May 31 2017 Weekly Session

qottie
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Opening up the thread for our Weekly Chat Session for May 31, 2017.  This thread will be open until tomorrow, so please post any questions or subjects for which you would like eBay support.

Speak to you tomorrow!

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: May 31 2017 Weekly Session

@dutchman48 wrote:

Is it possible to set up different individual combined shipping rules for .ca and .com listings or are they strictly tied to your ID so if you set up one, it will also affect the other?

Thanks

Hi dutchman48,

Great question. You can set up combined shipping rules for only one currency - either CAD or USD. For example, if you set up a combined shipping discount for 2 or more items in USD, then the buyers who wish to buy two items that are listed in USD can take advantage of this discount. The discount cannot be applied to a combination of a USD listed item and a CAD listed item. 

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to reach out to me if you need further clarification. 

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pierrelebel wrote:

An easy question for you today.

As of July 1st, 2017 eBay Canada will start collecting GST/HST on fees charged to sellers.

What about the so-called "import charges" paid to Pitney Bowes by Canadian buyers purchasing goods from American and British sellers under your Global Shipping Program. Your terms of use clearly identify these charges as fees.  Are they not taxable?

Will you also start collecting GST/HST on those PB fees?  If not, why not?

Thanks for dropping by with another good question pierrelebel. I hope you are keeping well.

The contractual relationship between eBay Inc. and Canadian members today is via eBay International AG, which is based in Switzerland. As of July 1st, that contractual relationship moves to eBay Canada Ltd, which is a Canadian business entity. As a Canadian business entity, we will be obliged to collect and remit Canadian sales taxes on the fees we charge to Canadian sellers.

The contractual relationship between eBay Inc. and different folks who operate the Global Shipping program for us, including Pitney Bowes, is not changing on July 1st. Essentially, this is not a Canadian import program, it's an American export program.

My team does help support that program from a buyer perspective, as best we can, but it's ultimately not our deal and not our contractual relationship. 

We've heard the feedback that ideally the actual duties and taxes should be split out, so they can be claimed as an input tax among other things, but that isn't possible for the program as designed today, because the buyer is actually paying estimated duties and taxes, not actual duties and taxes. The buyer gets price certainty, and our partners lose on some transactions and gain on others. To be explicit and accurate up front, we'd need to have a different kind of program. And if we do that, we're giving up on providing price certainty, which was part of the point in the first place. 

I hope that helps. 

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@a.depour wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Is it possible to set up different individual combined shipping rules for .ca and .com listings or are they strictly tied to your ID so if you set up one, it will also affect the other?

Thanks

Hi dutchman48,

Great question. You can set up combined shipping rules for only one currency - either CAD or USD. For example, if you set up a combined shipping discount for 2 or more items in USD, then the buyers who wish to buy two items that are listed in USD can take advantage of this discount. The discount cannot be applied to a combination of a USD listed item and a CAD listed item. 

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to reach out to me if you need further clarification. 

Not my question. Let's see if I can explain it better.

I list on .com in US and on .ca in Can.

I want to set up discounts for US items in $US on .com and I want to set up totally different discounts for Can items in Can $ on .ca.

They are different products and the discounts have to be different on each site for different products.

Is that possible?

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bargainhunteram wrote:

For Canadian residents, when using the eBay mobile app to create and/or complete draft listings, is it sufficient to change the country code and shipping address, each time you choose to list on .com, rather than .ca?

Hi bargainhunteram

Great question. It's simple enough for anyone to understand how you can list on eBay.ca or eBay.com by going to the respective websites, but how do you do that when you are using the eBay app?

While you get every bit as much exposure on eBay.com if your listing is created on eBay.ca and ships to the US as if you listed on eBay.com, some Canadian sellers prefer to list on eBay.com anyway, using US dollars. And that's perfectly fine too. 

You can actually do this by opening your eBay app, and changing your country setting within the app. In the current version, you can do this by navigating to My eBay, and then clicking the settings link at the top left. 

Next, change your country from "Canada" to "United States". If you list with your app, you'll now see US settings, and you'll be listing on the eBay.com site in US dollars, with USPS shipping services and from outside USA services available, etc. 

Categories and item specifics and catalogues are the same on ebay.com and ebay.ca, so the main difference is indeed noting that your "domestic" shipping is now to the United States, and that you need to add a shipping service to Canada in order to make your item still show up on eBay.ca. 

Good luck!

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

'Free Shipping' is a filter option along the side. If Best Match search results were to change, I'd like to see a default to Canada Only with everyone else after the break like More Items From International Sellers. I expect that suggestion to go over like a lead balloon.

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 4.37.53 PM.png

As to my own Weekly Chat questions, I hardly know where to begin.

Seriously.

1. Ten Best Offers now? When does this take actual effect on ebay Canada? And has ebay fixed the glitch where setting a new handling time resets all Auto-Decline and Auto-Accept amounts? I reported that glitch last summer. Because Best Offer was a colossal time-waster with only three offers, with ten it will be atrocious. I intend to use auto-amounts to their fullest potential but I cannot revise 1,000 listings every month if I have to shift a handling time to address vacation time. Or other unforeseen problems like postal delays that affect delivery times. Et cetera. 

2. And using precisely what criteria will ebay decide to arbitrarily end listings now? Please bear in mind I am looking for a precise answer to this question. Words cannot express how annoyed I am with this sudden change.

3. Regarding ebay's decision to steal photographs from its sellers for the Product Catalogue, to whom can I lodge a complaint about this. Again, name and address. Send me a message to me privately if you must. 

4. With a Summer Seller Update released only a few weeks ago, who at ebay thought these three significant changes did not warrant mentioning in the Summer Seller Update? It seems very sneaky and underhanded to me and when even I start to sing along with the 'this place sucks' chorus, I think you need to know we have a problem. 

Thank you.

Hi @momcqueen,

Great feedback on all of the points you raised in this post.  I appreciate that you are willing to give this sort of feedback and constructive criticism in here.

For point 4), we do try to bundle announcements into Seller Releases as much as possible, but given that efforts are always on-going, sometimes things slip through the cracks.  Your concerns on all three points have been flagged as a major concern for sellers in many channels on both sides of the border. Photo sharing was communicated in the previous Seller Releases, but as you suggested, the other two changes should have been better communicated with sellers.  

Specific to point 1) about the glitch on handling time resetting Auto-Decline and Auto-Accept, let me take that offline and come back to you with the status of that bug.  I will also express your feedback, and that of other sellers on both the Canadian and US boards.  I will follow up when I have a response.

For point 2) the concerns have already been passed up to Senior Management at eBay and actions are underway to determine what the plan is for communication / policy on this kind of a change in the future.

For point 3) about who to contact re: photo use in the catalog, I will find out the best contact details through which to voice your concern and send them to you by direct message.

Hope this helps.  

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Thank you.
Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gwrocen wrote:

Hello to everyone.

Just a couple of observations/questions.................

WHY is there a pre-printed message in the
"Enter payment instructions and personal message Box"
with the eBay invoice that a seller sends to a buyer??
Can't it be left BLANK?
Never used to be anything there.
This seems to have appeared within the past two or three months.
We (as a seller) want to put our own message in there not a message that someone at
eBay thinks should be there.
What a nuisance to have to delete it every time before putting in our own message.

Also............
Why is eBay encouraging "returns" with the next part of the message on the invoice?
It states:
"Give clear instructions to assist buyers with payment, shipping, and returns."!!!!!!!!!
We are not going through all the hard work of selling and packing and shipping
just to get the item back. 
Please change this.  Eliminate the word “returns”.

Thanks.

Hmmm.

Can you tell me a little more about this? Where exactly are you seeing this text? It sounds like it may be the kind of text that is there as a placeholder suggestion for you, but is not actually part of the message, and does not get sent to the buyer at all. But I'd like to see it to be sure. 

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Do these qualify as 'stale' listings that will arbitrarily be ended? Note that contrary to instructions, 'revising' the listing does not make this 'note' disappear. I tried that already. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 8.03.14 AM.png

Hi @momcqueen,

From my understanding, the process to end 'stale listings' (as you called them) was a one-time change and has actually ended, so these listings you posted should be fine.  Per my previous post, I will take this one offline to confirm and get back to you.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi, 

Based on what I've read on the CP site, registered mail does have online delivery confirmation within Canada but some  posters believe that eBay will not accept proof of delivery for registered mail when delivery confirmation is needed.  If I sent a registered mail within Canada would eBay recognize the number entered and if proof of delivery was needed and was shown online (as stated below) would it be acceptable delivery proof to eBay? If not, why is that? 

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGregister-e.asp#1386476

Delivery Confirmation (Tracking). - Domestic
Registered Mail provides confirmation that the item has arrived at its destination. Upon delivery, or attempted delivery, the item ID number is scanned and the date captured. The date of delivery is available the next business day after delivery on the internet at canadapost.ca or using the automated phone response system at 1-888-5506333.

Hi pkcdn2005.

I would certainly hope so, but I'll reach out to colleagues who work closely with dispute resolution, etc. to be 100% certain. Sometimes when folks have different POV's on the boards, it's because unfortunately they actually arent' getting consistent experiences. I hope that's not the case this time. I'll find out. 

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@momcqueen,

Seller Hub still does not have a specific date penciled in for Canada as of yet, but I am working on trying to get it pulled forward at the moment.  I can't commit to anything right now, but I'm trying!

In the interim, since the 'stale listings' process was a one-time thing (as I understand it), your listings should not be at risk.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Thanks for joining us - the weekly chat is now closed.

We'll be back next week, and will open a thread next Tuesday afternoon/evening for you to post your questions throughout the night.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

This was put on the US boards. Is this actually true because if true, free shipping is not really any good for multiple sales. Maybe that is why people, me included, get payment for each item.

To use the cart feature and request a total it will only work if IPR is not checked on the listings and if they are not "free shipping" listings.

Hi @dutchman48,

The request total is meant for buyers who're buying multiple items from the same seller to get a better offer on the total shipping cost. If one of your items have free shipping, then there is no reason for you to give them any more discount. 

As for Immediate Payment Required (IPR), if enabled, your buyer must pay for the item right away. So there will be no opportunity for them to use Request Total if they're required to pay immediately. 

Solution: If you do not want to disable IPR, you could set up automated shipping discount so that your buyers automatically get a discount if they buy more than a certain number of items (set by you). 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

At the very least, if eBay can't get "Request Total" to work as a universal alternative for buyers, regardless of other options put in place by buyers, then I think they need to:

1)  Remove that red error message.  I especially find this part offensive (as a seller): "The seller has disallowed combined payments".  What?? I've done no such thing.  At a minimum, if eBay has to keep that message screen, it should say: "Please contact your seller directly regarding shipping discounts".

2)  If eBay can't make "Request Total" work in all circumstances as an alternative checkout for buyers, they should at least mask out the button on the cart whenever "Request Total" is not available.  That would be a less offensive result than the red screen shown above (although not any more helpful).  

Perhaps 'qottie' could tell us whether either of the above, and preferably the second suggestion, could be done as an interim band-aid measure.  

My view is that eBay should not be introducing features that have the effect of "knocking out" other longstanding features that are familiar to buyers, certainly not without telling anybody.  

Actually, eBay should stop mucking about with everything else for a few weeks and concentrate on making their checkout flow work flawlessly, for all buyers and sellers, whatever and wherever they choose to buy on eBay.  Is that really asking too much of an online selling venue? 

rose-dee,

I thought, in the seven private messages we exchanged, I answered all your questions about Request Total. I'm surprised to see the exact same questions you asked me again here - now directed at my colleague. 

For you and other sellers who're interested in Request Total, here is the summary of our conversation:

• Request Total does not work with items with Free Shipping. It just makes no sense to ask for a discount when there is no shipping cost.
  • Request Total and Combined Shipping Discount (CSD) are mutually exclusive. The whole purpose of CSD is to automatically apply a discount if a buyer intends to buy more than one item from you (depending on the threshold you set in CSD and the currency you choose). This is to reduce seller-buyer contact and reduce wait time for buyers. I see your CSD threshold is 4 or more items. If you're not getting any sales is maybe because no buyer is interested in buying 4 or more items from you. Reduce the threshold and see if it makes a difference. OR, turn CSD off to allow people to submit Request Total. It's your choice.
  • If you've set up CSD in USD. Only your USD items are eligible for the discount. Your buyer cannot mix CAD listed items with USD listed items and submit a request total. That's why you see an error message. 
  • We recognize the user experience can definitely be improved. To do so, we'll change the logic to show the “Request total” button on the shopping cart and checkout pages only when the setting is set to “Yes”. This has already been added to the list of things to be worked on. And it will take some time. 
Message 33 of 35
latest reply

Misunderstood your question. Here is the clarification:

Yes, it is possible. You can set up a combined shipping discount on .COM and a separate one on .CA. On each site though, you can only choose one currency. 

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brettjet38 wrote:

When our Buyers cannot request a total for combined shipping and get the following wonderful message, they simply empty the shopping cart, like I have done myself and shop off site or on Social Media  or not at all.

The shopping cart has never worked and still does not correctly, so please stop trying to say it does, it does not.

This is why OUR Buyers are paying for one item at a time, and we are being charged excess fees, another long term ebay screw up.

As for your endless "Workarounds" !

No Thanks!

I do not pay a Service provider for

"WORKAROUNDS"

@qottie wrote:

Hello everyone,

Opening up the thread for our Weekly Chat Session for May 31, 2017.  This thread will be open until tomorrow, so please post any questions or subjects for which you would like eBay support.

Speak to you tomorrow!

eBay is suppose to be an INTERNATIONAL shopping site and the most BASIC "tool" the Shopping Cart still is not working correctly and the result is that Buyers are paying for items one at a time and WE the SELLERS are getting feeBayed AGAIN!

SHOPPING CART FEE CREATOR for feeBay.jpg

Hi brettjet38

If you'd like your buyers to be able to combine items and pay individually, you can actually do that by setting up a combined shipping rule. You can do this in My eBay, on either eBay.ca or eBay.com, in the site preferences section. Rules you set up on eBay.ca will apply to listings you create on eBay.ca. If you list on eBay.com, you can also go to eBay.com and set up rules for your eBay.com listings there. You can even have different rules on both sites if you wish. 

The shopping cart cannot combine items listed in different currencies, but if you've created an applicable combined shipping rule, your buyers will not have to request a total. They can simply checkout and purchase your items. 

If you can make this approach work for you, then you won't have to manage shipping requests, and you won't lose potential buyers. These days, buyers expect to be able to checkout and purchase items straightaway, without contacting anyone.

If you aren't able to make this work, or you are already doing this and your buyers are still getting experiences like what you showed in your question, I'd love to get more details.

Thanks

Message 35 of 35
latest reply