Is it just me or, for purchases under $50 US, is the Global Shipping Program just a BIG rip off?

csb1400
Community Member

I was interested in a shirt for $17 US (I live in Canada). Great shirt, great price. Global shipping program brought the import fees so high that it was not worth it anymore. I reached out to the seller to see if they could ship directly. They didn't know how to get rid of the GSP so they ended up taking the price down to make up for it. 

What bugs me is that the seller made less money on the item and I had to pay more... for a scam. No brokerage was needed and, when I got the package, the price of shipping was for much less than in the description.

Maybe I am not getting something but why does this program even exist for small purchases? 

Anyone else's experiences are greatly appreciated...

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Is it just me or, for purchases under $50 US, is the Global Shipping Program just a BIG rip off?

@csb1400 wrote:

I was interested in a shirt for $17 US (I live in Canada). Great shirt, great price. Global shipping program brought the import fees so high that it was not worth it anymore. I reached out to the seller to see if they could ship directly. They didn't know how to get rid of the GSP so they ended up taking the price down to make up for it. 

What bugs me is that the seller made less money on the item and I had to pay more... for a scam. No brokerage was needed and, when I got the package, the price of shipping was for much less than in the description.

Maybe I am not getting something but why does this program even exist for small purchases? 

Lots of other threads on this issue.

But the simple answer is: Because the GLOBAL Shipping Program was never designed with Canada in mind. It was designed for the rest of the world where sending items via tracked air shipping is expensive.

The help files on eBay.com now give details for US sellers to exempt countries from GSP (using Canada as an example). But many US sellers can't be bothered to do the extra work to set up direct shipping to Canada.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

Point the US seller at the Alternative international shipping options section.

-..-

The mail import tax/duty free limit to Canada is currently $20CA or less than $15us

-..-

Message 2 of 2
latest reply