Buy It Now

HELP!!!!!

I had an item for sale with the option of buy it now, the buyer did buy it now paid for it and everything, after shipping item to here, she emailed me 1st time with this "Hello :smileyhappy: I purchased and paid you for the body shop fuzzy peach perfume oil, I emailed you from my sisters account yesterday and asked if you could do $40 + shipping to Toronto Canada, I logged out of her account and logged into mine. If you can be so kind and let me know if I can have it for $40 or even $50 plus shipping please refund me the difference." today she gave me this email  "did you get my message about the price, I wanted to pay $55 so $10 less but I had to go into work and the listing would only let me buy it now and pay immediately, would you please refund the difference of $10"

Isn't buy it now, you pay what the seller has asked with out asking for a bit of a refund? 

Not sure how to respond to her

Help please

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buy It Now

Do not give her a refund and if she gives you negative feedback then report her for trying to get a refund after the fact, or feedback extortion. EBay will remove any negative feedback she gives you as she is trying to get a refund after buying it now. Ridiculous.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This ^^^^

But bite your tongue and decline as gracefully as possible. This is not the time to try to educate the buyer to the fact they a dork.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

You might also suggest that if they can't afford the item that you would be willing to cancel the transaction.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Cancel the transaction? He has already mailed it to her.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@jg01302 wrote:

Cancel the transaction? He has already mailed it to her.

Whoops, missed that part. Forget the cancel part obviously, my other comment stands, no point in trying to teach the buyer a lesson.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The buyer said they contacted you prior to buying. Did they? 

If you agreed to the discount you should give it, regardless from what account they emailed you from. 

I, myself, having 3 different ebay accounts got mixed up and talked to a person on one account and then purchased on another. It's not an uncommon thing. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes she did but didn't get til after I shipped it and she wanted it for even less than the bid it self, and she bought it anyways with the buy it now and paid and then complained after it being shipped.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Interesting, using a couple different, non-linked accounts.

Do not get involved in a discussion. Discussion always leads to trouble.

Last time i had Someone buy something they should not have, I told them to refuse the parcel and I would refund when it came back. This was after they had done their due diligence, hit the BIN, paid, I shipped, then they emailed saying they had made a mistake.

Customer is not happy:

"return for refund"

Lather, rinse, repeat
Photobucket
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@vanillatwist_1 wrote:

Yes she did but didn't get til after I shipped it and she wanted it for even less than the bid it self, and she bought it anyways with the buy it now and paid and then complained after it being shipped.

i don't really understand what you are saying here. 

my point is, if you agreed to a price, then give the refund. If you didn't agree, then tell them to return if they don't like it. I don't think it really matters how they contacted you. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I totally agree with I don't care on how contacted me but  I didn't agree to a price nor see the email until after she paid and I already shipped the item, and she turned around and did the buy it now then sent another email that is in the original (first )post above.

My opening bid was for $50. and buy it now was set at $65.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I'm not the best letter writer but I would send something like this..

Thank you for your purchase on May 5. Your package was mailed the next day so you should receive it in approximately 5-10 days. I did receive your message asking for a discount but the package was already in the mail and unfortunately, I am unable to offer a discount once a purchase has been made. If you no longer want the item at that price, please do not open the package when you receive it but please write Return to Sender on it and mail it back to me. Once I receive it, will refund you in full.

I just made up the date and length of time for delivery so you will have to change that. If you do refund in full then you will be out the original shipping cost so you will have to decide on how you want to handle that. If the buyer leaves a negative you may (no guarantee) be able to have it removed. It's also possible that the buyer will file an item not as described case and if they then return it back, you would be forced to refund original shipping.

OR

There is also the choice that you refund her the amount that she wanted as a discount or perhaps compromise with her and meet in the middle $7.50 instead of $15. It might end up less expensive for you than refunding her in full.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@vanillatwist_1 wrote:

I totally agree with I don't care on how contacted me but  I didn't agree to a price nor see the email until after she paid and I already shipped the item, and she turned around and did the buy it now then sent another email that is in the original (first )post above.

My opening bid was for $50. and buy it now was set at $65.

ok. I misunderstood. I thought you had responded to the email from the day earlier. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Hello 'vanillatwist',

<<Isn't buy it now, you pay what the seller has asked with out asking for a bit of a refund?>>

Yes, that's how it should work.  But there are all sorts in the world, and however irritating the buyer's

'request', she was at least polite about it.

Therefore, you will want to be equally as polite in your refusal. Smiley Happy

A lot of people believe that discounts can be had for the asking, and I suspect your buyer later felt she

could have had the item for the $50 instead of the $65.  Keep it sweet because she can leave feedback,

and if she left bad feedback claiming the item smelled rancid (untrue, but who's to say) you may have

more trouble getting that removed than if she simply grouses about costs.

And then you might like to add her ID and any other IDs connected with her to your Blocked Bidder list:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

If she genuinely believes she is 'owed' that discount, you don't want her to try to get it some other way.

If, however, you decide to give her the discount just to keep her happy and end it as nicely and quickly

as possible, you might still want to block her IDs so you never worry that she might want to whittle your

prices down in future.

Best of luck  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

As other users have noted, you're protected from negative feedback in this case.

If you think she'll be a repeat customer, give the discount.

If you think she would bid again on the same item after returning this one, and that it would probably not get other bids (therefore selling for $50), then you might as well offer the partial refund rather than paying for the new shipping fees, etc.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply