June 23 2021 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Apologies for being absent yesterday (and throughout the rest of today as well) - I've come down with a summer cold and am going to spend most of today sleeping. 

Tomorrow we will be joined by a payments expert to address your questions - please leave them below!

As a reminder: they cannot address account specific concerns, so they may ask you to request a call back from a payments trained teammate.

See you then!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: June 23 2021 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

I just did a refund. I guess it takes a while:

"Your refund has been initiated.
Once we're done processing it, you will get an email explaining how we'll recover these refunds from you."

I list in CDN on .ca, refunds are in CDN. I've never had any indications of buyer's currency or the exchange rate, though you can be sure I'm losing a little on every one.

The refund just showed up on my transactions list, but there were no taxes refunded, just the full refund amound deducted from available funds.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

This was on the sales record:

Item subtotalC $10.00
ShippingC $3.49
Sales tax (eBay collected)C $1.12
DiscountC $0.00
Refund-C $3.78
Total**C $10.83

I refunded 3.49, no idea why it says refund was 3.78. Maybe eBay gave to buyer some of his sales tax? No refund of seller's taxes though.
Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote

When you issued the refund did it apply any taxes collected automatically? Also curious to know when you sell in Canadian funds and a buyer pays in US funds how it factors the exchange. As I recall anything with PayPal was pretty much easy peasy and automatic.

-Lotz

Since the seller is always paid in the currency they list in, there is no currency exchange on their end when they refund.  You are paid in Canadian, you refund in Canadian..just like it has always been done. 

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Hi Tyler

Long-time “legacy ebayer” 11/97, so from before ebay canada was even a wet dream in the back of the minds of the company, and third or fourth time caller. We have adapted and coped with the myriad of ebay changes over the years.  However the MP debacle is pushing the limits of endurance.

Help desks that don’t/won’t correct the problems even after saying it’s been done.

No provision for legacy sellers to register on ebay Canada for MP even after changing/updating registration Sellers restricted from selling. Yet still renewing store listings for “Good till ended” even though account is supposedly suspended and no relists should be allowed (guess you want the money for free). Still collecting store subscription fees while blocking auction relists.

Third party, off site “help experts”, as recommended by other users, would it not be more effective to retain those people as the front end help to FIX the problems in site?   It is so bad the ebay Canada has suspended enrollments in MP to sort the problems BUT still is blocking sellers.

So here’s a thought while this gets sorted,  maybe just maybe someone there pushes the “big green button” to reactivate the blocked accounts, can’t be that hard, as it sure seems easy to “red button” sellers.

Answers to when, why, how would be nice.

treasurrectionist  

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

I joined ebay before there was a CA and had no trouble switching to Managed Payments. 

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

It took me a while but it can be found in the drop down list on the Manage orders awaiting shipment page with each order  

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for getting your questions submitted for the payments team! I've blocked the chat from further replies to make sure that our expert has time to review and address them all. You will start seeing replies from them later today!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hope you feel better soon tyler!

I signed up end of April for MP and all has been good but now I am just confused! I have a store on this ID and was invoiced May 15th for store fees and they were deducted from PayPal  at end of May as per usual. The invoice even says that I have set up PayPal as my automatic payment method for store fees which is what I wanted when I set up  my MP account. Then on June 15th I received an invoice for store fees  of $38.47 for May 16 to June 15 and they were deducted immediately that day but from my bank account, not from PayPal. Why the change from PayPal to my bank acct and is this change now permanent? How did this change happen without me making changes to my MP account? 

For that matter, I still can’t find out how to check my settings in my account. I can’t find anything that says MP Account in my Seller Hub. Where do I find this please or am I looking in the wrong place?

Hi @msmaggie060 , it sounds like you joined managed payments in the middle of your billing cycle. When that happens, you'll receive an invoice which will be deducted from PayPal similar to how you used to pay fees. Moving forward, all fees (such as store subscriptions) are deducted from your available funds as mentioned in our onboarding materials. You can review your payout settings in the bottom right of the Payments tab of Seller Hub and also make adjustments to your payout methods in your wallet here.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@in-need-of-cash-too wrote:

How about you get ebay Canada to UNBLOCK the sellers that have been sent into limbo over MP sign-up problems.  I simply do not understand why sellers are/should being penilized over ebays failings. 

ebay has had months to get this right.  

Hi @in-need-of-cash-too - it doesn't look like the id you're posting with is currently being asked to register for payments. If you do run into issues onboarding please request a callback from a payments-trained teammate so they can assist. Thanks!

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@wired*4*sound wrote:

In my Seller's Hub, I have this msg - You need to update your account details on file—this is required to set you up for managed payments. Update account details. When I click on the link I get the screen to enter the micro-deposit amounts - but I have not received any and I suspect there may be an issue with the account number. Where do I change my bank account info? I've tried all the links and can not find how to do it. Been going around in circle for days.....really frustrating.

Hi @wired*4*sound , if you think there's an issue with the bank account number, you can change it once your account has been activated for payments. Go to your payout settings in the Payments tab of your Seller Hub or your wallet which is in your account settings.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

@ight.coin wrote:

From what I understand Managed Payments cannot be used by those long time Canadian Ebayers who originally signed up on Ebay.com (often referred to as legacy accounts). These 'Canadian' accounts originated in the late 1990's but only ebay.com was available then.

When .ca came along, the accounts that started on .com where then changed to .ca "Canadian". 

However it seems the country of registration is still USA not CANADA, so that means it wants us to sign up for managed payments using ebay.com even though the rest of the account is deemed to be primarily ebay.ca (CANADIAN).  I hope you have some idea as to what I am talking about here, there must be 100's of these legacy accounts.

I am unfairly restricted from, revising, and relisting and editing etc. How can I regain functionality of these features while ebay works on a solution. If possible, please remove these restictions on 'legacy' accounts until a solution is found.

Others have said that ebay may be able to switch the country of registration to Canada, but have not been told how and if this will negatively affect all of my listings.

In the meantime, I hope other legacy account holders can respond here with any solutions. (or use 'legacy account' keyword in title to seller board)

Hi @ight.coin , sellers in this position can use managed payments which is why we've asked you to sign up. If you're registered on eBay.com but have a Canadian address, you will be able to complete registration using your Canadian information with no site change required. Please note that if you are registered on eBay.com with a US address, you will be asked for US based information. It's important that your registered address on file is up to date before you start your registration.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

My account was activated April 19th.

In the beginning I felt that Transaction Details information was presented in a clear and concise manner, it was quite well done imo.

However, during the last two months the messaging has been updated multiple times, the formerly clear and concise messaging has been substantially lost in the process.

Example 1.

Total fees (VAT) Many sellers, in particular newly activated sellers will be confused by this language. A large majority of the general population in Canada understands little to nothing of VAT matters, some will inevitably read "VAT" and jump to erroneous conclusions.

Now, I assume the use of Total fees (VAT) is an attempt to point out that the Total fees amount includes VAT.  For clarity, it would be far better to delete the (VAT) language, there is already a separate VAT line provided in Fee Details that makes it clear that the Total includes VAT.

I respectfully suggest that whenever a Total fees amount appears on any Payments page DO NOT append (VAT) to it, simply state Total fees , if it is thought necessary to highlight that the Total fees amount includes VAT add one of those little round info icons for the user to click on.

Example 2.

Special Promotion line in Fee Details

I cannot remember now the exact language employed here before it was changed but the gist of it was that the line referred solely to the Top Rated Seller Discount. The language and it's meaning was crystal clear then, this is not the case today.

Now that it's been changed to Special Promotion I can only assume the amount shown on this line includes the TRS discount plus any other special promo savings that may apply. Stating the obvious here, but I would not describe the TRS discount as being a special promotion.

The TRS discount amount is currently still being shown on this line, will savings resulting from special promotions also be shown here? If they are, will those be presented on a separate line, or lumped together with the TRS discount?

I've included a couple of marked-up screenshots for illustration purposes.

20210622_113623.jpg

20210622_113105.jpg

Thanks for this detail and input @kawartha-ephemera - I'm glad you've shared this, I'll be able to take this back to the product team and help them understand where we can make things simpler for you in the future. 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

When going to the 'wallet' link that @regs43 provided and click on add payment options, it shows 3 options.

https://ppcapp.ebay.ca/myppc/wallet/list

Will the store fees or other selling fees automatically be billed to the credit card or will they only be billed if there is not enough in pending payments? 

What about shipping fees? Currently there is no option as to where to direct the label fees..it simply says that we will be billed later. 

mp payout options.jpg

Hi @pjcdn2005 - this is a bit of a tricky one. I'm working with the shipping team to better understand why you don't see the option to use pending funds for labels. I'm hopeful that we'll see that change in the future. 

Other eBay selling fees and expenses are collected from funds prior to payout. If your funds are not sufficient to cover these amounts, we will charge your payment method on file (debit or credit card, and/or linked bank account).

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

Part of the .com seller test group enrolling for Canadian managed payments. Still waiting for micro deposits to go through to complete registration. From conversaitions with various reps I believe the issue is the bank account is in my business operating as name rather than legal name. Business is registered as a general partnership which means CRA requires the legal name to be the names of the partners.  In the managed payments registration flow you can not select anything other than the legal name of the bank account as it defaults to the legal name. One rep suggested altering my registration to swap the operating name and legal name around so it would match the bank account's name. I'm not sure what else that impacts on your end and would like advice on how to best proceed.

Hi @hlmacdon - I've been working with our compliance teams to get an answer on this and haven't gotten one I can pass on quite yet. When I have an answer I'll make sure you get notified (either here or via Tyler). Thanks for your patience!

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

@busybeas_books wrote:

Just started Managed Payments a week ago. Lots of small 'learning curve' hicups. Biggest one so far: just had a buyer by 2 items and paid separately for them. I'll combine the shipment i.e. cheaper postage. How do I refund him the difference? I cannot find any "Refund buyer" links anywhere like there were on the Paypal payment pages.

Hi @busybeas_books - Refunds can be sent to buyers from the orders tab in Seller Hub under the drop down menu for the transaction.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply