Fees, Taxes etc just not worth it.

I'm a small-time buyer and private seller in Canada just moving on my own personal possessions on eBay for the last 9 years. I recently sold 8 items posted on eBay.com for $2400 CAD. All the items were sold to US buyers. My payout is going to be $1720 CAD. I've also paid for shipping out of that so that leaves around $1450 CAD. This just doesn't seem worth it for me. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

what I can sell locally I do so...what doesn't draw interest locally I sell on eBay and 2 other sites...There is no perfect site, so best to work out your needs accordingly, wherever and/or how you want to deal with your selling going forward...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I think the problem is that YOU paid for shipping.

That's not how it works.

The BUYER pays for shipping.

Even if you were offering "free" shipping, which buyers love, what really happens is that you include your shipping cost in the asking price of the listing.

Which is cheaper: A watch at $110 with $20* shipping or a  watch at $130 with Free Shipping?

And again, buyers love "free" shipping. Would the watch sell as easily at the apparently higher price?

We get a small discount on some parcel services with our Solutions for Small Business card and can buy Expedited USA which is slightly faster and tracked for the same price as Small Packet Air which is not tracked.

Your fees are calculated on the whole amount of the buyer's payment to you, not just the selling price but also the shipping fee you charge him.

*I'm not convinced you can ship to the USA with tracking a package as heavy as a watch in a box for $20. That may also be part of your problem.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Same here the fees are too much and by the time the payment hold is off and when you do get the final payment its not worth it. After 13 years i will delete my frofile and go with facebook marketplace that works well.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

well I guess if one doesn't have the patience to wait, there's little the rest of us can give for advice and/or support...

as an occasional low volume seller I have my payouts now set for monthly...I am not that desperate for money that I cannot wait...

for some of us "old-timers",  the need for instaneous this or that in today's society is concerning, it's like no one knows how to be patient anymore...

wonder how today's society would get by on a once per month pay check such as was very common decades ago?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I have been selling for about 4monts now never had any major problems but what eBay has done now is

unforgivable. My last sale is being held for 30 days. I have tried to work it out with eBay, now they will not even oblige me with the basics of talking with me. Despite a lot of attempts by me to contact them.

Non communication leaves me to believe that they are covering up something. 

I am a diabetic, with the hold on my payments I CAN'T even afford to get my medications.

EBAY is purposely putting me  in danger because I can no longer keep track of my SUGAR LEVEL'S.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

k-_**z
Community Member

I have been with eBay for over 15 years, most of that time was as a buyer. 
Now that I'm selling that 15years means absolutely nothing. 
Item was delivered over 2weeks ago with a positive feedback rating. The buyer also willing to help

with getting my money. 

That I guess would also be a futile attempt.

Please,  if there is anybody out the there, that can tell me how  keep eBay to accountable,

please, please help me out with this matter

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

If you've got positive feedback from the transaction, you can get ebay to manually release the funds into "ready for payout" status - I've done it many times before.

You just need either positive feedback or delivery confirmation from tracking. I've used both with no issue. If for some reason the agent on the phone tells you that you have to wait the full 30 days or whatever it is, they are misinformed/lazy or possibly both. Just say "ok, I understand, thank you for your time" and hang up. Then call back again and talk to another agent.

As an aside, make sure you have payouts set to daily so that it gets sent to your bank account as soon as it is cleared for payout.

Hope this helps you somewhat, or at the very least spurs some productive discussion.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If sellers look to eBay as an instant way to get instant cash, well then they have not done their homework regarding online selling...

All sites have their rules and policies and ways of working their payment systems...and many of these sites now also place limits/restricts, payment holds on their new sellers, but it is understood from the user agreements that ANY seller can have limits/restrictions/payment holds for ANY reason/at the discretion of site management/staff/employees.

BTW, Using eBay, and/or relying on eBay or any selling site as a way to get instant cash for medications is simply foolish, unwise, and irresponsible.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@k-_**z 

Occasional sellers do have their customer's cleared payments held, but you can ask to have them released earlier.

Avoid the phones.

Those lead to a sub-contracted call centre somewhere in Utah. The staff are undertrained and have no authority. Mostly they want to get you off the phone so they can have a pee break.

You want the social media accounts that are manned by eBay employees.

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

You can also ask every 30 days to have your restrictions lifted or reduced. If you have been using tracking have those numbers handy, and make sure they are all reported on your Orders page.

About the meds.

Since you are low income, call your city councillor and ask for a referral to the social services department. There are some programs that provide essential medications for low income residents. Your doctor may also have some suggestions, or may be able to provide you with free meds from her stash of samples from pharma reps who call on her.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply