me too! I've always been told it's a technical limitation. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi again tyler, thanks for your answer, but I know that the store fees are included and i think it is still way out of line.  The "fees as a percentage of your sale" should include my store fees, should it not? All months up to Nov 2019 seem to reflect that and are correct. Could they have included shipping? Makes no sense.

Hi @vintagenorth & @msmaggie060!

The pie chart calculates bases Fees and Sales off of these definitions:

Total monthly fees: excludes fee credits from refunds or unpaid items, non-recurring charges (e.g. late fees), shipping label charges, and PayPal fees.

Total monthly sales: excludes shipping costs paid by the buyer.  Refunds, unpaid items and sales donated to charity are not subtracted from the total monthly sales.

If either of you had any UPIs, returns or other situations that could also be impacting the chart. 

If you still feel that the chart for your invoice is inaccurate I definitely recommend contacting CS so they can review in detail. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat today! It's now closed. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 19
latest reply