Getting paid in Canada

Hi all,

I've searched and read countless topics but never saw someone with a definitive solution. I've had my ebay account for 18 years and when Managed Payments became a thing I just clicked "pay me in USD" as I figured my bank would have a better conversion rate. Fast forward I get paid for a listing and can't withdraw. 

Call & chat eBay numerous times and their solution is to:

1. Cancel my account and create a new one

2. Get a US chequing account

I bank with Tangerine, I tried the USD Savings account but that of course doesn't work. eBay's support just doesn't care, they go so far as to say "I wish I had the answer you were expecting". 

How do I get my funds?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Getting paid in Canada

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay support is pretty much correct on this one. You need to find and open a US dollar chequing (checking?) account with a supported Canadian financial institution to accept unconverted US dollar payments through eBay’s Managed Payments system.

Once you get that up and running, any backlogged payouts that you have will be deposited to that account.

Beware of accounts with financial institutions that are Canadian-owned banks on US soil, such as RBC Bank (different animal than RBC Royal Bank) or Désjardins Bank (based in Florida).  Those won't work with Managed Payments.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Getting paid in Canada

You must have a checking account.

It must be with a Canadian bank.

The account can be in loonies or in US dollars.

I was very annoyed that after my online account had been working just fine for a month, it suddenly was not, and it took two months for me to just give up and attach MP to a different checking account with a different bank. But when I did, cursing and swearing under my breath the whole time, my entire Held payment was promptly transferred and things have been smooth since then.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply