Again, eBay demonstrates their contempt for us.

eBay's boundless greed manifests itself again, blatantly showing a lack of concern for Canadians, and their rights.

eBay, the fine folks behind the gouging of Canadians on a scale only rivaled by our own government, via the GSP and other fundamentally  rapey policys, now cannot seem to abide with their former partners at PayPal. eBay is requiring sellers to provide eBay their credit card, and banking information, and will no longer deposit the proceeds from sellers sales into the sellers PayPal accounts.

If sellers want to be paid, then we have to allow eBay access to our banking/credit information. Because? Greed.

Most of the regulars here can already visualize the usual shills typing numerous  responses, like they reflexively, and predictably do regarding the smallest criticisms of their Divine Digital Deity, but I don't think they are fooling anybody these days. Their hearts just are not in it any more. Not even enough new comers here for them to successfully ply their trade.

Anyway, it goes without saying that eBay's Terms of Use seeks to reassure us, by saying that they take our privacy very seriously (Like FriendFace, or Giggle, or Twotter and all the others) and of course they would never ever betray our trust by providing it to anyone else....blah blah... except as required by law.. blah blah or to target sorry, tailor advertising so as to improve our eBay experience.. blah blah, or, to their partner companies, blah or Sister in Laws cat....

So, I thought I'd allow some benefit of doubt, and see if eBay was going to be transparent, and outline how they intend to protect our sensitive data.

I started by trying to find out what they already have. They say all you have to do is request it. I did. So far, nothing. They did however at least send an email, informing me they received the request.

Then, I came across this: 

We have appointed data protection officers in several countries to oversee the protection of your personal data. If you have any questions about this User Privacy Notice or about data protection at eBay in general, you can contact the data protection officer responsible for your country at any time. You will find the contact details of your data protection officer in the list of our data protection officers in our eBay Privacy Centre.

Check out the list. Not a single mention for a Data Protection Officer's contact info for Canada. Ireland, Poland, even Luxembourg, they are provided with Data Protection Officers, but not Canada. The above paragraph should read:

If you have any questions about this User Privacy Notice or about data protection at eBay in general, you can contact the data protection officer responsible for your country at any time. You will find the contact details of your data protection officer in the list of our data protection officers in our eBay Privacy Centre.

Unless you are in Canada. We really just cant be bothered to treat you like a county that matters. Get it clear, you don't.  Just shut up and give us what we want, if you wish to see a dime of any money we have of yours.

Protect your data?  Of course we will. Trust us. Besides, you'll never know for sure what we send where, and we have teams of lawyers on retainer ready to vexatiously litigate with you until the end of time. 

These Canadians are getting uppity. Who do they think they are? Luxembourg??

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

So- you don't like the new Managed Payments service?

You are not alone.

But the question of privacy on financial information is actually less than you willingly gave to Paypal.

EBay only wants one Canadian bank account and it must be a chequing account.

Paypal has your credit card info and any number of bank accounts recorded.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Wow. Faster than a fly on a decedent. Predicatively and reflexively don't even begin to cover it. How do you know what I did or didn't provide PayPal? Or do you deign to speak for them as well? Do they pay as much or less than your regular gig?

I trust PayPal. I can to an extent audit what safeguards are in place, they don't refer me to non existent entitys  when I seek specific info on their site.

Paypal has your credit card info and any number of bank accounts recorded."

You think so? I don't have a chequing account. I have no need for one. PayPal has a pre paid credit card. Because I take steps to isolate my financial information, and because of that I never need to worry about whether my financial info was leaked due to slovenly security practices. And PayPal never had the nerve to ask me for my SIN number.

I pay extra for the safety of PayPal. The fees have proven to provide some value in the past. At least, they have provided a service that does not bleed me dry, or sell my passport photo, or drivers license or credit history to some insurance company, or spam email marketing company.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You echo my feelings perfectly.

Just because Paypal has financial information I decided to give them, doesn't mean it's ok to hand it over to Ebay too.  Every time you do that you add one more potential hazard to your online risk.  Like you, I choose to keep mine in one place which I have grown to trust.  I have zero issue with their fees.  Personally, their customer service for the very few times over the years I have had a question has been exemplary (unlike Ebay).   Paypal has never asked for photo ID, passports, SINs, etc. voluntary or not.  You cannot compare what Ebay is asking of sellers to Paypal, it's nowhere near the same thing.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply