Annoying Sellers Wanting Feedback

I just may start looking for other online 'stores' as many ebay sellers are getting ridiculous with sending annoying emails wanting feedback.  Isn't this a voluntary program?  Why all this 'neediness' for self aggrandizement.  If a seller doesn't give me feedback...I don't care.... but sellers seem to think volume feedback is a 'good thing'  It isn't.  You annoy people with these emails.  It is time consuming and just not worth it to me anymore.  Click here...click there.....say in two words or less how the sale went.  Please....  It is RUDE to send these emails and annoying.  You send me one of these emails...oh...I'll give you feedback and you won't like it.  So stop sending buyers fluffy bull emails about how the sale went for you, I haven't heard from you...(was it good for me as it was for you? ughhh) all for ticky points.  If people like your products....and you do a good job....people will respond 'naturally'...but these emails looking for your ticky point because you don't get them in real life is sad...pathetically sad.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Experienced sellers warn newbies not to do this for exactly the reasons you outline.

You might save other buyers the same annoyance, and make the needy seller smarten up, by returning the Message with a polite "Your demand for feedback annoyed me. If you really really want my feedback, I could leave some. Are you sure about wanting it?"

I sympathize with the new sellers since I opened an new account which has a grand total of one FB in nearly a year, although there have been several successful transactions.  Oh well.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There was once a buyer that said they would only leave a feedback for me ...   the seller ...  if I left the feedback first..... OK with me..... No feedback was left for this buyer

For me it is .... If the buyer leaves a feedback for me... they get a feedback.

For me it is important to know the buyer's view of the transaction.... before I leave a feedback.... Buyer can leave a negative, whether deserved by the seller or not....

It was many years ago that I tried  the option...  Seller leaves feedback first.......  Then came a buyer with a feedback... positive... but not polite.... It hurt me.....   That was when a seller could still leave a negative feedback for a buyer

------------------------------------------

If a seller keeps asking for a feedback... that seller may get a feedback .. a negative, deserved or not.....   not a good learning experience.

Sellers can never leave a negative feedback ... for a buyer....  or ... even a positive feedback  with a negative comment for a buyer.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@5dorbust wrote:

I just may start looking for other online 'stores' as many ebay sellers are getting ridiculous with sending annoying emails wanting feedback.  Isn't this a voluntary program?  Why all this 'neediness' for self aggrandizement.  If a seller doesn't give me feedback...I don't care.... but sellers seem to think volume feedback is a 'good thing'  It isn't.  You annoy people with these emails.  It is time consuming and just not worth it to me anymore.  Click here...click there.....say in two words or less how the sale went.  Please....  It is RUDE to send these emails and annoying.  You send me one of these emails...oh...I'll give you feedback and you won't like it.  So stop sending buyers fluffy bull emails about how the sale went for you, I haven't heard from you...(was it good for me as it was for you? ughhh) all for ticky points.  If people like your products....and you do a good job....people will respond 'naturally'...but these emails looking for your ticky point because you don't get them in real life is sad...pathetically sad.

If it really bothers you then give these sellers what they want......

"Here is the feedback you harassed me for" and make sure it's a neg!

They may learn a lesson (or maybe not).

And I fully agree, it is pathetic that some sellers seem more interested in feedback than making money or having happy customers.

To be fair, I would make an exception for newbie sellers who have the false impression that feedback matters.

Also, don't ding a seller if the feedback reminder is one that is sent out by eBay (they do send these out when it's close to 30 days and feedback has not been left).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@5dorbust wrote:

I see that you are also a casual seller. Did you know that if your buyer does not leave you feedback that eBay will automatically send your buyer a feedback reminder after 30 days?

Here is a screenshot of the account setting page on eBay.ca Canada site where this is documented (also the same on eBay.com USA site  - I just checked - I do not know about other eBay sites) .

eBay Communications Feedback reminder.jpg

I understand your frustration with getting these reminder emails. But if you purchase on Amazon they also send out reminder feedback or ratings to buyers. And many other sites where I have bought online have this automatic purchase reminder email to leave feedback or rate the purchase experience. I could possibly turn it off on those sites but i never did since it does not bother me.

Some sellers use third party tools (Auctiva, inkFrog, and others) to list their items and these tools may have options for customized feedback reminders. So a buyer might get two reminders, one from eBay and one from the third party tool.

I would suggest not getting so upset about this. Life is too short to be annoyed about such a little thing. I would suggest just leaving a quick feedback like "OK". When I was selling I would sometimes receive feedback with just "OK" or even just a period "." or a asterisk "*". Some buyers probably hated the reminders but knew the sellers were not at fault and used this to stop the reminders.

tyler@ebay 

Is the above setting still sending out reminder emails to buyers who did not leave feedback?

Is there any way to turn it off by the seller?

Is it possible for the buyer to turn off such communications on their account settings?

Do buyers get reminders feedback emails for all outstanding feedback over 30 days not sent from all sellers? (see below for my vague recollection of this happening years ago.)

As I recall when I bought things on another eBay ID, if I did not leave seller feedback unless I got it first so I would get a reminder email with any outstanding feedback. The eBay reminder email would send out the first one with no feedback after 30 days and if another feedback was due soon after (even from different sellers), eBay would send a reminder email for the all outstanding feedback over 30 days from all sellers and so on. So a buyer who does not leave seller feedback could be annoyed multiple times from multiple purchases.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi @richardcm!

The automated feedback reminder emails are still sent after about a month if feedback has not yet  been left. We send only one reminder per transaction. My understanding is that the 'lasso' type effect of throwing in all the item numbers that haven't yet received feedback is no longer done (though I couldn't find confirmation nor denial of that, just basing that off my own experiences). 

There is not a way for a seller to deactivate the single reminder email we send. 

Thanks for the question. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Their usually just bots that are asking for feedback. I could show you a couple websites where sellers just sign up, pay monthly, and it automatically sends the messages asking for feedback after purchases.

China sellers use them the most because their expensive and they got the money to throw away on that type of thing.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You'd think that if a seller has enough transactions that FB is a chore, they would also have enough transactions not to need FB.

I suspect  if a company is signed up for a "feedback noodge service"  it was done by some low to medium level employee, who added it to his list of "accomplishments" for his performance review.  And the boss didn't realize it was useless to counter-productive.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply