Auction start and end times

I am listing items for sale for the first time on ebay.On the listings I created it says that the auction will start today (Sunday February 11) and end next Sunday but after I confirm the listing it says the auction will only start tomorrow (Monday February 12) Will the auction still end next Sunday? I've selected for it to start today (Sunday February 11) at 7pm EST.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I do auctions all the time and I have mine set up to start immediately and I usually do 5 day auctions.

Where you have format Auction and the Starting Bid amount etc. look below and you should see two switches. One is "Allow Offers" and next is "Schedule your Listing", if you want it to start immediately make sure this switch is off - on the left side). You will see a blurb there that says "Your listing goes live immediately, unless you select a time and date you wish it to start".

I've done mine the same way for so many years not sure if the default is maybe set to have the Scheduled Listing time on. See which way your switch is set on the listing(s).

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

For some strange reason the start time has been put to today as I had scheduled as opposed to tomorrow the 12th as it was.Thank you!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

No problem, glad it's the right way now for you.

Though I've never used the "schedule" I always mentally try to have schdule the end at times that are somewhat convenient as I find the most questions come in close to the auction end for some reason. Also I know for myself (having bid on many auctions in the past) you don't want them to end during the middle of the night, too early on a Saturday morning lol, or average drive to/home from work - that's the worse, I find many people like to jump in at the end with their bid (I know I do too) so it helps if it's a somewhat good time for everyone (at least that's what I've found). Good luck!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

As  a new seller you may not realize many other problems.

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking. They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

Non-US sellers seem to have Holds of 30 days.

Do you have a Managed Payments account set up ?

Sellers can no longer use Paypal for payment processing.

You need tobsupply eBay with government issued ID and information about the chequing account you want yourpayments to go to.

And why are you bothering with auctions?

Since your listings are not yet showing, I can't see what you plan to sell, but you should know that eBay pushes auctions to new and occasional sellers, because auctions are their brand.

Experienced sellers don't use them because buyers don't like them and they have a much higher Unpaid Item Claims rate.

Over 85% of listings are Fixed Price and many of those opt for Immediate Payment Required.

We also have 30 days to find a cutomer with FP and no concerns about finding a customer in less than a week.

Whatever restrictions are on the number and value of listings you are allowed, you can ask every 30 days for them to be removed or raised.

But until they are, if you have Restrictions of 100 items or $100, you can have one $100 listing or 100 $1.00 listing.

If you sell the $100 listing, you have no more available listings for 30 days.
If you sell 50 of the $1 listings, the remaining 50 roll over to next month, and you only have 50 new listings available.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Complicating things,  your listings (and mine, this isn't a newbie problem) can be held for up to 24 hours before "indexing" and being seen.

So your seven day auction, immediately becomes a six  day auction.

But as @msau4301  says, most of the action will be in the last few hours or even minutes of an auction, so it's not anything to worry about.

Oh- most auctions get only one bid, so I hope you set your opening price where you would be content with that payment.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Are you scheduling them?  I use schedule most of the time, and if the date and time are correct, I have never had a problem.  I list on .com and the times are PST so I have to be sure I take that into account.

If you are not, try scheduling the start, even if it is in 10 minutes.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply