Banknotes from Cuba

I tried listing several banknotes  from Cuba,  on ebay.com and they were blocked because of sanctions by the US against Cuba. 

This was the message that I received from ebay

Listings for stamps, coins or paper money from Cuba are not permitted. eBay’s policy prohibits the sale of most items that originate from Cuba due to sanctions enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). If you list such an item in violation of this policy, we will remove the item and may prohibit you from further use of our services.

Now my question.   I checked and there are lots of Cuba stamps listed by US and other sellers.   I could not find any banknotes listed but I did observe that when these stamps were listed they normally started out in the title     1Cuba stamp set,  etc. etc.    Does putting the number 1 or any other number in front of Cuba trick the bots into not catching the listing.    Another question.   If I list these on ebay.ca and in Canadian dollars of course,  will they still block them?

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Banknotes from Cuba

@readinglady10 

Unfortunately, items from the list of countries below are considered embargoed and not permitted.

• Cuba

• Iran

• North Korea

• Syria

• Crimea region of Ukraine (as defined under applicable sanctions)

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/policies/embargo.html

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/policies/items-ov.html

Several years ago I tried to list a souvenir personalized jewelry box made in Cuba. A very low valued item and without knowing all of these rules. Was pulled to my surprise with the same explanation. After that, I was able to find other similar items listed that had either survived the bots or just haven't been reported, like the stamps and even cigar boxes.  Pretty much the luck of the draw. Those types of infractions made even in honest error are definitely frowned upon by eBay. So, by listing you are taking a chance. Definitely not worth the risk and best off to sell by other means or put away until the rules change. 

-Lotz

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Banknotes from Cuba

Also supposed to be verboten are pre-embargo items but plenty examples also listed by both US and Canadian sellers.

We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Banknotes from Cuba

Certain items are allowed

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/policies/embargo.html

Books about the railway in Cuba sold in the US

Books about the government in Cuba were not allowed.

Certain items can be sold in the US... but a seller must be careful

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Banknotes from Cuba

The best thing to do .... 

Do not list anything from Cuba....  labelled Cuba ..... and ......

Be careful..... be safe.....

Message 5 of 5
latest reply