Accepting Returns

I recently posted a questions regarding how to do a refund and get my FVF back. The situation is this- the buyer contacted me regarding a bracelet she recently purchased. She said that it is beautiful but that it was too small for her friend that she had purchased it for and wondered if I would do a refund. My listing does state no refunds (although I understand if there is an INAD that eBay would force me to do it and that I would have to refund the full price and the postage).

However I did tell the buyer that I would refund the full purchase price less the shipping cost & upon receipt of the item back would process a refund for her. She was very pleased about this and even said she would certainly consider buying from me in the future.

Both the answers I received on eBay suggested that if I went through eBay to do the refund that I would have to refund the postage. I am somewhat confused by this as it is not a case of an item not being as described but that they did not know the measurement of the wrist they were trying to fit (the length of the bracelet is stated in the listing). Also the one answer suggested that I would get a defect if I went through eBay & suggested I just deal directly with the buyer.

Would I get a defect for doing a refund in this case? I really feel that I am accommodating the buyer in this case but thought it would be the prudent thing to do.  Would I be forced to refund the postage? This could certainly become expensive if buyers changed their mind about items they purchased and want to return.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Accepting Returns

73rhc
Community Member
I've had a similar situation. A call to eBay resolved this. Mention that you and the buyer have come to an agreement. They will look into the communication between the two of you. And you will be able to refund the agreed amount. In my case I received no defect.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Accepting Returns

The buyer can open a return request case for 'item doesn't fit' reasons and you wouldn't receive a defect for that. Once the item has been received back and you are told to refund, I'm not sure if you will have the option of refunding the full amount or a partial amount. In a recent buyer return, I had a choice of refunding less the original shipping but I also stated in my listings that original shipping might not be refunded so I'm not sure if that is why I was given a choice. I think, but I'm not positive that if you had free shipping in the listing, that you won't be given the option of a partial refund.

You could also just do the return without going through the ebay return process. If you refund them through Paypal after the return, you will not get a defect for a partial refund.  To recover fvf for a partial refund, you would have to phone ebay.  They don't always give a fvf credit for partial refunds but they might do so in this case.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply