Paypei's incompetence and account lockdown policy

Let's see. I start disputed an unauthorized transaction with my Card issuer (BAnk).  Paypal opens a dispute and, viola, freezes my account. I restored the access from what the agent told me to do.  Next, I withdraw 4500+CAD into my bank account.  Three days later, Paypal forces the amount right out of my bank account without even notifying me.  My PP account shows no record of it but my bank statement does.  On top of this **bleep** I did withdrawal from my savings acount to my PP balance ($2300) 4 days later.  Now its all locked.  PP won't do squat based on a technicality and won't admit their incompetence. 

sept 14. withdrawal 4500+ to bank accout

setp. 17 Paypal reverses it (no records shown)

setp. 18 deposited 2300 to pp balance from my other  bank account 

Huh HUH??????

So its gone, my account is perma lockdown.  I have to practically change to new bank accuont numbers for a new PP account  ( using same account numbers, Bank and CC wise) will not be accepted and blocked.

Thanks Paypie.  For all the business I gave you and yuour draconian policy and uuter refusal to accept my proofs of identity (address, bank statement, photo id, my legal name certifcate).

Now, I have to file a claim with my banks to retrieve those funds.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

To protect yourself from this in the future:

1) Don't keep $4500 in your paypal acct.

2) Open a new bank acct at your bank for daily use.  Your existing bank acct that is linked to your PP acct is now tainted.  Stop using it for all other purposes other than for PP.  Keep this acct at near zero balance.  Then when you pull $ out of your PP into this bank acct, immediately transfer the $ out of it into another acct.  If PP tries to steal your money from your bank acct, it will be empty.  Your bank will NOT allow PP to pull the $ from other accts you have, because they will not tell PP what else you have.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

A few things here.

First, for every action that PayPal takes, there will be a reason. It may not be what we consider right, but then again, we agreed to the fine print when we signed up, so we can expect PayPal will do what it feels is best for it's business.

Second, you haven't provided many details. Was this disputed amount a purchase that was made using your PayPal account? If so, they might have reason to think your account has been compromised and that thieves are trying to withdraw ill gotten gains which explains why the deposit was reversed.

Have you phoned PayPal and talked to someone there to get an idea of what is going on? To be sure this would be frustrating, but based on what you are saying, they are either protecting your account from what they perceive as unauthorized actions, or you have multiple issues. 

Most retails merchants surely wouldn't want funds tied up with debit/credit terminals for longer than a certain period. In fact, most retailers I have worked for did daily reconciliation which would result in transfers happening overnight depending on how it works. 

This has been a heated topic for a while in Canada as PayPal acts as a bank but is not registered as such, so this is why the suggestion to have a separate account for PayPal at a separate bank, to ensure no "dipping" happens, however that may occur. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:

A few things here.

First, for every action that PayPal takes, there will be a reason. It may not be what we consider right, but then again, we agreed to the fine print when we signed up, so we can expect PayPal will do what it feels is best for it's business.

Second, you haven't provided many details. Was this disputed amount a purchase that was made using your PayPal account? If so, they might have reason to think your account has been compromised and that thieves are trying to withdraw ill gotten gains which explains why the deposit was reversed.

Have you phoned PayPal and talked to someone there to get an idea of what is going on? To be sure this would be frustrating, but based on what you are saying, they are either protecting your account from what they perceive as unauthorized actions, or you have multiple issues. 

Most retails merchants surely wouldn't want funds tied up with debit/credit terminals for longer than a certain period. In fact, most retailers I have worked for did daily reconciliation which would result in transfers happening overnight depending on how it works. 

This has been a heated topic for a while in Canada as PayPal acts as a bank but is not registered as such, so this is why the suggestion to have a separate account for PayPal at a separate bank, to ensure no "dipping" happens, however that may occur. 

I read the terms and conditions.  No where does it state they can reverse funds based on little evidence that my account or "someone" had access to my CC information and used it fraudenlty.

By incomptence, the agent asked to me to verify my account and then unlocked it.  The Next thing that happened, after I withdrew my funds, it was reversed.

The supervisor was flippant when I told her the creation page never explicitly states he/she needs to use the legal name in case where in the future verification would be needed when there could be security breach in the account.  The Terms and Conditions/User policy does not state the legal name must be used in creation of the account.

Whatever...I even stated I have my legal name certificate to prove all the documents I upload belongs to me.  Whatever, it was denied.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 5
latest reply