About Returns and Tracking

This has come up a number of tines for me personally and here on the board as well, and I think I know the answer but I'm not 100% on it.

If I return an item to a seller with tracking but without going through the ebay system, and then something goes awry.........

Can I file a case after the fact and use the tracking number as proof that the item was returned and get my refund?

OR........ is it necessary to open a case or go through the ebay system directly prior to returning the item for the tracking to be valid?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Raphael, Bryan, Kalvin or one of the other ebay reps.

Can you please help me with that?

I'm 94% sure the tracking would still apply after-the-fact but I want to be 100% sure.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I'm 94% sure the tracking would still apply after-the-fact but I want to be 100% sure.

I'll beat you and say that I'm  99% sure that it would fine to do it that way.. 🙂

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I think you're right......

I have the oddest transaction in the works.

I bought an item I want to return.

I emailed the seller but not through ebay wanting to avoid having to open a case, and the seller sent me a payment ($100) which was my initial payment plus $5.

She didn't refund.

She just sent a payment.

I told her I'd refund her payment and to do things the normal way.

In other words............ I'd return the item and she could refund when she got it back and if she wanted to kick something in for return shipping that would be nice but not necessary.

That way she'd be able to recover ebay and paypal fees.

Whenever I suggest that she gets very edgy and almost nasty.

She is intent on losing as much money as she can.

The item really has very little value because condition is so poor, and it amounts to shipping garbage back and forth with less value than the cost of shipping.

Go Figure.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Oops, that was supposed to 99% lol

Whenever I suggest that she gets very edgy and almost nasty.

She is intent on losing as much money as she can.

Well then I would probably leave it as is now. It sounds like she doesn't want the junky item back. I  really don't know the details but maybe she wants to be the victim.:O

Just a guess...I could be way off!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thing is..........she really wants is back and keeps offering to send another $20 for return shipping.

I think I'll just let her.

At this point, It's much easier.

I really think that she's so worried about NFB (which I never leave) and having a case opened that she's stopped thinking rationally.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply