Shipping costs for magazines

I am trying to switch all of my magazines for sale from EBAY.CA to EBAY. COM. However EBAY.COM has a $6.00 limit that can be charged for shipping a magazine which I don't get since some magazines can be very bulky and can cost $12-$15 to ship. I tried to figure out a way to do it with flat shipping but without any luck. EBAY Canada has no such restrictions and at the very least a magazine would cost around $8.00 to ship in North America...Something escapes me

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Anything which is bulky or heavy needs to use Parcel Rates and should be kept on dotCA

Remember that your customer sees the price in the currency of the site he is Searching on, so if he is Searching on dotCOM he will see your offerings because you ship to the USA and he will see them in US dollars.

The reason you can't charge more than $6USD to ship is that dotCOM has the bloody stupid shipping cap on Media.

The USA has a low and slow Media Rate for books*, CDs , DVDs etc.

This applies only to Flat Rate.

American -based sellers can use Calculated Shipping, which is not available to Canadian sellers.

So?

Bite the bullet.

List on dotCA, in Canadian dollars.

Use Calculated Shipping to give your buyer the price of shipping to her doorstep OR use Flat Rate shipping OR use Free Shipping (which means including the cost of shipping in the asking price of the item).

Or mix it up.

Use a Flat Rate of $6 on dotCOM listings, then increase the asking price of your magazines by the difference.

Which is cheapest?

A $5 zine with $10 shipping?

A $10 zine with $5 shipping?

A $15 zine with Free Shipping?

And remember that if you use Free Shipping on domestic shipping that all your Shipping FVF will be based on that -- even if you charge $25 to ship to Australia there will be no shipping FVF.

*But not for magazines or anything that includes advertisements, including catalogues and programmes.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@thevillage1955 wrote:

I am trying to switch all of my magazines for sale from EBAY.CA to EBAY. COM. However EBAY.COM has a $6.00 limit that can be charged for shipping a magazine which I don't get since some magazines can be very bulky and can cost $12-$15 to ship. I tried to figure out a way to do it with flat shipping but without any luck. EBAY Canada has no such restrictions and at the very least a magazine would cost around $8.00 to ship in North America...Something escapes me

You build the extra cost into the price of your magazine (for under 1kg flat rate is easy to do for the USA),  over 1kg you either start making best guess or list on eBay.ca in Cdn$ with calculated shipping.

USA - Lettermail / Light Packet / Small Packet (2016)

051-100g ..  2.95 Stamps
101-200g ..  5.15 Stamps
000-200g ..  5.70 Light Packet

Today $6us will buy $7.56cdn

201-300g ..  8.23 Light Packet
000-250g ..  8.36 Small Packet (Air)
201-500g .. 10.30 Stamps
251-500g .. 11.07 Small Packet (Air)
501g-1kg .. 16.65 Small Packet (Air)

All of the choices above are flat rate for anywhere in the USA.

Lettermail (stamps) or light packet are only useful for under 2cm thick.

Small Packet can be more than 2cm thick, has a bar code with number, originate scan available, but no on-line tracking and no insurance.

-..-

Shipping to Canada is much more restricted for flat rate -- as under 500g and under 2cm are the only inexpensive flat rate options. After that you jump to expensive variable parcel rates. So you need calculated parcel or best guess.

Although, when listing on eBay.com you do not need to specify shipping to Canada. You can mark that shipping is available to Canada, and have the buyer contact you for the actual shipping cost.

Canada - Oversize Lettermail (2016 stamp rates)
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

-..-

Message 3 of 3
latest reply