Being Scammed By Buyer

Hi everyone,

I just tried selling a product. I got an offer from a buyer that gave me their phone number. I accepted the offer and texted them (this is my first time selling on eBay. I'm used to selling on kijiji so I assumed contacting the buyer directly was ok) but they quickly tried to pull the Steam Wallet Card scam on me. Now I'm on the hook trying to sell the item to someone who is clearly trying to scam me and is most likely not going to pay for it. I'm just wonder what I need to do to properly cancel this transaction. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!   

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Being Scammed By Buyer

Maybe try cancelling the transaction with "problem with buyer's address" as the reason to see if it works? And then block the buyer. https://pages.ebay.ca/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Note that because you already have previous communication with this guy, he can still continue to message you (and he probably has your number too since you texted him). The Blocked buyer list only blocks them from making more purchases. For eBay messages just ignore them. For your phone you can consider adding him to your blocked number list. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Being Scammed By Buyer

how where you hoping to mail a jacket for 5.99 in Canada..  you need to do some more research before you try selling things..

If the buyer is being a problem, as said before, cancel the transaction, with a problem, with buyer's address, you may get a negative feedback, but so what, you won't get ripped off.

Then you can plead with customer service to get it removed.. with your evidence..

As a new seller, don't send anything without tracking, that you can't afford to lose..there are buyers who prey on new seller's, who don't use tracking..

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Being Scammed By Buyer

Now I'm on the hook trying to sell the item to someone who is clearly trying to scam me

You accepted the offer.

They can't pay you with gift cards.

They pretty well have to pay you through Paypal. You are not allowed to accept any payment which is not electronically viewable.*

They have four days (96 hours) to do that.

Which they won't.

Then you open an Unpaid Item Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

It's automated. No messing with bored customer reps.

Ignore the Contact Buyer suggestion.

Escalate to a Claim immediately.

While he has 96 hours to pay you, it must be electronically viewable, which again, is Paypal.

No pay? You get your Final Value Fees back, he gets a Strike**, he can't leave Feedback.***

Then you can relist.

Or.

Cancel the sale as "Problem with Address" and move on.

You will get your FVF back but he can leave FB.

If you have more questions, come back and hit Reply to add them.

And this may be useful when learning Shipping.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Best Wishes.

*There is an exception for in-person pay on pickup local sales. Those can be in cash -- or theoretically in Canadian Tire Money or pukka shells. He's not local so that is not available.

**More serious than it sounds, and you should set up your Seller Preferences to automatically Block any bidder who has Strikes.

*** Feedback used to be important. It really isn't anymore unless, like you the seller is a newbie.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply