March 20th 2019 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions. See you tomorrow!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Tyler, could you please outline the procedure for closing an eBay store, and advise what the best timing is to do so, in order to avoid penalties?  

I've had an eBay store from the very beginning of my selling career on eBay about 12 years ago, but eBay policies have incrementally (over the past 5 years especially) made it more and more difficult for me to sell well in my categories, and more and more expensive in fees.  In addition, eBay policies have chased away much of the buyer base that used to make my selling successful here.  It's got to the point of being unsustainable.   

Since I've never sold in any other format but a store, I have no idea how to close it down, or where to go on eBay to do so.  Also, since my subscription is up in May (2019), should I close down sometime in April, or wait until the day just prior to the renewal date, to avoid unnecessary penalty fees?  

Thank you for your help. 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I just received this email message,supposedly from eBay,  just want to make sure it is legit.

"You are now eligible to take advantage of Terapeak."

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I understand that GTC has already been implemented on .com.  Will the Time Left column in our  summary page still show the number of days left, i.e. 29 days ..... or will it simply show GTC? Hopefully it is not the latter because that column is going to be important when it comes to identifying the listings you want to end manually before they are relisted.

Thanks Tyler.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Hello tyler, thank you for your time here spent answering our questions.

The big change with fixed price listings does not affect me in any way, as I only use gtc's for all my listings. 

That said, a friend of mine who only lists on .com because most of his buyers are in the US, and he only used the 10 day fixed price format along with the store that gave him 250 .com listings a month. The day that only gtc's became the only way to list on .com, he phoned ebay CS, and was told he could go on the starter store plan @ $4.99 per month. Was this an error by the CS rep. or is the store plan available to Canadians who only list on .com?

I have a feeling that the CS rep. thought he lived in the US, because all his listings were on .com not .ca.

TLDR, is the starter plan available to Canadians who only list on .com, and is the plan coming to Canada in the foreseeable future?

Tia

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Just wondering if we in Canada will ever be able to send offers to watchers? They can on Ebay.UK and Ebay.COM. Still waiting here. Sales are slow and any help to generate sales would help.
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

For the 1st time ever I have printed out a packing slip that said the buyer had to pay tax, I downloaded the FileExchange_Response and it's not listed under sales tax, but  eBay Collected Tax,  What is is it for? and Is there anything we need to do about this? tax.PNG

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Will eBay policy makers accept home-baked cookies as bribery to retain 30 days FP listings? cookie cookie cookie

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Some clarification, please. If I look up an item of mine on dot ca I see below the listing Ships from Canada but on dot com I only see Long time member. If I look up a random US seller on dot com I see Free Delivery in 4 days/30 day returns/Ships from United States. If I look at that same listing on dot ca I see Fast and Safe Shipping. Shouldn't that information be mirrored between the 2 sites? Any potential buyer "could" be using that information for making a buying decision.

And why is adding Pick Up to a listing on dot com an option but on dot ca its shipping or pickup but not both? Adding the Pick Up option on dot ca was available at one in point in time.

Thanks,

-Lotz
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Tyler, could you please outline the procedure for closing an eBay store, and advise what the best timing is to do so, in order to avoid penalties?  

I've had an eBay store from the very beginning of my selling career on eBay about 12 years ago, but eBay policies have incrementally (over the past 5 years especially) made it more and more difficult for me to sell well in my categories, and more and more expensive in fees.  In addition, eBay policies have chased away much of the buyer base that used to make my selling successful here.  It's got to the point of being unsustainable.   

Since I've never sold in any other format but a store, I have no idea how to close it down, or where to go on eBay to do so.  Also, since my subscription is up in May (2019), should I close down sometime in April, or wait until the day just prior to the renewal date, to avoid unnecessary penalty fees?  

Thank you for your help. 

Hi @rose-dee  - happy to help! 

To avoid any financial penalties, you'll want to submit the closure of your store within the month of your renewal, so if your renewal date is the first of May you'll want to arrange the cancellation sometime in April. 

Because of the way billing is set with stores, you won't be charged a monthly store charge in your final month (April), so when you set up the cancellation it will forward date it to the first of the next month (May). Your store will close then and you would not have any charges for non-renewal. 

Screenshots below. Thanks!

If you go to My eBay>Account choose 'Subscriptions' from the left hand sideIf you go to My eBay>Account choose 'Subscriptions' from the left hand sideOn the Subscriptions screen choose 'Cancel Subscription' on the far right sideOn the Subscriptions screen choose 'Cancel Subscription' on the far right sideAt the bottom of the next page you'll want to confirm the closureAt the bottom of the next page you'll want to confirm the closure 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I just received this email message,supposedly from eBay,  just want to make sure it is legit.

"You are now eligible to take advantage of Terapeak."

Hi @triber - yes, that's one from us (it should be in your eBay message center too). Terapeak is now an available subscription for members of eBay.com, and free to Basic, Premium, Anchor and Enterprise store subscribers on eBay.com. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

I understand that GTC has already been implemented on .com.  Will the Time Left column in our  summary page still show the number of days left, i.e. 29 days ..... or will it simply show GTC? Hopefully it is not the latter because that column is going to be important when it comes to identifying the listings you want to end manually before they are relisted.

Thanks Tyler.

Hi @jt-libra - In Seller Hub the 'Time left' column for GTC listings will countdown to the renewal date. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Thanks Tyler.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Was there any discussion of waiving any possible penalties as this GTC change was happening the middle of sellers contracts? In most cases sellers have opened stores because of the variety of selling options and removing a feature they relied on would definitely be an unplanned situation.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello tyler, thank you for your time here spent answering our questions.

The big change with fixed price listings does not affect me in any way, as I only use gtc's for all my listings. 

That said, a friend of mine who only lists on .com because most of his buyers are in the US, and he only used the 10 day fixed price format along with the store that gave him 250 .com listings a month. The day that only gtc's became the only way to list on .com, he phoned ebay CS, and was told he could go on the starter store plan @ $4.99 per month. Was this an error by the CS rep. or is the store plan available to Canadians who only list on .com?

I have a feeling that the CS rep. thought he lived in the US, because all his listings were on .com not .ca.

TLDR, is the starter plan available to Canadians who only list on .com, and is the plan coming to Canada in the foreseeable future?

Tia

Hi @amcdc79 - Starter stores are still in the works for eBay.ca, no release date on these as yet. 

It sounds as though CS gave correct info. Your friend could open a Starter store on eBay.com, but the subscription would apply only to listings made on .com. Which for your friend would probably work out fine, but on eBay.ca wouldn't provide any benefit (since there isn't a Starter Store available as yet). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

For the 1st time ever I have printed out a packing slip that said the buyer had to pay tax, I downloaded the FileExchange_Response and it's not listed under sales tax, but  eBay Collected Tax,  What is is it for? and Is there anything we need to do about this? tax.PNG

Hi @bunbar - if you set up a tax table to charge taxes on items you sold it would appear, but it sounds like that's probably not the case. 

Otherwise, if the buyer was located in a US state we are required to collect taxes for you would see the taxes they were charged in the sales order details. If your buyer was located in Washington, Minnesota or Iowa it would be collected automatically and there is nothing that you would need to do with that. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

Will eBay policy makers accept home-baked cookies as bribery to retain 30 days FP listings? cookie cookie cookie

Hi @zee-chan - they may! Though I'm not certain. 

I have no say in the decision making process, but I'll take a good homemade sugar cookie if you take orders! 😉

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Is this new, I've been selling for a very long time and never noticed it until last week. Just curious

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Some clarification, please. If I look up an item of mine on dot ca I see below the listing Ships from Canada but on dot com I only see Long time member. If I look up a random US seller on dot com I see Free Delivery in 4 days/30 day returns/Ships from United States. If I look at that same listing on dot ca I see Fast and Safe Shipping. Shouldn't that information be mirrored between the 2 sites? Any potential buyer "could" be using that information for making a buying decision.

And why is adding Pick Up to a listing on dot com an option but on dot ca its shipping or pickup but not both? Adding the Pick Up option on dot ca was available at one in point in time.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - those 'hotness indicators' (the industry term for them I found out) are dynamic to the listing as well as the site. So they will change based on a number of factors. 

When it comes to pick up options - Local pick up is available as an option if you offer Flat Rate Shipping. Calculated and Pick up are incompatible at this point in time. 

If you're seeing something different please let me know! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Was there any discussion of waiving any possible penalties as this GTC change was happening the middle of sellers contracts? In most cases sellers have opened stores because of the variety of selling options and removing a feature they relied on would definitely be an unplanned situation.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - because the terms and conditions of the store subscription did not change with this update there was no discussion about waiving termination fees for ending or reducing a store level after the GTC change takes place.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 22
latest reply