Managed Payments Difficulty #1

My sign up window was quickly winding down, so not wanting to risk an unnecessary interruption I decided to go ahead and sign-up, that was yesterday, April 15th.

The application process was extremely brief. After confirming my name, address and phone number that was already on record, I was asked to provide my date of birth, bank transit and account number ... nothing else. 

I was expecting to be asked to provide verification of my identity and additional banking info too but nope, this did not happen, nor was there any mention of providing a SIN.

Upon confirming my bank account info my account was literally activated within seconds, that's right folks, immediate activation! 

Within half an hour my first MP transaction occured which happened to be an ebay.ca listing. All seemed ok with it, listed as processing, but at that point I'd had just 30 minutes experience with MP.

What could go wrong?

Well, as it turns out quite a bit actually.

Seems a pandemic has turned the world upside down for over a year now and continues to do so, I wonder if the folks directing the implementation of MP have noticed?

This morning, April 16th a second transcation occurs, this time it's an ebay.com listing that has sold. Right on the heels of the Sale Confirmation email follows an Action Required: Update Your Identity email that reads:

"Hi XXXXXXX,

You need to update some identity information on your eBay account. This information is required to meet the regulatory requirements for selling on international sites.

Please update your identity information by May 14, 2021 to release your held payouts and avoid further restrictions."

Say what? Why on earth was this info not requested when I registered just yesterday?

Why would my account be activated with incomplete information in the first place?

This is definitely an irritating development but I think ok, the world is not ending, I will just play along and see what they want me to do.

So I follow directions and click on the Update Your Identity link ...

Update your account details

We need your nationality to meet  regulatory obligations in other jurisdictions.

Nationality is the citizenship you hold  regardless of where you currently live.

{drop-down country list here}

Provide a government ID

This can be a current driver's license or passport. The ID can't have expired.

{more drop-down lists to select ID type and country plus a line to enter the ID number.}

Save

Hmm ... alright then, I'll just grab my wallet and get that number off my driver's license. I'm suspicous though that clicking Save may initiate another screen with further instructions.

This is where the "what could wrong" part rears it head.

In Ontario we are issued a photo id driver's licence that is renewed every 5 years, the Government routinely mails out a renewal notice well in advance of expiry. This reminds the holder to visit to a Service Ontario office where a new photo is taken and license fee paid so that the new updated license can be produced, then after an interval of several weeks the new license arrives by mail.

Looking over my license I suddenly realize to my horror that the expiry date has passed. **bleep**!

Due to on-going pandemic renewal notices are not being issued, for the time being for public health reasons the Government of Ontario has not wanted a big slice of the population trotting off to Service Ontario for renewals of any sort. I would guess 10% or more of the population are by now carrying expired health cards and driver's licenses. I imagine many have expired passports as well. 

Upon investigation I found that I could pay my license renewal fee online, skip the photo shoot, and print off a temporary extension document which I have done. Dependent on the expiry date and personal situation apparently some drivers are allowed to just carry-on with what they've got for now. Ontario health cards, that share the same photo as the driver's license are not being renewed at this time. I'm not a world traveler, so no passport for MP.

Next week I guess I will supply my driver's license number and see what happens. If I'm asked to send MP a photo of my expired license and temporary extension document ... what are the odds that will fly? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What happened with this? Did uploading the expired license photo work? Or what else did you have to do?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

This thread will likely be shut down pretty quick as it's almost five months dead.  However, as @kawartha-ephemera is actively selling and using Managed Payments, it looks as though something got worked out.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@upperwestave wrote:

What happened with this? Did uploading the expired license photo work? Or what else did you have to do?

To my surprise MP did not ask that I upload a photo of my drivers license. They asked only for the province of issue, and license number which I provided.  My held funds were released  3 or 4 business days later. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply