Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

For $200 or more value going to 1 person, we have to fill out the form 7523 is that correct?

is there a sample on how to fill that form out, I am confused by what HTSUS heading no. or PL no. is

also, is there a duty fee for form 7523 that I have to pay?

thanks

Message 141 of 261
latest reply

From Montreal to USPS in NY

Daily Delivery

1$ for First class mail packages

2$ Flat rate shipping boxes

If you need help PM me.  

Message 142 of 261
latest reply

I mail in Detroit. I take the items over non-packaged. I use there flat rate boxes for shipping. One price for anywhere in the U.S.A. Up to 70 pounds. If it fits they ship it. They come with tracking and insurance.Boxes are free. I fill up with gas that covers my toll. I use a U.S. return address. They have media rate for books and records very reasonable. Delivery within 2 to 3 days for flat rate.

Message 143 of 261
latest reply

@e_knny wrote:

By any chance, is there a service like this in Edmonton?

I just heard that dyk post has now expanded to Edmonton.

I would contact them on the details.

Message 144 of 261
latest reply

are you allowed to cross United States border customs by delivering packages on

behalf of others? if so, how do you proceed with that, thanks

Message 145 of 261
latest reply

I am in Victoria and am thinking of taking the ferry over to Port Angeles for delivering some records to Asia this weekend. I understand I have to go over as a commercial exporter? And Fill out the 7533 form (which I have to say I don't know what I am supposed to fill out and where...). Any tips? Also would like to print out US Postage via ebay / paypal but all that comes up is Canada post and UPS. USPS does not seem to be accepting paypal (error message) so I am a little stymied.

Any help? Thoughts? 

Message 146 of 261
latest reply

@pop-art wrote:

I am in Victoria and am thinking of taking the ferry over to Port Angeles for delivering some records to Asia this weekend. I understand I have to go over as a commercial exporter? And Fill out the 7533 form (which I have to say I don't know what I am supposed to fill out and where...). Any tips? Also would like to print out US Postage via ebay / paypal but all that comes up is Canada post and UPS. USPS does not seem to be accepting paypal (error message) so I am a little stymied.

Any help? Thoughts? 

For the postage part, you should sign up for the FREE Stamps.com account. Google for the link and careful where you click or you'll end up paying for a subscription account.

In regards to the paperwork, there is probably some additional information earlier in this thread. I haven't personally done the crossing the border thing. When "I rolled my own" I shipped my packages in bulk via UPS to a mail drop across the border who handed off to USPS. In that situation UPS took care of the customs paperwork.

For me the cost was about the same to make the drive or use an alternate carrier to take them, the bonus was not having to deal with traffic and weather related issues.

Not sure what the cost is to take the ferry, it might be easier to send your packages to bookstotheborder (or whatever they are called) in Vancouver and let them take them across the border. I assume you can get overnight delivery from Victoria to Vancouver so it would only add one day and might not cost too much.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 147 of 261
latest reply

what's your email address?

Message 148 of 261
latest reply

I shipped my packages in bulk via UPS to a mail drop across the border who handed off to USPS. In that situation UPS took care of the customs paperwork.

For me the cost was about the same to make the drive or use an alternate carrier to take them, the bonus was not having to deal with traffic and weather related issues.

One way fare Victoria to Vancouver with a car, and  a car would be necessary both to get to the ferry and for the bulk of the parcels, would be $73 one way. So probably not affordable, not even counting time.

Setting up a UPS account sounds much more feasible. Do you recall how much the mail drop and redirection cost? I would assume you were doing this a few times a week.

Message 149 of 261
latest reply

@swalt41 wrote:

It's not a good idea to give email address on a public board. Plus, the post that you are replying to was made in 2011 so I doubt that the poster is still reading this thread.

If you have specific questions about Nexus, I'm sure that someone here could answer your questions.

Message 150 of 261
latest reply

One way fare Victoria to Vancouver with a car, and  a car would be necessary both to get to the ferry and for the bulk of the parcels, would be $73 one way. So probably not affordable, not even counting time.

What?????

Are you saying that there is actually a downside to living on Vancouver Island?  Smiley LOL

Message 151 of 261
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I shipped my packages in bulk via UPS to a mail drop across the border who handed off to USPS. In that situation UPS took care of the customs paperwork.

Setting up a UPS account sounds much more feasible. Do you recall how much the mail drop and redirection cost? I would assume you were doing this a few times a week.

I paid a UPS Store, I think it was $40/month for them to receive the box, open it up and hand the contents to USPS. My box would usually be delivered to them in the morning and they would hand over to USPS in the afternoon. I was usually only shipping once a week so basically $10/shipment. If your items are small &  light weight you can put a lot of them in a box that might cost $20 - $40 to ship (Toronto to Buffalo).

I usually figured about $1.50 - $2.00 per package to cover the expenses. That's about double what it costs going through ChitChat but It costs me $10 or more to drive to ChitChat, UPS would pick up from my front door.

The bottom line, cheaper than using Canada Post, much faster and for what it's worth the free delivery confirmation from USPS (actually back when I was doing it d/c was not free).

The same thing could be done by shipping to ChitChat in Toronto which is what I would be doing if I didn't live nearby.

I never ran the numbers for heavy and/or bulky items, no doubt the costs would be higher but the postage savings and faster delivery times might still be worth it.

Another thing that made this work for me was that I could make use of Media Mail in the US. This made the comparison in postage costs between CP and USPS even more dramatic. Paying an extra $2 in expenses to save $8 in postage is a no brainer.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 152 of 261
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@swalt41 wrote:

It's not a good idea to give email address on a public board. Plus, the post that you are replying to was made in 2011 so I doubt that the poster is still reading this thread.

If you have specific questions about Nexus, I'm sure that someone here could answer your questions.

Really, I wonder how many times must that be repeated here.

FORGET ABOUT NEXUS!! NEXUS IS NOT FOR YOU!

Please read (from the Nexus Can. govt. website):

Please be aware that the following program violations will result in the loss of your NEXUS membership:

Using a NEXUS lane for non-program related activities, i.e. if you have commercial goods;

Commercial Goods

Commercial goods are defined as goods brought into Canada or the U.S. for sale or for any commercial, industrial, occupational, institutional or other similar use, and include samples, tools and warranty repair parts.

If you have any commercial goods in your possession or baggage or on board the vehicle/recreational boat upon your arrival in Canada or the U.S., you may not use NEXUS in the air, land or marine modes of transportation.

Message 153 of 261
latest reply

Really, I wonder how many times must that be repeated here.

Oh I'm sure that it will have to be repeated again. I doubt that everyone has read every page of this thread and those that have read it probably don't remember everything that has been posted since 2011. I know that I don't.

Message 154 of 261
latest reply

Montreal based sellers can use eCom Express to ship USPS.

Message 155 of 261
latest reply

A new company ship to USPS starts for Toronto users at 

Woodbine/ Steeles areas.

http://stallionexpress.ca/

Fees is very reasonable and they are less busy.

Message 156 of 261
latest reply

@whussup007 wrote:

A new company ship to USPS starts for Toronto users at 

Woodbine/ Steeles areas.

http://stallionexpress.ca/

Fees is very reasonable and they are less busy.

Always good to have options but until they have International (Non-US) services.......Meh!

Message 157 of 261
latest reply

Update on chitchats express. In BC today looking for a new store location.Hope to have chitchats BC open in under 60 days.. beautiful out here. my first visit.

Message 158 of 261
latest reply

Had a great visit with Chitchats over the weekend.     Looking forward to what's ahead

Message 159 of 261
latest reply

"You only need a US bank account is you want to remove the funds from PayPal AND keep them in US Dollars. If you want to open a US bank account the easiest way in a post-911 world is to drive down to Buffalo and open one in person."

Actually, the easiest way is to walk into any TD branch in Canada, and have them refer you to opening a TD account in the USA.

It does NOT require ever going to the USA.

Everything is done through the phone and through the mail.

The whole process takes about one month, and at the end, you have a US account with a specific branch  (mine is in Albany NY which is the closest branch to Buffalo NY).

The best part is your TD accounts are linked online,  you can transfer funds from your USA account into your TD account in Canada (and even keep it in US funds if you have a US funds account in Canada).

The transfers are done by phone,  they are actually wire transfers at no cost to you  (fees refunded the next day).

Message 160 of 261
latest reply