Active Content - I Need Help!

So I ran the eBay Active Content Scanner on my listings on this ID.  Only one item was identified and it was the Yellow Category.

Targets Only  If the "Repair Links" option has been selected in settings, then items with only link issues will turn yellow. Links that are missing target="_blank", or that supply a different target, will trigger the flag and will be corrected in the revision file.

Immediately I was lost.  Anyway, I clicked on that one item and, as instructed, selected Examine > Remove Active Content > Scan .  The revised item was available in a Pop-Up View (it looked the same as the original) and I selected the Revise button.  I was then taken to my listing which was already in the Revise mode and I submitted the revisions.  When I ran the scan again, the same item was highlighted.  I'm not aware of what was supposed to have been removed but which the tool did not in fact remove, so I don't know how to be careful with future listings.  But since it was only one listing that might be removed by eBay, I wasn't too concerned.

BUT, when I ran the scanner on my media account, 183 yellow targets showed up.  When I opened the Bulk Active Content Editor for eBay Listings BETA , I couldn't even understand the instructions:

Does anyone have expertise with this tool or any advice you can offer me.  I dread the thought of revising each one individually, particularly when I can't recognize the active content.

Active Content.jpg

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

And what do you get if you only have Remove Active Content marked?

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

eBay won't be removing listings with active content, they will just be removing the active content.  But in your case, I don't think it is a true active content issue. eBay has changed the way they want links set up.  In that listing do you have a link in the description area....perhaps a see my other items link?

I need to fix some of those too...there is more informative about doing that on the .com boards. , I'll let you know what I find.  But there is no need to worry about it...if it is a link problem, it may not work right now but there is a way to fix it.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

And what do you get if you only have Remove Active Content marked?

I didn't proceed with the bulk editor just yet because there appeared to be so many options to consider.  For example, should I opt to retain original listings and I didn't understand the parameters referred to.  I wanted to get a better understanding so that I don't screw up any of my Listings ....... especially the covfefe ones.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

I checked out my listings too and the 'fixer' and it is confusing. The other day I thought I saw how to fix the 'targets' manually but haven't been able to find that post. I'll look again tomorrow.

I'm going to post a link to a .com thread here that explains the target problem better than I can. Shipscript who wrote the post  is the one who set up the active content tools and she really knows her stuff.  You might want to read the whole thread but post 8 and 9 are about your situation in particular.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Compliance-Active-Content-removal-Setting-CSS/m-p/27060473#M976...

She has quite a few different posts about the active content issue but I've always put off reading them because I get confused lol.  I guess I should try to read them now.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I checked out my listings too and the 'fixer' and it is confusing. The other day I thought I saw how to fix the 'targets' manually but haven't been able to find that post. I'll look again tomorrow.

Documented here

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Fixing the links is the only thing I figured out. My link was one that said "click here to see my other items" and since I list using TL I just looked in my description in HTML for my store name and then added "target="_blank" right after my store name, using copy and paste from "notes". I have just been adding this each day as I list items since I couldn't figure out the bulk method. I've been doing it for over a month now. If that isn't added then nothing will happen to your item, just the link won't work, that is what shipscript told me anyway. As far as all the active content, luckily I didn't have any because, yes, it is very confusing.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm going to post a link to a .com thread here that explains the target problem better than I can. Shipscript who wrote the post  is the one who set up the active content tools and she really knows her stuff.  You might want to read the whole thread but post 8 and 9 are about your situation in particular.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Compliance-Active-Content-removal-Setting-CSS/m-p/27060473#M976...

She has quite a few different posts about the active content issue but I've always put off reading them because I get confused lol.  I guess I should try to read them now.

Thanks pj.  I have appointments all day so I'll have a thorough read tonight.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Documented here

Thanks very much.  I'll review this as well.
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Fixing the links is the only thing I figured out. My link was one that said "click here to see my other items" and since I list using TL I just looked in my description in HTML for my store name and then added "target="_blank" right after my store name, using copy and paste from "notes". I have just been adding this each day as I list items since I couldn't figure out the bulk method. I've been doing it for over a month now. If that isn't added then nothing will happen to your item, just the link won't work, that is what shipscript told me anyway. As far as all the active content, luckily I didn't have any because, yes, it is very confusing.

Well, for now, I can live with the link not working and when I have time, I guess I'll fix each one individually.  Thanks.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Ty vintage and hlmacdon 🙂

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I read through that thread and she certainly does explain things well.  In short, the instruction I followed was:

"When you run the scan and then click the EXAMINE button on each, the Sandbox tool will open. That tool will generate repaired code that you can paste back into your item description when you revise your item.

So, when the Sandbox tool opens, scroll down and click the "Filtered" tab. When it opens you will see your repaired listing code displayed in that window.  At the bottom left of that tab you will see a button to open your item for revision.

When you click that button and eBay's listing form opens, select the HTML tab or HTML view on eBay's editor and delete all the code there. Then copy the code from the Sandbox tool and paste it into the empty eBay HTML box. When you switch back to eBay's standard editing tab, you will see the corrected code and can clean up any left over credits. Then save your listing revision."

I did this for one of my affected listings and I believe it has been corrected; however, this is a tedious task if a person has a lot of listings.  I did have another look at the Bulk Editor (the screenshot is in my original post).  I left the two checkmarks as is and clicked on Start New Scan.  From what I saw at that point, I didn't even attempt to proceed.  The instructions were lengthy and complex and there were too many warnings for my liking.

So before I start manually fixing each one of my 283 affected listings (revised number), I have one more question to ask of vintagenorth, who I hope is still following this thread.

My problem seems to be the same as yours -- an incorrect link.  You've indicated that you searched for your store name in the HTML code and added  "target="_blank" after the store name.  I think this would be a quicker resolution than the process I've described above.  I don't use Turbo Lister, so in the individual eBay revision page, I clicked on HTML in the description (HTML is something I've never used) and looked for my store name.  Well, there are several hundred lines of code and I couldn't find anything resembling my store name.  I have the link at the bottom of my listing so that's the area I concentrated on but I couldn't find even one word of my store name.  Is there some trick to this or is it simply easier in TL?

A couple of months ago, I thought long and hard about continuing to sell and decided I would.  I purchased a lot of new stock and opened a store at the end of April.  I spent the whole month of May editing each and every one of my listings -- adding a block of text at the end of the description giving some details about myself and my items and adding a link to my store.  I have to admit that I regret it now.  To spend another month (a summer month yet) again revising each item has thrown me into a state of depression.  I would have been better off without the store and the link which is now causing all these problems and just selling what I had. I was working on the assumption that adding a link to my store was acceptable but adding one to your personal website was not.  I didn't know that it would be considered active content.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Vintage, would you please have a look at the long post I just added.  There's a question in it for you.

In reading the thread that pj provided, shipscript indicated that clicking on an incorrect link would cause your whole description to disappear.  It's because, without the proper coding, the store page will not open in a new window and will attempt to open within the description, making everything disappear.

I tried it and that's what happens -- not with every listing, but with many, probably because the active content is only beginning to be removed.  I thought if the link simply didn't work, I could live with that for a while, but I can't live with blank descriptions.

What a mess!

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Hi jt, it may be tomorrow when I get a chance to look at mine and try to get back to you. I don't know your store name so will look at one of my items and see if I can figure out for you. Or maybe you could PM me an item number to look at? Anyway I will get back to you by tomorrow. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Did you have a look at the link hlmacdon posted?  The 'Using Links' section there might help you.

When looking for the current link it probably starts with something like....   <a href="www.

or it might use http instead of href

I can't find links in your listings so if you don't mind sending me a listing number with a link ( here or in a message) I would like to have a look at it.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

Hi jt, I have sent you a message. Actually, I replied to one of your messages.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Almost all my listings turn red when I check them using the tool, it seems that the Auctiva scroll is the main issue. I thought they had replaced their old version with a new one, is that not the case?

Also, I have seen some sellers say that ebay will remove it themselves, if that is the case, why do we really need to do anything?

Colour me confused as well.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Almost all my listings turn red when I check them using the tool, it seems that the Auctiva scroll is the main issue. I thought they had replaced their old version with a new one, is that not the case?

Also, I have seen some sellers say that ebay will remove it themselves, if that is the case, why do we really need to do anything?

Colour me confused as well.

I don't know what the Auctiva scroll is (many sellers here will); however, it's my understanding that,yes, eBay will remove all Active Content -- which may or may not affect the appearance or functionality of your listing.  But, for instance, if you have included a link to your store and have not corrected it will appear on the listing when first viewed, but if a buyer clicks on it, it will try to open within the same frame as your description, so everything in it will disappear.  That's because the new coding that eBay wants you to add to your link will allow it to open in a new window.

"target="_blank" should be added after your store name in HTML.

Your problem is related to Auctiva scroll, about which I have no knowledge, but I'm sure someone else on this Board can help you.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Auctiva had said that they would fix issues with their own active items.  When I look at one of your listings underneath the auctiva scroll it says that it 'active content free' so it looks like that has been fixed??  I would ask auctiva about it since you are still getting the active content notice.  

You have a second link advertising the scrolling gallery and a link advertising an auctiva counter so you might want to ask auctiva about these too,  

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for checking, forgive me for taking so long to get back to you.

I just received an email from ebay telling me to take the active content out of 47 listings.

Now the issue according to ebay is my items contain JavaScript, What is it? Also, any idea how it got there?

Message 20 of 31
latest reply