November 10 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the weekly chat for your questions. I'll begin working on replies tomorrow afternoon. 

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Unable To Create or Edit Listing Templates - When I try to save I get a perpetual spinner..

November 9, 2021

Hi Tyler,

This is regarding a problem saving new templates or editting existing templates created prior to about November 1. I use PCs to list via Ebay templates. When I attempt to save a new one or edit an existing one I get a spinner and a grayed out screen that is perpetual and refuses to save the editted version. The problem seems to have started near the beginning of November.

Ebay templates perform a major part of our listing process. Our items are mostly unique "one offs" sold to international collectors and entertainment fans. Most of them cannot be described with Item Specifics and a modest description. We utilize almost all of the 50 templates Ebay makes available as we build our store in nearly as many store categories.

We developed templates to help us:

* maintain organization and accurate details featuring continuity from category to category
* preserve and expose our "brand" within listing to listing and catgegory to category
* direct a shipper to find a sold product in our warehouse containing widgets of all shapes and sizes. (via unique id)
* direct customers who visit our listings to related location of other similar items in our store (via allowed Ebay internal links)
* connect the sale of an item with it's revenue category in our accounting system (via unique ID)
* greet previous & returning customers with a familiar layout
* allow convenient Business Policy changes within categories & subcategories

During the process of improving and consolidating templates we developed a bi-annual cycle to update them. The templates are refined every six months. We review each category and the status of it's listings. The review times are synced with seasonal selling cycles. For example "Christmas Items" are part of the current review. First the templates are updated and saved to replace old ones. Existing listings are reviewed and updated. Then listing new items begins. If we cannot update a template we must either skip the category or list new items one by one trying to carry over continuity to make our store look professional. 

Most of the time we choose not to use "Sell Similar" because Item Specifics are missing or they don't apply to the new "one off". Mistakes can occur if you miss editting a carried over option like "Ebay Category" or "Condition". We only use sell similar if the new item is close to identical and mistakes are mitigated. We don't use "Sell One Just Like It" for the same reasons plus unseen proprietary HTML hidden in another seller's listing populates into your new listing. For our business model Ebay Templates work best. We're in the process of refining them and they help a lot.

For ITWM and other sellers who report the same template save malfunctions the listing process has been severly restricted during 4th quarter. I haven't seen any Ebay notice sent out about the problem. In trying to self diagnose it there seems to be a connection with the Fall Seller Update recategorization process. Some of the templates have their category designations replaced with the following Ebay message;

"The category you chose for this listing template is no longer available. Please edit the template and select another category."

The problem is it's not possible save any edits to templates. A perpetual spinner & gray screen result. This includes ALL templates in our list of 49 including the ones not affected by recategorization.

Can you please shed light on the issue and let us know if a fix is coming? (Photos are attached. )

Thank You!

InTimeWithMusic

3 Template Edit- 3 Result.JPG

Template Edit- tested.JPG

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

1) Are Monthly Traffic Reports shown on dot com a mirror of what is seen on dot ca or separate entities? My current traffic reports appear to be updating in real time on dot ca.  For dot com I am showing a total of 16 (barely moving) views for the last 30 days. Biggest concern is there has been a 180 switch between from within eBay vs external  (2:1 vs 2:3) over the past couple of months compared to beginning of the 2021. This is most concerning for any sellers selling OOAK/Collectible type items. Those new one size fits all checkboxes DO NOT work for that type of item. 

2) Are there no longer the options to search by region from dot com? The only current options is free international shipping which is something I have never seen from a US seller in all my years of purchasing from US sellers. As for Pick Up....Basically a non-starter. Comparison views below. Is eBay expecting buyers to search using advanced view?

Canada Shipping Options.jpgShipping options.jpg

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Hi Tyler
I inquired with eBay Canada about the bonus 100k Zero Insertion Fee (ZIF) listings that we have been seeing on .ca for months, which I understood to be in place until Canada mirrored the increase in ZIF listings that are offered with .com stores. They suddenly disappeared Nov 1 on .ca but were then put back into place again till Dec 31 after I brought it to their attention. After Dec 31 I was told that Cdn Sellers would only have the ZIF that came with CANADIAN stores, no more bonus 100k ZIF listings.
EX: Canada 1000 listings with Premium Store vs .com 10,000 listings with Premium Store (plus other bonus ZIF listings on .com in addition), at the same cost. This is unfair. I believe all Cdn sellers would gladly pay the increase of .2% FVF to have the same amount of ZIF listings as .com sellers do on equivalent store levels.

Is eBay Canada looking into adopting the .com store levels? And if not, will there be an announcement to warn Cdn sellers so they can either upgrade their store, or take down the extra listings eff Jan 1 2022?
What is your take on this?
Thanks Mandy

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Many users including myself are unable to edit existing templates, the system will not save changes as demonstrated in the screenshot that @intimewithmusic posted. When I attempt to create a new template I'm getting the same result, the system just hangs and will not save.
I will reiterate this is a very serious problem. In many cases categories and IS need to be updated and we cannot do a thing about it. Using out of date templates is out of the question, I am certainly not going to fiddle around changing categories and sorting out IS for each new listing. We need a fix asap.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Tyler. Yesterday, ebay changed the layout of the transaction details page at  Seller Hub > Payments > Summary > Recent Transactions (Transaction Details) 

It is there, on each Individual Transaction, that they have removed the exchange rate information used for calculation of seller fees (such as when a US DOLLAR ebay.com item is sold, since all fees are in Canadian dollars).

I thought this change was an ebay.ca issue, but it is on ebay.com and probably all ebay sites. Anyway, it used to disclose the rate of exchange used when charging seller fees - 1.20202 for US to CAD right there, right on that page. Now it just says "Rate includes currency conversion charge. See exchange rate details" and the link just goes a help page.

A full disclosure of the actual exchange rate in use at the time of the transaction is important information for both parties, so it should not be hidden.

Please have this exchange rate info displayed as it used to be.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Hi Tyler, recently, eBay made changes to the Order Details page. It now only prints in landscape mode instead of Portrait. I can live that if I have to. However, the print is now so tiny that I can barely read it, and my eyesight is excellent. I use this form to generate my shipping labels (among other things) so it is important to be able to read clearly, especially the zip/postal codes. Print is so small it’s hard to tell a 6 from an 8.

There is no way to enlarge the printing or change the orientation of the form. Actually, I can change it to Portrait by printing from my IPad instead of my PC but the teeny-tiny writing stays the same size. There are many complaints about this on the .com boards too. Please add my concerns about this to whatever dept. makes these changes. I’ve already given the form a thumbs down myself.

Thank you!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

beatpr_26
Community Member

Hi Tyler, Still trying to figure out how to get paid in USD, Last week you said "I am not able to assist with a verification/registration issue when it comes to your payments being managed by eBay. 

I have made 3 phone calls since last week and recieved a few emils  none of them helping, One person had me on the phone for almost an hour and finally said they couldn't figure it out, and they'd call back in 15 minutes, that was a week ago

I tried opening an new account starting from scratch, that didn;t work

My 2 major problems are 1 I ship from New York and can't print lables unless I use USD which I can't becuase I on.y allowed to use a bank in CDN dollars, I tried using my CDN bank with USD and after 2 months it still won't send me the amount i earned because I must use an account with CDN funds only, so I won't be able to purchase labels. I am now using the rest of my paypal balance to do this but I only have a few $$ left

2nd reason is most of my buyers are from the US and I lose on the exchange when ebay takes my payments and puts them in American funds

One of the ebay emais I got from Managed payments SR... is it can't be done, but there many ebayers using their USD accounts,

So Tyler, is there anything you can give me to get me to someone who knows what's going on? Or anyone else out there who can help

Thanks

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Unable To Create or Edit Listing Templates - When I try to save I get a perpetual spinner..

November 9, 2021

Hi Tyler,

This is regarding a problem saving new templates or editting existing templates created prior to about November 1. I use PCs to list via Ebay templates. When I attempt to save a new one or edit an existing one I get a spinner and a grayed out screen that is perpetual and refuses to save the editted version. The problem seems to have started near the beginning of November.

Ebay templates perform a major part of our listing process. Our items are mostly unique "one offs" sold to international collectors and entertainment fans. Most of them cannot be described with Item Specifics and a modest description. We utilize almost all of the 50 templates Ebay makes available as we build our store in nearly as many store categories.

We developed templates to help us:

* maintain organization and accurate details featuring continuity from category to category
* preserve and expose our "brand" within listing to listing and catgegory to category
* direct a shipper to find a sold product in our warehouse containing widgets of all shapes and sizes. (via unique id)
* direct customers who visit our listings to related location of other similar items in our store (via allowed Ebay internal links)
* connect the sale of an item with it's revenue category in our accounting system (via unique ID)
* greet previous & returning customers with a familiar layout
* allow convenient Business Policy changes within categories & subcategories

During the process of improving and consolidating templates we developed a bi-annual cycle to update them. The templates are refined every six months. We review each category and the status of it's listings. The review times are synced with seasonal selling cycles. For example "Christmas Items" are part of the current review. First the templates are updated and saved to replace old ones. Existing listings are reviewed and updated. Then listing new items begins. If we cannot update a template we must either skip the category or list new items one by one trying to carry over continuity to make our store look professional. 

Most of the time we choose not to use "Sell Similar" because Item Specifics are missing or they don't apply to the new "one off". Mistakes can occur if you miss editting a carried over option like "Ebay Category" or "Condition". We only use sell similar if the new item is close to identical and mistakes are mitigated. We don't use "Sell One Just Like It" for the same reasons plus unseen proprietary HTML hidden in another seller's listing populates into your new listing. For our business model Ebay Templates work best. We're in the process of refining them and they help a lot.

For ITWM and other sellers who report the same template save malfunctions the listing process has been severly restricted during 4th quarter. I haven't seen any Ebay notice sent out about the problem. In trying to self diagnose it there seems to be a connection with the Fall Seller Update recategorization process. Some of the templates have their category designations replaced with the following Ebay message;

"The category you chose for this listing template is no longer available. Please edit the template and select another category."

The problem is it's not possible save any edits to templates. A perpetual spinner & gray screen result. This includes ALL templates in our list of 49 including the ones not affected by recategorization.

Can you please shed light on the issue and let us know if a fix is coming? (Photos are attached. )

Thank You!

InTimeWithMusic

3 Template Edit- 3 Result.JPG

Template Edit- tested.JPG

Hi @intimewithmusic - thank you for sharing these details about your listing process. I agree that having full access capabilities to your templates is crucial at any time of year, but particularly now given your evaluation and work flow cadences. 

There is currently a technical issue impacting some members that is exactly as you describe. I've added your account as an additional example of this issue and am hopeful that we see this resolved quickly so that you can get back to business. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

1) Are Monthly Traffic Reports shown on dot com a mirror of what is seen on dot ca or separate entities? My current traffic reports appear to be updating in real time on dot ca.  For dot com I am showing a total of 16 (barely moving) views for the last 30 days. Biggest concern is there has been a 180 switch between from within eBay vs external  (2:1 vs 2:3) over the past couple of months compared to beginning of the 2021. This is most concerning for any sellers selling OOAK/Collectible type items. Those new one size fits all checkboxes DO NOT work for that type of item. 

2) Are there no longer the options to search by region from dot com? The only current options is free international shipping which is something I have never seen from a US seller in all my years of purchasing from US sellers. As for Pick Up....Basically a non-starter. Comparison views below. Is eBay expecting buyers to search using advanced view?

Canada Shipping Options.jpgShipping options.jpg

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies!

1. My understanding was that the Performance tab updates daily across all sites, but I can't get confirmation of that, so I'll see what more I can find out and let you know!

2. I encounter the same thing, but only when the search filters have my postal code as being outside of the US. If I change the default to be a US ZIP code the 'Item Location' option returns. I'm not certain precisely why, unless the thinking was that buyers outside of the US don't mind where the item is located. Either way I'll get it reported.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

Hi Tyler
I inquired with eBay Canada about the bonus 100k Zero Insertion Fee (ZIF) listings that we have been seeing on .ca for months, which I understood to be in place until Canada mirrored the increase in ZIF listings that are offered with .com stores. They suddenly disappeared Nov 1 on .ca but were then put back into place again till Dec 31 after I brought it to their attention. After Dec 31 I was told that Cdn Sellers would only have the ZIF that came with CANADIAN stores, no more bonus 100k ZIF listings.
EX: Canada 1000 listings with Premium Store vs .com 10,000 listings with Premium Store (plus other bonus ZIF listings on .com in addition), at the same cost. This is unfair. I believe all Cdn sellers would gladly pay the increase of .2% FVF to have the same amount of ZIF listings as .com sellers do on equivalent store levels.

Is eBay Canada looking into adopting the .com store levels? And if not, will there be an announcement to warn Cdn sellers so they can either upgrade their store, or take down the extra listings eff Jan 1 2022?
What is your take on this?
Thanks Mandy

Hi @mandicrafts - no announced change to insertion allotments for store subscriptions on eBay Canada (and no rumors of it either). 

Typically we don't announce that we aren't going to change anything about a product, but I know that this is an unusual situation. I'll let the team know what you'd like to see happen!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
Many users including myself are unable to edit existing templates, the system will not save changes as demonstrated in the screenshot that @intimewithmusic posted. When I attempt to create a new template I'm getting the same result, the system just hangs and will not save.
I will reiterate this is a very serious problem. In many cases categories and IS need to be updated and we cannot do a thing about it. Using out of date templates is out of the question, I am certainly not going to fiddle around changing categories and sorting out IS for each new listing. We need a fix asap.

Hi @kawartha-ephemera - thanks for letting me know you're also impacted by this issue. I've gotten you added to the open ticket!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@lotsa.luck wrote:

Tyler. Yesterday, ebay changed the layout of the transaction details page at  Seller Hub > Payments > Summary > Recent Transactions (Transaction Details) 

It is there, on each Individual Transaction, that they have removed the exchange rate information used for calculation of seller fees (such as when a US DOLLAR ebay.com item is sold, since all fees are in Canadian dollars).

I thought this change was an ebay.ca issue, but it is on ebay.com and probably all ebay sites. Anyway, it used to disclose the rate of exchange used when charging seller fees - 1.20202 for US to CAD right there, right on that page. Now it just says "Rate includes currency conversion charge. See exchange rate details" and the link just goes a help page.

A full disclosure of the actual exchange rate in use at the time of the transaction is important information for both parties, so it should not be hidden.

Please have this exchange rate info displayed as it used to be.

Hi @lotsa.luck - this is something we got reported to the product team yesterday and they are currently investigating. We've made sure they understand the issue and right now it seems like it's not an intended change, but a technical issue.

However, it's still under review, and if I hear back that this was a legtimiate change I'll let you know (while also providing your input on why keeping it front and center on the Summary page is important). Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Tyler, recently, eBay made changes to the Order Details page. It now only prints in landscape mode instead of Portrait. I can live that if I have to. However, the print is now so tiny that I can barely read it, and my eyesight is excellent. I use this form to generate my shipping labels (among other things) so it is important to be able to read clearly, especially the zip/postal codes. Print is so small it’s hard to tell a 6 from an 8.

There is no way to enlarge the printing or change the orientation of the form. Actually, I can change it to Portrait by printing from my IPad instead of my PC but the teeny-tiny writing stays the same size. There are many complaints about this on the .com boards too. Please add my concerns about this to whatever dept. makes these changes. I’ve already given the form a thumbs down myself.

Thank you!

Hi @msmaggie060 - I know this doesn't help in the meantime, but for what it's worth this is also something that is being looked into as a technical issue. I've gotten your account added as impacted as well, and fingers crossed we see things back to normal quickly. 

As a potential workaround for the sizing issue, are you able to save the details page as a PDF or to your desktop before you print? Many computers have a 'fake' printer option that is called something like 'print to PDF' which just saves it as a file. You could open that file and then enlarge it prior to printing. It's a bit of a two-step just for shipping, but if it makes it better while we wait for a fix from the product team that's something at least. 

Alternatively, you could use 'ctrl' + '+' or 'ctrl' + '-' to make your browser window zoom in or out! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@beatpr_26 wrote:

Hi Tyler, Still trying to figure out how to get paid in USD, Last week you said "I am not able to assist with a verification/registration issue when it comes to your payments being managed by eBay. 

I have made 3 phone calls since last week and recieved a few emils  none of them helping, One person had me on the phone for almost an hour and finally said they couldn't figure it out, and they'd call back in 15 minutes, that was a week ago

I tried opening an new account starting from scratch, that didn;t work

My 2 major problems are 1 I ship from New York and can't print lables unless I use USD which I can't becuase I on.y allowed to use a bank in CDN dollars, I tried using my CDN bank with USD and after 2 months it still won't send me the amount i earned because I must use an account with CDN funds only, so I won't be able to purchase labels. I am now using the rest of my paypal balance to do this but I only have a few $$ left

2nd reason is most of my buyers are from the US and I lose on the exchange when ebay takes my payments and puts them in American funds

One of the ebay emais I got from Managed payments SR... is it can't be done, but there many ebayers using their USD accounts,

So Tyler, is there anything you can give me to get me to someone who knows what's going on? Or anyone else out there who can help

Thanks

I wish I had a great answer for you @beatpr_26, but I don't really have one in this instance.

I do want to clarify a few things (which you are probably already aware of, but this is more for others who read the chat in the future if they have similar issues):

Once set, there is no way to change your payout currency. If you registered for payments and chose CAD as your payout currency initially it cannot be undone. The only other option would be to open a new account and when it is asked to register to select the USD option at that point. 

If you haven't registered for payments yet, you can elect to receive funds in USD but it still must be from a financial institution housed in Canada that offers a USD option. There have been mixed reviews from folks on which banks 'play nice' with this requirement (I'm pretty sure @femmefan1946 has a few horror stories about this before it got sorted). 

When it comes to shipping labels, I know that what you're wanting ideally is to avoid the double/triple conversions, but for the time being could a USD-currencied credit card work? Or even a PayPal line of credit? This isn't a permanent solution, but at least while you continue to work with CS to sort out the trouble with this payout issue that may tide you over!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed but will return on Tuesday. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 16
latest reply