About Alibaba

I've been reading posts about Alibaba here for some time and I just saw a news report on the site.

In the past I've gone there to check it out but couldn't see any opening for me to list and nothing of interest to buy either.

I'd love to list there because I've lost all my Asian eBay buyers recently.  (Where did they go?)

The items are sort of odd by our standards.

I'm lost as to why this site continues to be touted as up and coming competition for Amazon and eBay as well.

As far as I can tell the site will have to do a complete overhaul before it appeals to those of us who sell antiques.

What am I missing?

That said:  I did have the impression that they make their money by investing the money spent by buyers because it isn't released to sellers until the items are delivered.  Perhaps there are no fees?

I understand that some may disagree but I'm pretty sure paypal has been doing this on the sly for a very long time as well and perhaps this is why they're splitting paypal from eBay at this time?

(BTW:  Did anyone else notice that they recently stopped holding funds for new sellers or is that just me?)

I know this post is kind of garbled but I don't understand the appeal of Alibaba.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

About Alibaba

When the satirical website Regretsy was active they posted a lot of items that were purchased on Alibaba and then foisted off on Etsy buyers as handcrafted and unique.

The site has been archived*, but it is still a hoot to read their commentary on the pretentious and spacey listings on that site.

So I gather the site is best as a place to buy for resale or for items to rework for your own crafts.

The audience is primarily Chinese (their 11-11 /Bachelor Day sales were almost as strong as the US Black Friday) but while China does have a large middle class nowadays, I'm not sure what income make a mainland China resident middle class. $5000 a year? $20,000 a year?

*http://wayback.archive-it.org/all/20121103061920/http://www.regretsy.com/2012/10/30/healing-through-...

*http://wayback.archive-it.org/all/20120107133733/http://www.regretsy.com/

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

Right On!  And that is exactly where I peg Alibaba.  Lots of worthless junk

I understand that it's making a lot of money in that part of the world and more than our sites here apparently.  (Who cares?)

What I don't understand is why it;s being described as looming and up and coming and having Amazon and eBay shaking in their boots?

I just see a site with a lot of junk and nothing much to offer anyone here on this side of the world.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

alibaba is a lot more then the alibaba site.  Its taoboa and tmall in china that are their equivalent of ebay.  11main just launched still tiny) in the US   is what they are going for as their ebay/amazon here(if they dont use their huge cash balance to just buy someone else) .  The alibaba site is their Chinese seller to export to business elsewhere site

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

73rhc
Community Member

"The items are sort of odd by our standards"

Have you really looked at this site. Everything under the sun can been bought. Except for maybe antiques, collectable and so forth. But when it comes to new items, what is it that they don't have???

"I'd love to list there because I've lost all my Asian eBay buyers recently"

"As far as I can tell the site will have to do a complete overhaul before it appeals to those of us who sell antiques."

You kind of contradict yourself....

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

toby, there must be more or the site would flat here.  

Lots of Chinese garbage when I looked.

73......... I meant that I'd love to find a Chinese or Asian site where I could list and fit in and I was hoping it would be Alibaba.

It's not.

I saw nothing on the site worthwhile. 

That's why I'm puzzled as to all the hype.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

Maybe you should look a little deeper.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

@73rhc wrote:

Maybe you should look a little deeper.

Be precise.

Where would/should I look?

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

Start with the homepage and look at all of the categories and the number of listings. And then the content. I really get aggravated by posters like you that hide behind a different username. What are you hidding from? It's really easy to comment and complain, when no one knows who you are or what you list!

Try looking here:
http://offer.alibaba.com/catalogs/products/
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

Alibaba is a portal into a variety of sites. It is not just like eBay. It links you to wholesalers and manufacturers.

It is more like an English internet for outsiders to use in China.
Photobucket
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

73:  

Clearly that's exactly where I started in the first place but thanks for trying.

The best advice I can give you is to put me on ignore.

No need to get yourself so twisted up over nothing.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

But why all the hype that Amazon and eBay should be very worried about Alibaba taking their business?

I just don't see it.

I understand that its making more money than eBay, but so what?

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

They already ran ebay out of china and have set their sight on the rest of the world now, with very deep pockets.  More is sold on Alibaba's sites then ebay and amzn combined.  Its growing far faster then both of them, and far more profitable.   Alipay is bigger then paypal.  Other then aliexpress (chinese business to intl consumer) and new 11main aimed at USA sellers, they haven't tried to do anything here, yet.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

Exactly what the news report stated toby, but so what?

The site would have to be completely redone to have any appeal to North American buyers and sellers.

Lots of hype but I don't see that eBay or Amazon have anything to worry about.

Newsworthy?  It was a major story on the news last night but when they state that Amazon should be worried I don't get that.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

I understand what the site is. I was responding to the inane comment that there is nothing of interest on the site!
Message 15 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

Clearly the only thing that gets me twisted is ridiculous comments with no substance. People like yourself who come here to rant and hide behind an idle username, have no merit. When hidding behind such a username, one can say anything. But at the end of the day, it's all BS. No one can see if what you are saying is made up or not. You can complain about your problem buyers, but we don't even know if you have ever actually sold anything. So do everyone a favour, either come clean with your real id or stop posting altogether.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

73rhc:  I have never complained about a buyer and ranted about anything.  Just a few casual observations here and there.

For example: 

I posted about Alibaba.

Obviously the topic is of interest or it wouldn't getting so many views.   I did not expect that!

For some reason you have yourself all upset and twisted up over nothing much of import.

You have nothing to say so it's best to say nothing at all. 

Once again:  Do yourself a favour and stop reading my posts.  Put me on ignore for goodness sakes if you can't handle it.

Don't upset yourself like this.

Relax and move on.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

You really think "redoing a site" is any issue for a company holding billions, making billions, and about to do a bond issue for billions more?   They already have a whole new american site that has just become accessible without an invitation.  Its very small, they are contacting US ebay sellers they want and offering them a deal to list there.  

Its not the alibaba site that is the equivalent of ebay.  if we were in china we'd be selling on taobao.com.  The huge ebay sellers would be on tmall.  

Shop.ca in canada  working with millions of dollars has been willing to lose money on every transaction to bribe buyers with high value coupons and cashback.  Alibaba could get into a price/marketing war with ebay/amzn funded with billions.     Alibaba coming to other countries is like walmart arriving in Canada

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

Uh yeah, you gave ranted about so called "idiot" buyers. Look at your posts. The topic is of interest only because of your comments make no sense. And people are calling you on it.

I am in no way upset. And I will comment on any post of my choosing. You have sidestepped my question and comment about your hidden ID. Why are you hidding? What are you afraid of?
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

About Alibaba

@73rhc wrote:
 You have sidestepped my question and comment about your hidden ID. ............... What are you afraid of?

Nut bars like you!

Message 20 of 24
latest reply