Business Policies

So I learned something new today. Thought I'd share and see if there was something i could have done differently in hindsight.

I wanted to add a return policy to my listings. I eventually landed in Business policies and create a Return Policy and added it to my listings. Easy Peazy. 

But... then I went to list a few items tonight and suddenly when i get to the shipping segment i can no longer pick Calculated Regular Parcel for Canada and something for US. Instead what I have is a dropdown list of about 50 different profiles. Profiles I didn't create and have no idea what each profile is because the description of them are all almost identical and i don't know exactly what services are in each. It took a little while but i finally figured out they were business policies. I did NOT create shipping business policies only a return policy. So why did i end up with all these shipping policies? 

To 'fix' since i couldn't delete them is i had to open each one, name them better based on services and then reassign many to a master policy. Was there a way i could have gone back to no policies/the way it was?

Pretty frustrated but what's done is done. The truth is these business policies are actually probably going to help me out but it was several hours trying to figure out what happened and clean it up so part warning/part feedback request. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Business Policies

You coulf have opted out of business policies on the following page and everything would have gone back the way it was.  I don't use business policies but some people do really like them so it was probably worth all the work you did for the initial setup.

https://www.ebay.ca/bp/policyoptin

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You coulf have opted out of business policies on the following page and everything would have gone back the way it was.  I don't use business policies but some people do really like them so it was probably worth all the work you did for the initial setup.

https://www.ebay.ca/bp/policyoptin

@pjcdn2005 

@ericsells75 

Business Policies "appear" to no longer work how they used to. NOW when you try to opt out it will remove any created shipping options but keeps the return and payment policies. I have been trying to undo since Friday evening and had zero for luck doing so.

We're not the only one recently having issues with Business Policies

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Selling-on-eBay/Ebay-Reports-Uploads-Drafts-Business-Policies-Not-Worki...

@jdmckstore 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I found out way back that I had a ton of shipping policies set up I had never officially set up.

Three things were (I think always are) automatically defaulted as a main unless you do otherwise, Returns, Shipping and Payments. For me I found out when I wanted to add international shipping for the first time and saw a pile of shipping policies there - apparently every time I had made changes, added something to my shipping when listing or modified it at all, it created a new policy there. There were about 10 or so in my case I had to get rid of.

There should be under Business Polcies section, square boxes you can check off on the left and at top the button "Clean Up Policies" and that will remove the ones checked off. Not sure why they wouldn't call it delete policies but clean up did the trick. For setting up Returns it should have been automatically set up as "No Returns" if that's what you had in the past, but rather than adding a new one, you could have hit the Edit (on left) and it would have allowed you to do it there. It would ask "Do you want to make this change to all existing listings?" - maybe that is the way you did it, not sure.

I haven't added any policies for a couple of years now, but when I just peeked it looks like it's still set up the same way. (Though changes are always happening, hopefully it still works the same)

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Bussiness policies are great once its setup. The initial Setup takes time to dwindle out the many similar policies and move listings around etc (since there will be lots of similar ones that are basiclly the same). It works best for people selling in a similar category where shipping is more a flat rate variable (sports cards, magazines etc) but works just as fine with calcuated but just need more policy options. You just need to set up a policy for each type of box you use and then all the different weight ranges associated with that type of box etc

example a policy for 6x6x6 box, and then weight ranges 0-250grams, 251-500 grams, 501-1kg, etc based on however Canada post works for tiering weights (you can do calcualted or flat rate). Just means you have to select the proper one. The setup time is a bit annoying, but once done its easy to make changes to all listings associated with that policy

I have been using it for 3 or 4 years now, and no issues

Message 5 of 5
latest reply