selling in cdn how does paypal pay you cdn or us

have just returned to selling on ebay. things have really changed. if I list in cdn funds how does Paypal pay me? In cdn or US funds?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

When listing on .ca must list in CDN and your funds will be received into PayPal account as CDN.

If listing on.com site, listings are in USD and your funds will be sent to PayPal account in USD.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@jigga1000 wrote:

... if I list in cdn funds how does Paypal pay me? In cdn or US funds?

The currency you list in is the currency you receive in PayPal -- provided you have the currency set up (otherwise paypal will convert to your primary currency).

Setting up multiple currencies is easy.

Sign into paypal, next to PayPal balance click on the Details link, then select Manage currencies and add/subtract active currencies and pick which one to be primary. For example I have Canadian Dollar as primary, US dollar and UK Pound as active currencies. If I make a US$ sale it goes into the US currency balance and I don't lose on exchange fees -- I can use that balance to buy things in US$ or wait until the exchange rate is good before converting to Cdn$ or in the unlikely event I need to make a US$ refund I can do it from the US$ balance and not lose on the exchange value.

eBay.CA is now Canadian $ only for new listings, if you want US$ you must now must list on eBay.COM

You can have up to 50 free listings on each site per month -- assuming your account does not have a listing limit, and you select 5 day or longer for the listing time (1 and 3 day now have a $1 minimum listing fee).

-..-

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, I understand now.  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

When you move your US balance to Canada, Paypal is required (by the US government) to change your money into loonies. Then it goes into your bank, in loonies. And foreign exchange will be charged.

If you want to put it into  US dollar account in a Canadian bank, you will be charged foreign exchange again, because it is being changed from the loonies the bank received into US dollars again.

If you want to receive your US dollar payments in US dollars, without doubled foreign exchange, you will need a US dollar account in a US bank, like RBCBank (a subsidiary of the Royal Bank of Canada) or TDNorth (a subsidiary of TDCanada Trust).

You can enquire at your local branch about this, but pay attention to the banking fees.

Hey what else is new?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply