Adding address a second time on packages

I print all of my postage from Paypal and attach the shipping label to the package. I then write the address again on the package beside the shipping label. Is this extra step necessary? Can I just ship with the shipping label that I printed?  I always add this extra step for clarity but wonder if it's necessary.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Not necessary at all. Might even be confusing if somehow had a discrepancy between the two.

The purpose of PayPal labels is to make shipping fast and easy so no need for a manual written address. Just make sure the PayPal label is firmly attached. Use labelopes or packing tape over the label to keep it clear.

If you include a packing slip inside, it will be a backup address if the package lost its label or became unreadable. Now does the post office still open packages to find an address inside. Supposedly so based on this old news article.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2011/09/29/ever_lose_anything_in_the_mail_heres_where_it_all_ends_up...

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Not only is it not necessary to hand-write the address if you have a label, it may be confusing (at least for a human handling it, I don't know about the automated machines).  

Those labels are meant to speed up the processing, and writing all over next to the label may just defeat the purpose.  This is especially true of tracked services (Tracked Packet, Expedited, Xpresspost), where the bar code may be read automatically. 

I've never, ever, had a labelled item go astray in several years of selling (mainly to the U.S. and overseas).  I think I'd say that's pretty reliable. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
latest reply