Blind Ship, How?

A customer asked for Blind Ship, what do I need to do?  Need more details about it!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Blind Ship, How?

Seller #1 lists a book at a low price….  At  $10  or much  less

Seller # 2 lists a book at $30 or much, much  higher…. Most likely on another book selling site

Seller’s # 2’s Book sells……  This process is known as bookjacking…. Seller #2 is a bookjacker.

Seller #2’s book sells at his price…. Seller #2 buys  the book listed by Seller #1.

The book is shipped by Seller # 1  to Seller #2’s buyer.

This could apply to inventory other than books…  However, it is more easily done with books because many sellers do not list books at high prices with lots of information, such as photos,  specifically about the condition of the book.

Do a search for bookjacker on line, and find out why it happens, and how to be careful of buying from a bookjacker….

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Blind Ship, How?

Over thirty years in mail order and I have never heard of this.

What country is the buyer from?

Do NOT ship until you see payment in your Paypal account, and go the account through your own bookmarks, not a link in an email or Message.

Paypal will give you the customer's name and address, as you know. Do NOT ship to any address that is not on the PP invoice.

You may even prefer to buy your shipping label through PP for this one customer, even if that is not your normal practice.

I wonder if he means the notorious "plain brown envelope" that oldtime sellers of naughty products used to promise to use?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

It’s not a common term on eBay as far as I know but I understand it to mean that they want you to ship without any type of packing slip in the package....so there should be no information identifying you as the supplier or info about the price that was paid.   Whoever purchased from you is probably shipping it to a third party and doesn’t want them to know who shipped it or the price paid.

If you are not familiar with a term, it is always best to ask a buyer to Be more specific.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

Well, well, Mr Google is our friend.

Your customer is a reseller.

He is asking that you send the purchase directly to his customer in packaging that does not include anything identifying you as the actual seller.

Well. It's legal.

I guess.

And it could mean that you could raise your prices, since at least one of your customers is able to profitably re-sell your goods.

I would still advise that you demand the final customer's name and address be added to this guy's Paypal account, since shipping to a non-Paypal address can lead to problems.

And keep the address for your next Preferred Customer mailing.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

Shipping to a non PayPal address doesn’t cause a problem.  If a seller ships to the payment address (which can be added on eBay at the time of purchase)  the seller is protected if there is an item not received case filed and there is online delivery confirmation to that payment address.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

@reallynicestamps  @hengel13 

If this is the case (Buyer selling to one of their customers) and I've had this happen in the past, there would be a problem if customs(between 2 countries) is involved. A customs declaration is mandatory for anything with value. You can ask customs to remove any documentation but there are no guarantees they will. It's similar to marking the documents as "Gift" with the dreaded imaginary low value. Definitely not advised. And not including truthful documents when required could delay processing and delivery. 

-Lotz

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

Thank you for all of the suggestions, just got reply from buyer, buyer is selling to someone else, I have been asked to ship to the address on paypal account of my buyer, and no pricing slip and ebay words with the item. the buyer and the buyer of the buyer are both in USA, tax is included with payment.
Should be alright.
Thank you all again!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

Seller #1 lists a book at a low price….  At  $10  or much  less

Seller # 2 lists a book at $30 or much, much  higher…. Most likely on another book selling site

Seller’s # 2’s Book sells……  This process is known as bookjacking…. Seller #2 is a bookjacker.

Seller #2’s book sells at his price…. Seller #2 buys  the book listed by Seller #1.

The book is shipped by Seller # 1  to Seller #2’s buyer.

This could apply to inventory other than books…  However, it is more easily done with books because many sellers do not list books at high prices with lots of information, such as photos,  specifically about the condition of the book.

Do a search for bookjacker on line, and find out why it happens, and how to be careful of buying from a bookjacker….

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

Just visited OP's store..

Inventory listed in a language other than English  at some super good, high prices....

And Seller # 2 bought something from OP....... to ship to his buyer

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

The buyer might also want the item to be shipped to someone special.... perhaps as a birthday gift... or other such  situation

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

Or it could be that the seller realized they ran out of stock so they hurriedly bought from the OP to send to their actual buyer?
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Blind Ship, How?

I did that once.

But I was polite enough to ask the seller if he would have any problem with it. He was fine, and all involved were pleased.
And, although it wasn't part of the plan, I actually made a little money on it, because his price delivered (US to US) was lower than mine (Canada to USA)

Message 12 of 12
latest reply