Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

May 19 2021 Weekly Session

Hi Tyler,

My question is about eBay Labels. At the time of purchase eBay sends me an email with an amount. The amount has an asterisk *. Lower in the email next to the asterisk it says the amount is estimated because sometimes Sellers may make a mistake in the weight requiring adjustment. 

Let's say the amount is $17.02. There is no indication of the GST/HST. It may take 2-5 days for the amount to show up in "All Transactions". At that time the amount is no longer $17.02 but it may be $17.09. When you drill down for the GST there is a space for taxes with nothing in it (assuming the label is Domestic). 

Shippo always gave us a copy of the Canada Post receipt. Nothing comes from eBay. Some Sellers want to do their accounting in "Real Time" . 

Is this a gliche that will be fixed or does Ebay consider a once a month "Tax Invoice" sufficient? Why does it take so long to know how much the label cost after purchase?

Thanks!

ITWM

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Please confirm. What system is eBay now using with MP and confirmation emails? Sometimes it is a combination email advising item has sold & buyer has paid. Other times it is an email stating item has been purchased followed by a separate payment email. Preference for many would be 2 separate emails sellers can file as they so choose. Also, the emails do not state the shipping service the buyer has chosen.

Pre MP a buyer could leave a message with their payment if there were special shipping instructions. With MP this does not seem to be an option. Will this be addressed?

-Lotz

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Hi Tyler, 

I have noticed 2 issues in the past day or so:

1- certain listings are not having sales tax added at all.  I sold an item that should have the 13% HST added to it, but it does not.  Most other ones appear to be totaled correctly.  Problem is, even though it wasn't collected from the buyer, I still owe it to CRA....   This has happened before , a year ago (maybe more) and was corrected.   Now seems to be back. 

2- many listings .. like 40%.. that I've shipped in the past 36 hours do not show shipping details on eBay.  It only shows "you have shipped this item" but no tracking or carrier information is available.   Doesn't matter if it's Canada Post, ChitChats, UPS, FedEx , etc. Sold on .com or .ca   Just seems completely random. 

Wondering if these are known issues being resolved soon.

Thanks!

mike

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Hi Tyler

I have finally started to sign up for MP but when is says to choose your bank, they are all Canadian banks, My bank is in the US and there is no link to choose a US bank, I ship 95% of my items fromNY so I need to use my US account to pay for shipping labels as well

I have a .Com and a .CA account on ebay and since ebay ,CA only allows payment in CDN dollars I have a Canadian bank account as well, but it says I can only choose one and can't change it so what do I do.?

I had too wait a whole week to ask these questions becuase I don't where else to get help 

Thanks

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Are ISBN's no longer applicable for creating book listings?  I tried using one after the Specific Requirement update and very few specifics were actually filled by doing so. In most cases in many of the affected categories it has just corrupted listings that were created correctly originally by just adding variations of fields that were already there making this into a gigantic project for sellers to confirm everything is accurate. We also have no way of knowing when eBay is done with a category, to confirm if listings are "safe" to repair.

Title being changed to Book Title

Publisher being changed to Author

Author filled in but is now deleted

DVD's/CD's now require the US rating system which is not a match to the Canadian rating system

Corrupted Data Example: 1960 (year) modified by eBay to 19600000

etc

No way to accurately update listings composed of mixed lots of books/CD's/DVD's etc

Item specifics newly required show up after a listing is created. Not during.

There are several discussions on this topic on both dot ca and dot com explaining the frustrations these updates cause which eBay does not seem to want to even attempt to address. As someone else succinctly explained to me, it's like playing Whack-a-mole with eBay randomly adding new moles willy nilly.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

There are a number of posts about this on the sellers board on how you must have a Canadian chequing account. It can be a $C or $US account but it has to be a Canadian bank account.

If you are buying your labels for usps on eBay.com, MP allows you to use your pending funds for that so that might work if you had a $US account.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Tyler I thought that in the past I saw an email address on the .com boards where we could point out category issues directly to those who set them up.  Or is there another way for us to point out problems with search other than contacting customer service who are unlikely to be familiar with the changes?
  I know that there are a number of problems in various categories but one I noticed earlier was in the book category.  Once in the books category there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get to specific categories such as fiction.  I was on an iPad on Safari, not in an app.

There is a short thread here about it here....

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Community-eBay-Site-Issues/book-search-still-broken/m-p/459389#M5402

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I used to have a USD account with the Royal Bank but when I tried to hook it up to my Ebay account it told me I wasn't allowed to, that I could only use an account with CDN funds, so I closed my account since I had one in the US anyway.  Am I now allowed to use it with a USD account here? It's been a few years since I tried to do it)

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Hey Tyler,

I'm back again with more managed payments problems 😉

So I've accepted the fact that I won't be able to get USD payouts anytime in the near future as the mp is a mess with that, but now my issue is that I have never received the microdeposits. They were never sent to the bank account I initially put in so I changed it to antother account but they still haven't shown up. It's getting pretty close to the 31st (that's when my managed payments should activate) and I don't want to have any payments held and it seems like I'm going to get payments held up.

I contacted support and they said to just wait for the deposits but it says it should only take 1-3 business days and it has been close to a month now. Just wondering if you'd be able to help or give insight on whats going on with this.

Thanks,

Cody

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

It looks like you can't use a Canadian account for US $.  As I said 95% of my sales are in US dollars wiith items going to the US. If they put my US funds into   CDN dollars to put in my Canadain bank I will lose on the exchange and when I buy my labels in American $ I will lose more on the exchange going the other way. I sell most items for less then $2.00 and this will kill me

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@bunbar 

There have been recent changes in MP to allow for a little more currency flexibility. You should be able to have Managed Payments deposit USD funds into a USD chequing account held at a Canadian chartered bank in Canada.

Read through this very carefully all of the way through to the end. Getting paid in US dollars | Seller Centre (ebay.ca)

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Yep. I have a lot of trouble listing LOTS ("not Lotz" 🙂   too. You have to pick one Ebay category and you only get the Item specifics for one of the items in the custom bunch. You should get a set for each item regardless of the category. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Thank you so much, I will open an account tomorrow and hope it works

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

May just be me but I have now accidentally hit the "add bold" button five times in the last few months as I charge through my listings.  Usually pick up the error 5-10 listings later.  I dutifully end the listings, call support to note my error (and they always kindly refund the fees), then relist without the bold.

To me having the "add bold" select button right underneath the listing seems like a design defect.  I usually add listings using "create similar" on the website and I think where I go wrong is I usually cut and paste my title to put in the description.  Whjen I do this it is easy to accidently hit the button that is right there to add bold.

Again, maybe this is just a me thing and I need to modifiy how I do things but is it possible to put a request in to the design team to move that selection button?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Yep. I have a lot of trouble listing LOTS ("not Lotz" 🙂   too. You have to pick one Ebay category and you only get the Item specifics for one of the items in the custom bunch. You should get a set for each item regardless of the category. 

I'm not sure if this is caused by eBay general housekeeping and removing/renaming/amalamating categories that have been around forever. Useful for some but not everyone. Removing choice is not always the best choice.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi Tyler,

My question is about eBay Labels. At the time of purchase eBay sends me an email with an amount. The amount has an asterisk *. Lower in the email next to the asterisk it says the amount is estimated because sometimes Sellers may make a mistake in the weight requiring adjustment. 

Let's say the amount is $17.02. There is no indication of the GST/HST. It may take 2-5 days for the amount to show up in "All Transactions". At that time the amount is no longer $17.02 but it may be $17.09. When you drill down for the GST there is a space for taxes with nothing in it (assuming the label is Domestic). 

Shippo always gave us a copy of the Canada Post receipt. Nothing comes from eBay. Some Sellers want to do their accounting in "Real Time" . 

Is this a gliche that will be fixed or does Ebay consider a once a month "Tax Invoice" sufficient? Why does it take so long to know how much the label cost after purchase?

Thanks!

ITWM

Hi @intimewithmusic - these are good points! The root cause on the label cost delay has to do with billing. Canada Post has a post-shipment billing agreement with us, meaning they reserve the right to re-measure and re-weigh the item you send, and pass us any corrected costs. Shippo works a bit differently. 

When it comes to features you'd like to see or enhancements to the existing product please send them to ebaylabels@ebay.ca. This goes directly to the product team who can review and assist. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Please confirm. What system is eBay now using with MP and confirmation emails? Sometimes it is a combination email advising item has sold & buyer has paid. Other times it is an email stating item has been purchased followed by a separate payment email. Preference for many would be 2 separate emails sellers can file as they so choose. Also, the emails do not state the shipping service the buyer has chosen.

Pre MP a buyer could leave a message with their payment if there were special shipping instructions. With MP this does not seem to be an option. Will this be addressed?

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - to my knowledge there has not been a change to the system used to send confirmation emails when eBay manages your payments. I can send your preferrence (2 separate emails) to the payments team as a suggestion for a future enhancement though! 

When it comes to how-tos like this your best bet will be to request a contact from a payments-trained teammate who can assist with where to find any buyer messages that were left at time of checkout. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Because a message does not display now in any known places, a seller would never know if a message was left. Unless the buyer were to leave using eBay's messaging tool. It's a comparative issue to the field sellers used to have at their disposal(Pre MP) for buyers that has now been removed. Example: Please contact for a revised invoice for combined shipping.

-Lotz

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@motomike_canada wrote:

Hi Tyler, 

I have noticed 2 issues in the past day or so:

1- certain listings are not having sales tax added at all.  I sold an item that should have the 13% HST added to it, but it does not.  Most other ones appear to be totaled correctly.  Problem is, even though it wasn't collected from the buyer, I still owe it to CRA....   This has happened before , a year ago (maybe more) and was corrected.   Now seems to be back. 

2- many listings .. like 40%.. that I've shipped in the past 36 hours do not show shipping details on eBay.  It only shows "you have shipped this item" but no tracking or carrier information is available.   Doesn't matter if it's Canada Post, ChitChats, UPS, FedEx , etc. Sold on .com or .ca   Just seems completely random. 

Wondering if these are known issues being resolved soon.

Thanks!

mike

Hi @motomike_canada - the report on tax is new to me and disturbing. If this is tax we are collecting on your behalf it could be the buyer has a confirmed exemption on file with us. If this is tax you are collecting via the tax table then it should not be working that way and please contact CS so they can review the transactions and file the appropriate reports with the tech team. 

When it comes to tracking, there's an ongoing issue with Seller Hub 'paid and shipped' page not displaying the tracking, but I'm being told (quite assertedly) that if you choose the 'add tracking' it does then show up. 

If this is an issue with the 'orders' tab not showing the tracking number please contact CS and request to have your account added to ALERTXXX. They will need the following information:

Your seller ID:
The buyer's ID:
The tracking ID:
The order ID:
The item ID:

Thanks!

**These tickets were resolved as of yesterday, and should no longer be impacting your orders. If you are seeing this behavior on new orders please contact CS for a review and for them to file a new ticket. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 28
latest reply