shipping cost

Hi  Fairly new, been awhile since i sold anything, but I can't seem to remove the shipping cost from my listing. I don't want a cost posted as I don't know what it is

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

shipping cost

Pretty sure you need to state  price or free shipping, how can a buyer bid not knowing exact total?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

shipping cost

If you expect to sell something you will need to figure out the shipping. This is something you do BEFORE you list a item not afterwards.

If you think it's so unlikely you'll actually sell something then why bother listing it in the first place?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

shipping cost

@2014sportsterguy wrote:

Pretty sure you need to state  price or free shipping, how can a buyer bid not knowing exact total?

By making an assumption that "the shipping couldn't be more than $xx" only to be shocked when they hear it's 3 or 4 times (at least) what they expect.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

shipping cost

But how do you do that,not knowing where the item is going?

I remember selling a few years ago and when i knew the location i went to the PO and got the exact ammount

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

shipping cost

@johnd2346 wrote:

But how do you do that,not knowing where the item is going?

I remember selling a few years ago and when i knew the location i went to the PO and got the exact ammount

You have two choices.......

Use the shipping calculator to have the amount automatically calculated for buyers based on their location or set a flat rate based on the average cost to the most common destinations.

In most situations there are only 2 or 3 different rates that will cover the entire world, pick one or pick an average and use that as your flat rate.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

shipping cost

mcrlmn
Community Member

I've started passing on items from sellers that don't show shipping costs, and also those that don't provide combined shipping info in their listing(s).

For me, messaging about shipping has become tedious.... Pass.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

shipping cost

For Flat Rate shipping.

First go to the canadapost.ca website and research costs for your (packaged!) items.

You will need the (packaged!) weight and dimensions. So a digital scale and a tape measure.

USE METRIC.

Canada Post went metric in 1974. Everything else is inaccurate. Rates change with a millimetre or a gram difference.

Chose Canada.

Choose service. (LetterMail, Regular Parcel)

Enter Flat Rate based on current rates for that service. Be careful, the rates change this month.

Choose International.

Choose Custom Destination

Choose USA

Choose service. Enter how much you want to charge. BTW, this doesn't actually have to be the same as what the PO charges you. It can be higher . Or lower.

Choose Custom Destination again.

Do NOT choose USA or N and S America

Choose any other countries you are willing to ship to.

Choose service. Enter your charge.

Now here you can decide to give the same rate to everyone except Canada and the USA or you can choose the European countries at one rate, then again choose Custom Destination and enter a different rate for say, Australia and Japan.

Or use Calculated and let the program automatically tell your customer what the rate will be. You can have it add a Handling charge to cover the cost of packaging and insurance. Bubblewrap ain't free.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply