eBay Canada illegally charging taxes on precious metals of purity 999.

😠eBay Canada started illegally charging taxes on precious metals of purity 999 (Platinum, Gold, Silver) on the buyers side.

🎗This is illegal, per the Canadian law there should be no taxes on precious metals of 999 purity🎗.

I wrote formal complaint letters to eBay CEO "Jamie Iannone" and North America director "Jordan Sweetnam" and mailed the 2 letters to this address:
Ebay Inc.
2025 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California 95125
USA

🎉Buyers/Sellers: Please do the same and esclating this.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

So much ado about NOTHING, eBay announced over a week ago that any taxes incorrectly charged will be refunded to the Buyer, no big deal.

And you already started a thread about this and no reaction the last time...

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The fact that eBay may refund any overcharges is not the point.  If eBay is charging taxes when they shouldn't many of those buyers  are just going to go elsewhere to  make the purchase.  What guarantee is there that eBay is even going to admit that they charged incorrectly?   Why should a buyer have to go to the trouble to get back what they didn't owe? 

A different situation but ebay has also said they will refund European VAT double charges.  From what I've read, this does not always happen. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I used to purchase billion on eBay but recently stopped cause I don't want the hassle of contacting eBay for a refund on taxes they shouldn't of took to begin with. Many buyers won't even bother contacting eBay cause they don't read this forum and they will be left with a very sour taste about eBay.

I imagine many buyers are going to do the same thing. I feel sorry for bullion sellers on eBay right now.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
I don’t hang out very much on the .com boards anymore, but a couple of weeks ago I did a scan of messages and came to the conclusion that bullion sellers on the .com had to put up with a glitch that saw their merchandise hit with “internet sales tax” in the early days of those taxes being applied. I have no idea how long it took that glitch to be fixed, but it looks as though it eventually did.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Update: I got contacted on July 25th by eBay executive team regarding my complaint letter and they asked me to provide screenshots, I did sent them 3 examples.
So hopefully they will do something regarding this.
I will keep you updated....

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
I don’t hang out very much on the .com boards anymore, but a couple of weeks ago I did a scan of messages and came to the conclusion that bullion sellers on the .com had to put up with a glitch that saw their merchandise hit with “internet sales tax” in the early days of those taxes being applied. I have no idea how long it took that glitch to be fixed, but it looks as though it eventually did.

The major problem with this is when eBay makes a mistake it "seems" to be entirely up to the buyer or seller to push/plead/beg for a credit. When eBay's calculator was incorrect at the beginning of 2021 it took close to 6 weeks to correct the issue. Sellers were never credited for that mistake. In my case the discrepancy was in the neighbourhood of 100.00 in lost profits. In speaking to several other sellers it was substantially more. Sadly no accountability.  This will be another similar situation.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
If you were erroneously charged sales tax on a zero-rated item in a brick and mortar store, how would a refund of the tax work if as a buyer you weren’t able to push/plead/beg?
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
If you were erroneously charged sales tax on a zero-rated item in a brick and mortar store, how would a refund of the tax work if as a buyer you weren’t able to push/plead/beg?

Face to Face is sooo much easier to get anything resolved. Here's my bill. Here's where you charged me. Defending poor practices does not get us anywhere for resolving them. eBay has stated they will refund but to date there is no written policy I know of and most buyers for go to use the agents vs facebook when they are unaware of another way.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Face to Face is sooo much easier to get anything resolved. Here's my bill. Here's where you charged me. Defending poor practices does not get us anywhere for resolving them. eBay has stated they will refund but to date there is no written policy I know of and most buyers for go to use the agents vs facebook when they are unaware of another way.

Have you tried getting a refund for a tax-mischarge?  If not, you can't really say the process is easier.  Besides, you'd be speaking only from your experience.  Some people prefer being semi-anonymous and going through procedures like this electronically rather than in person.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I just had a chat with an ebay rep about this exact thing last night. The rep rattled off rules stating the government requires it. I told them that PST and GST both have exempt items and that it is illegal to charge taxes on exempt items. They were charging PST on delivery charges which is wrong. I told them i would purchase items on Amazon as long as they are aware of the taxation rules and only charge tax where required. I dont care if its only $1.. i wint pay it or spend hours trying to get my money back. Maybe they bought software from the makers of Arrivcan?
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I just had a chat with an ebay rep about this exact thing last night. The rep rattled off rules stating the government requires it. I told them that PST and GST both have exempt items and that it is illegal to charge taxes on exempt items. They were charging PST on delivery charges which is wrong. I told them i would purchase items on Amazon as long as they are aware of the taxation rules and only charge tax where required. I dont care if its only $1.. i wont pay it or spend hours trying to get my money back. Maybe they bought software from the makers of Arrivcan? Its been months since your post and they are still doing this..can you imagine the millions the government has made on exempt items??
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

EBay is still illegally charging taxes on tax exempt items. Whats the excuse now? I will take my business elsewhere.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Have you tried getting a refund for a tax-mischarge?  If not, you can't really say the process is easier.  Besides, you'd be speaking only from your experience.  Some people prefer being semi-anonymous and going through procedures like this electronically rather than in person.

@marnotom! 

@kitty_cherie 

I only posted because a number of buyers and/or sellers were concerned about the question of incorrect/non applicable tax being charged and getting the standard ebay runaround. After months of requesting/suggesting Devon finally posted where and how to apply for a credit. This should have been easily available from day 1. As far as I know it's still not included anywhere in help. They always say they will get back to us regarding questions/required repairs when something new is dropped on us but they almost never do. Or suddenly wayyyy down the road its magically fixed with no fanfare or apology. When an eBay seller makes a mistake they are held accountable. Should be other way around too!!! Remember when eBay said coins and currency could not be listed with MP. They made it happen. Reason being the 1.6 M + available listings(at the time) already running.

-Lotz 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply