Seller overcharges for shipping and does not want to refund...

Hi all,

I bought a book on ebay Canada and seller charged me 21.20 USD for Airmail shipping with tracking number.

I paid for the item and got positive feedback from the seller.

Tracking number was never recognized by Canada Post office web site....

When receiving the item, I noticed that the seller paid 9.37 USD for shipping.... When I asked him for a refund, he pretended not to understand why.

I already opened a claim with Paypal and wanted to open a case on ebay resolution center. No success.

Do I need to open a case ? Is my Paypal claim enough ? Any help on getting these crooks out of this great we site ?

Thank you all for your time.

Regards,

Bernarfd

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

"I bought a book on ebay Canada and seller charged me 21.20 USD for Airmail shipping with tracking number."

If you received the item, and knew what the shipping cost was, what is the issue?

Look at it this way... if seller offered Free Shipping, but cost of item was original price + $21.20 (same total amount) would you still be unhappy?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You should NOT be seeking a refund. Here's an example why: The seller uses flat rate shipping cost so everybody pays the same price but the seller actually pays a variable price depending on location. So while the seller may be profiting on your sale, he may be loosing money when he ships an item to buyer in another location.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

for Airmail shipping with tracking number......Tracking number was never recognized by Canada Post office web site....

Was the seller in the USA?

Was he shipping through the Global Shipping Program?

A Canadian seller would either be using LetterMail or more likely Regular Parcel. Only the second is tracked.

An American seller using the GSP would be shipping with Confirmation of Delivery to the GSP plant in Kentucky. That's what the $9 probably is.

Then Canadian duty and tax are assessed and forwarded to the Canadian Government, and a $5 or so service fee is also assessed. These charges come out of that $21.

And yes, an American company is collecting money for the Canadian Government. It's a normal thing. Don't get your panties in a knot. LL Bean does it too.

And then the parcel is forwarded to Canada with an internal GSP tracking number. They can find it, you can't and neither can Canada Post.

It's a badly designed and badly excecuted program, meant to provide protection for US sellers. The international buyer's situation was not considered.

But it's legal. And no, the seller is only at fault for wanting protection against unwarranted claims for non-delivery out of his own country.

And as I post all too often in a slightly different context.

Which is most expensive:

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $15 item with free shipping?

The total price was acceptable when you bought. There is no reason to change your mind just because you can now see how the total breaks down.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You can't open a case on both paypal and ebay...it is one or the other.

Neither of them give partial refunds unless the seller is willing do settle the claim that way. Since there is no way to open a case because you think that you were charged too much for the item or shipping...you must have opened a not as described case? If that is the case,  then paypal will likely tell you to send the book back so that you can get a full refund.

Although I agree that a $10 difference between what you paid for shipping and what you were charged isn't really reasonable, you did agree upon the shipping price when you purchased the item so it is up to the seller whether or not they want to give you a partial refund. Keep in mind too that the shipping charge also includes all shipping supplies. eBay also charges a percentage on shipping fees so the seller would have paid an extra $2 + on the shipping charge. The seller should put that fee in the item cost rather than the shipping cost, but either way it has to be paid for somehow.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The seller probably intended to send it as a tracked packet but probably selected tthe wrong shipping option when printing the label through PayPal
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@mater721 : Very simple, I would never have looked at this item at this price...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Guys,

Thank you all for your answers.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you.

A seller should set a price for an item, should get the right shipping fees (that seller asked Canada P.O for options) and bill the total amount.

I think this is highly dishonest. A guy sells a book for 4 USD and gets 15USD by ripping the buyer.... How is that normal ?

Flat rate was never an option in this sale, so I don't see why I should pay in compensation for someone else's shipping...

I trusted the seller (even though I found the shipping price a little too high) and this is what I get for behaving the right way on this site: a rip-off.

I've dealt with many sellers before and when there was such a problem, I didn't even have to ask for refund, the seller would just do it. Just a matter of honesty once again....

Am I the only one thinking honor is worth more than 10 bucks ?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If seller changed part of the terms of the deal, I could see where you might have a case.

But from reading your OP, you knew the cost was book-price + $21.20? And you had no problem with that cost?

Then, as long as you got the item in a reasonable time, I don't see an issue.

"I trusted the seller (even though I found the shipping price a little too high) and this is what I get for behaving the right way on this site: a rip-off."

Is part of the story missing?

How did you "behave the right way"?

And if you found the shipping too high, why did you purchase? You are either happy with cost (buy) or not happy (don't buy).

It really is that simple.

In all likelihood, if the cost of shipping was lower, the cost of the item would have been higher. = same Total Cost.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply