Will Canada Post send my package back if it's a bit over 2 cm?

I want to ship as Light Packet USA and Lettermail, but will they send my package back if it's a little bit over 2 centimeters? I'm really not sure how strict they're with these things. It would be a big hassle for me, and the buyer. Thank you.

View Entire Topic

@easycanadianitems wrote:

I want to ship as Light Packet USA and Lettermail, but will they send my package back if it's a little bit over 2 centimeters? I'm really not sure how strict they're with these things.

Fairly strict because this is a case of having the item not jam the postal sorting equipment (designed for processing lettermail).  You can go a tiny bit over and still have it go through the system (since the machines can handle 0.8 inch thick lettermail). [2.03cm on my calculator]

Returns: As long as you have a clearly marked return address it will get back to you.

Thickness checking: at the counter with the plastic Canada Post size template, OR the mail slot at a postal outlet OR the lettermail slot at a Canada Post mail collection box. If it fits it goes.

Packaging: the packaging is where you balance protection versus thickness. For what I sell via lettermail, padded envelopes are too thick, kraft paper bubble envelopes are about right and I have a bunch of heavy duty paper envelopes that are even thinner. Lots of options to consider.

Shipping: You can purchase Light Packet through paypal -- there should be a postal tracking number on the label, write it down, paypal doesn't seem to record the number. At this time it is just an internal Canada Post tracking number, but you (and your buyer) can see online when the item was scanned into the Canada Post system.

Ask a Question