Is there an appeal process to have a “Restricted item” re-inspected...

Hi all!

Does anyone know of an appeal process to have a “Restricted item”

decision at Global Shipping Program reversed,

or how to have the item in question re-inspected?

I have had a few days ago, a notice thru EBAY indicating

my item was considered a “Restricted” item,

and therefore considered “Undeliverable”.

I just can’t figure out why my item , (An Old radio requiring

parts or for repairs),  be considered a “Restricted” item...

would like to hear from any other EBay community

members having a similar experience like mine...

I have not been able to find any way to reach anyone at GSP

either by phone or email...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Probably the toss the baby out with the bathwater approach...

some vacuum tubes are export restricted, so restrict all vacuum tube products

No, there is no appeal process and I’ve never heard of them sending the item back to the seller. They usually end up having someone sell the item for shipping within the US

marnotom!
Community Member

@in.train.ing wrote:

I have had a few days ago, a notice thru EBAY indicating

my item was considered a “Restricted” item,

and therefore considered “Undeliverable”.

I just can’t figure out why my item , (An Old radio requiring

parts or for repairs),  be considered a “Restricted” item...

I don't want to sound snotty or unsympathetic, but the fact is, your item is considered "restricted" because Pitney Bowes considers it "restricted".

A "restricted" item, no matter the carrier, is one in which the carrier is not willing or able to transport.  Sometimes that's due to import laws, sometimes it's for other reasons.  Perfume is perfectly legal to import, for example, but it's considered hazardous material by the post office and it's not supposed to be mailable.  Insurance or bonding issues may also "restrict" certain items from the GSP.  Those old Fisher-Price "little people" that were deemed choking hazards for infants could be "restricted" by the Global Shipping Program if Pitney Bowes so dictates.  For whatever reason.

In this case, I would say that yes, it's the vacuum tubes that are probably gumming up the works here.  If you do a Google search for "global shipping program vacuum tubes" you'll find other eBay community threads where this obstacle has been encountered.

Specific to the "stag"knife.

Part of the problem may have to do with the fact that part of the knife.....  the handle  came from the animal that was hunted  and killed.... and the antler was physically removed from the skull

In Canada  there are specific rules.

First a hunting license is required.

Once the animal is killed the antlers can be use to make the knife....  and the antler is 
"cut"  to remove the antlers from the skull.

But the knife handle must always have a document  that specifies that the handle came from an animal that was legally hunted.....

----------------------------------

This reality was learned when  antlers were sold in a mounted form when the item was sold at a local auction in Canada....  The antlers had been  cut from the skull.   Attached to the backside of the mounted item  was .....a copy of the original license for hunting the animal ..... or a document with the appropriate numbers ....indicated the animal whose skull/antlers  was mounted ..... was legally hunted.

---------------------

The rules in Canada might be different than the rules in the US.

The GSP may be applying Canadian rules appropriate to the stag handle.....  

I wanted to add that I believe the Kentucky sorting depot makes a decision on the

exact Ebay sellers description of the item  eg. in my case : " Vintage Stag Handled Hunting Knife".

If it had just said "Vintage Hunting Knife" it might have gone through.  They have certain

"buzz" words that will cause them to restrict certain items.  In any case, longer waits for

delivery , uncertain delivery-lost in transit or not delivered --restricted or prohibited in their

wording is for me not worth the hassle of future GSP orders.

In Reply to CUMO 55.   You are misinformed about regulations concerning "STAG".

I believe you are thinking about "IVORY" which does need documentation.  I have been

collecting knives for many, many years and am up-to-date on any rules and regulations

regarding knife sales and handle materials.  There are hundreds of stag handled knives

for sale on Ebay in all sizes and the stag is collected from fallen antlers or legally hunted

animals.  Not what you are alluding to at all.  The GSP has "buzz" words that they don't like

and will restrict items if one of those words is in the items description.  There is no restriction

on bringing stag handled knives into Canada or shipping them to the USA.

@reallynicestamps 

GSP items have always been covered by the MBG so I don’t know why you would make a statement saying that they are not ‘really covered’.  

Items sent through the Global Shipping Program are not really covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

This is also true of any forwarded item, although usually the forwarder is the choice of the buyer and not, as with the GSP, with the seller.

Further, items that are Undeliverable (wrong address supplied, address doesn't exist, access denied by roving alligators) are not covered by the MBG either.

Also considered Undeliverable are exports that cannot be imported into the destination country.

And eBay does not require the seller to refund an Undeliverable purchase.

I guess the idea is that the buyer should know what can and cannot be imported into his own country, the buyer should provide an accurate and secure address, and the buyer chose* the freight forwarder.

tyler@ebay 

Is there any system which would at least return the questionable item to the seller, which would give the buyer a chance at being refunded for the failed transaction?

*With the GSP the seller chose to use it, but the buyer chose to buy from that seller and accepted that the GSP would be used.

I ordered a beautiful and no longer made STAG handled knife from a seller on

the GSP.  I needed it to complete my collection.  It was flagged at the GSP sorting

depot in  Kentucky as "prohibited" because of the Stag handles.  I have ordered several

of these same knives in different lengths from other US sellers not on the GSP and received

them with no problem.  I argued back and forth with the GSP to no avail and explained that

stag was now sourced from fallen antlers.  No use.  I had great difficulty in getting a refund 

as well from Pitney Bowes.  This is why I no longer order from any seller on the GSP.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts