Are automatic returns now forced?

Today eBay approved the return of an item "automatically" stating this is as per eBay policy.  I checked my site preferences to see if anything had changed.  As always, I have selected the option to handle returns manually.  I am assuming that automatic returns also mean they will refund the original shipping cost too. 

Under the "return policy" in the listing it says that the buyer pays for the return shipping.

Are we now forced to use automatic returns or is this a fluke?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What kind of return?

If it's a remorse return where the buyer pays return shipping then yes they are auto-approved.

For these returns eBay got tired of sellers who offered returns in their listings but then tried to add qualifiers when a buyer wanted to send something back.

Generally speaking original shipping is always refunded.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

What kind of return?

If it's a remorse return where the buyer pays return shipping then yes they are auto-approved.

For these returns eBay got tired of sellers who offered returns in their listings but then tried to add qualifiers when a buyer wanted to send something back.

Generally speaking original shipping is always refunded.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Thanks Recped.

It was buyer's remorse so that explains it.  I didn't know that eBay was doing that now.  It's the first time I have run into it.  The item had free shipping so that part isn't a concern for this order.

I generally do not refund the original shipping cost when the buyer changes his/her mind.  If it is defective or if I have made an error then I always give a full refund.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

From what I understand.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

In cases of Buyer Remorse, the buyer pays to return the purchase.

The seller does not refund until she has the purchase back.

If the reason in Not As Described, the seller pays to return the purchase.

We can now send USPS return shipping labels from Canada to the USA using Shippo to send a pdf to the American buyer.

If the return label is not used, the seller does not refund.

The seller only refunds when the purchase is back in her hands.

If the seller refuses refunds, eBay may still force a refund but will not insist on the return.

International Returns Accepted includes the USA.

Domestic Returns Accepted only includes Canada.

If the buyer uses a freight forwarder, the Money Back Guarantee ends at the doorstep of the forwarder. This includes the Global Shipping Program.

If the seller loses a Dispute, eBay (and Paypal) may refund the buyer, then come after the seller for their money.

The seller who refuses to refund when she loses a Dispute, gets a Defect.

EBay is not your friend , eBay is your landlord.

tyler@ebay  and anyone else.

Anything I've missed?

Rules not opinions, please.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

If the buyer uses a freight forwarder, the Money Back Guarantee ends at the doorstep of the forwarder. This includes the Global Shipping Program.

Only partially true and dependent on the specifics. generally speaking with forwarded packages buyers lose INR rights and damage in transit claims. SNAD claims may still be an option for buyers.

For GSP shipments, sellers are immune to INR (presuming they get it to KY) and also for damage in transit BUT they have no immunity from SNAD.

The reasons are obvious at least to me although the few times this discussion on the US boards no one there seems to be willing to see the seller abuse that could be possible if buyers were completely unable to utilize the MBG.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

As recped said, buyers remorse returns are automatic now and have been for a while.  Since the original shipping was free you will have to refund the full amount.  If there had been a shipping charge, you would still have the option of not refunding the original shipping paid.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

The MBG does NOT end  at the gsp warehouse.  In some cases the buyer may be refunded by the gsp instead of the seller but the mbg can still be used by the buyer.  

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946!

Hi @westernstargifts - you got great info from @recped about why this is happening (remorse reason within your return policy meaning the buyer would pay for return shipping). 

Also want to clarify a few things about auto-acceptance (text wall incoming!):

Auto accept will occur when an eBay return label is available based on the item's weight, dimensions and the members location.

Returns meeting the following conditions will be auto accepted immediately following the buyer opening a request:

• The seller offers free returns
  • The return was opened inside the sellers return policy
  • Buyer paid shipping on remorse returns (set at the time of listing)

Also, Recped & @pjcdn2005  are correct when it comes to the GSP center and MBG claims. 

I hope that helps clarify!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I think it is worth mentioning that on Buyer Returns, the default for accepting Returns is BUYER PAYS.

I believe this has something to do with the US status of TopRatedSellerPlus which most Canadians who cannot use cheap USPS tracking would not be able to qualify for.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946!

Hi @westernstargifts - you got great info from @recped about why this is happening (remorse reason within your return policy meaning the buyer would pay for return shipping). 

Also want to clarify a few things about auto-acceptance (text wall incoming!):

Auto accept will occur when an eBay return label is available based on the item's weight, dimensions and the members location.

tyler@ebay 

Sorry, just need to clarify something .....For the above,  you are just referring to non buyers remorse returns right?   Buyers remorse returns are accepted automatically if one of the criteria that you stated below is valid but not as described returns are automatically accepted only if a label can be printed? (which can't be done if seller is in Canada)  Does that sound right?

Returns meeting the following conditions will be auto accepted immediately following the buyer opening a request:

• The seller offers free returns
  • The return was opened inside the sellers return policy
  • Buyer paid shipping on remorse returns (set at the time of listing)

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Hi @pjcdn2005 - no, all that info was specifically for Remorse returns, but there is some overlap between remorse and not as described.

For any auto-accept to be enabled, an eBay issued return label must be available based on the item's weight, dimensions and location.

For Not as Described returns (return reasons of Damaged or Missing Parts and Pieces), auto accept would happen under the following conditions, only if the seller does not respond to the request within the 3 business day time frame we allow prior to escalation:

• The return request is outside of a seller's stated return policy, but within the MBG time frame
  • The seller requires an RMA (in this case the return is accepted, but the seller has 3 business days to provide the RMA and/or an alternate shipping label)

If a member fails to respond to a NAD return request after the 3 business days and either of those conditions are met we would auto-accept the return.

There are more specific caveats to the above, but most of them get very situation specific (for instance, if we have reason to believe a buyer has a history of abusing returns, a GSP or cross border trade situation, etc). 

I hope that helps clarify things, but I realize that it can also be complicated. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Buyers remorse returns are accepted automatically if one of the criteria that you stated below is valid but not as described returns are automatically accepted only if a label can be printed? (which can't be done if seller is in Canada)  Does that sound right?

Okay, I gave a bunch of info above, but then re-read your question, sorry to overinform!

Cross-border labels (US back to Canada) aren't supported by eBay labels at the moment, so you are correct that NAD returns would not be automatically accepted for members who shipped from CA to the US, even if all the other criteria were met.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

The seller offers free returns
The return was opened inside the sellers return policy
Buyer paid shipping on remorse returns (set at the time of listing)

Hi Tyler.  Thanks for responding to my question. 

I don't quite understand how this return was opened.  I do not offer free returns.  Nothing in the notice I received from eBay mentioned who was paying the return shipping and there was no mention of whether or not the MBG was used.  Since you say shipping for remorse returns are paid by the buyers I assume that is the case here.  

If the return was opened inside my return policy, does that not mean that I would have been the one to authorize the return after the buyer contacted me?

Sorry for the confusion but I haven't run into this before.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Hi @westernstargifts - Your listings offer 30 day returns with 'buyer pays return shipping'. If a buyer selected a remorse return reason (wrong size/doesn't fit, don't want it any longer, etc) and the return was within your time frame we would automatically accept the return on your behalf because you wouldn't be responsible for issuing or paying for the label, and  we'd expect you to accept the return anyway (since it's within your return policy).

If the return was opened for a not as described reason (arrived damaged, missing parts, etc) we'd allow 3 business days for you to resolve the situation, after which we may auto-accept and issue a return label if it met the criteria I outlined earlier. 

Let me know if that helps clarify things! Also, if you do reply would you mind tagging me? That way I get the notification that you need help on this and I won't leave you hanging. 🙂

You can tag me by typing '@' and then my handle: tyler@ebay. If you do it right you should see my handle underlined and in blue. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

tyler@ebay  

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @westernstargifts - Your listings offer 30 day returns with 'buyer pays return shipping'. If a buyer selected a remorse return reason (wrong size/doesn't fit, don't want it any longer, etc) and the return was within your time frame we would automatically accept the return on your behalf because you wouldn't be responsible for issuing or paying for the label, and  we'd expect you to accept the return anyway (since it's within your return policy).

That makes sense now.  Thanks.

If the return was opened for a not as described reason (arrived damaged, missing parts, etc) we'd allow 3 business days for you to resolve the situation, after which we may auto-accept and issue a return label if it met the criteria I outlined earlier. 

In an earlier post you said the following:  

"For any auto-accept to be enabled, an eBay issued return label must be available based on the item's weight, dimensions and location."

How does that work for flat rate shipping where I do not provide the item's weight and package dimensions?  I do understand that we can't print U.S. shipping labels for return shipping to Canada but that this would apply to Canadian returns where shipping was charged.

Let me know if that helps clarify things! Also, if you do reply would you mind tagging me? That way I get the notification that you need help on this and I won't leave you hanging. 🙂

You can tag me by typing '@' and then my handle: tyler@ebay. If you do it right you should see my handle underlined and in blue. Thanks!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Hi @westernstargifts - thanks for the tag!

In a flat rate situation we'd use the same information/service info that was input when the listing was created. 

If the item would need to be sent freight shipping, as an example, we wouldn't auto-accept because an eBay label won't cover something that heavy or large. Most of your items would qualify if they could be sent with Canada Post.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

"For any auto-accept to be enabled, an eBay issued return label must be available based on the item's weight, dimensions and location."

Sorry to bother you again but I'm still not clear on something. 

We've always had to go outside of ebay to print labels so I have always been under the impression that ebay never issues return labels when the seller was in Canada even if the buyer is also in Canada.  Am I wrong about that?   I should have been more specific when asking my question earlier...I couldn't figure out why you were mentioning that a label was a requirement when I didn't think we were ever issued return labels.

Westernstargifts return was automatic...was a label issued in that case...I didn't see one being mentioned?  Unless there was one issued...that would definitely mean that the label is not a criteria for automatic return aproval?? Or am I just confused? 🙂  

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@westernstargifts 

I do understand that we can't print U.S. shipping labels for return shipping to Canada

We can send USPS shipping labels through Shippo.
We can't do it through eBay or Paypal.

It would be necessary to add the tracking number for the Shippo/USPS shipping label to the Dispute manually.

I did this once, but the buyer did not use the label and did not return the item and did not win the Dispute.

Eventually, I was reimbursed by Shippo.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@westernstargifts 

I do understand that we can't print U.S. shipping labels for return shipping to Canada

We can send USPS shipping labels through Shippo.
We can't do it through eBay or Paypal.

It would be necessary to add the tracking number for the Shippo/USPS shipping label to the Dispute manually.

Thanks.  I didn't know we could do that.  But...I  have rarely shipped to the U.S. with tracking.  Would the return postage with tracking not be prohibitively expensive  for inexpensive items?

Message 20 of 26
latest reply