Buyer Asking Where Package is Two Months After Leaving Positive feedback!

I have a weird one. An item sent lettermail 2 months ago. Buyer left PFB after receiving it within a week of shipping. Now she's messaging me asking if I've shipped her package yet. What??? I tried to clear it up with her but haven't heard anything back. Anyone ever had a claim filed by a buyer after PFB?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

byto253
Community Member

Does their feedback show a lot of buying activity?  Sounds like they have mixed things up.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

That's what i wondered too, but there's only a handful of purchases.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You have no concerns about eBay, she can't Dispute if 30 days have passed since delivery.

I assume you did use tracking?

If you did, you would also win a Paypal Dispute although she has 180 days from Payment to Dispute.

I'd just refer her to the Feedback she left way back when and politely enquire if she might have mistaken you for another seller.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

An item sent lettermail 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

This is exactly the kind of situation I call the buyer if possible. (you won't be able to see it anymore by now I believe so that option is out anyway).

I've had a few where it is someone else they meant to notify instead of me.

I've also had people leave me feedback by mistake before they got the item.

Hopefully she answers.....

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I send via lettermail knowing full well the risks that can occur...

I just had a buyer that has purchased several items from me - all within a short period of time, resulting in multiple shipments. Once the last shipping notification was given, the person filed a INR claim on the first purchase. I just refunded the buyer and blocked him.

The buyer went through and filed INR claims on the rest of the purchases - each sold and shipped separately.

These shipments were going only an hour away, from Hamilton to Niagara Falls and were extremely unlikely to all disappear on different occasions. I refunded all the claims except for the last one - being yesterday.

The real kicker is that he left glowing feedback stating their speedy arrival for all of the items.

I responded to his feedback with the following;

"Nails me for sending w/o tracking on multiple sales/shipments = BLOCKED FOREVER"

That statement caught the eye of another seller who was also victimized by this buyer. He contacted me and stated that he contacted eBay and was able to get the INR case closed in his favour because the stupid buyer had also left positive feedback stating speedy arrival of purchased item 4 days before filing the claim.

I finally called CSR today after the final anticipated INR claim was opened. As expected, the two representatives I spoke to did not really listen carefully to my plight and just blurted typical advice about uploading tracking to solve it all. Once explained (again) that it was cheap items not worthy of insurance of any kind, the best advice I got was to send screen captures as a private message to the buyer of his feedback and to report the buyer using proper channels on the site. This along with a quick retort in the INR claim stating about the screen aptures should help defend the claim in my favour.

At this point the buyer tried to pin me as the crook stating that I am stealing buyers' money by selling items and not shipping them - I guess he thinks that is what top rated sellers do to succeed...

I really don't care about the lost money or inventory. I just wanted to notify eBay of the scammer and to take care of any blemish to my selling account that these INR claims might incur. I hung up the phone and proceeded to do my assigned homework from eBay with an immense feeling of futility looming.

I immediately received a CSR survey in my email asking how they performed in pacifying my concerns.

I will wait until eBay closes the INR cases on my behalf and refunds the buyer from my account before I respond with my true feelings.

I have a hunch that no matter what effort I put into revealing this scam buyer with multiple victims, eBay will side with the buyer.

Postcards are a low crime category. In my 15 years of selling here, this is the third time that I know of that buyers have left positive feedback for me and then claim not receiving their item. One was a c/c chargeback 9 months after the sale.

So long story short, INR claims = instant refund and a block.

Fighting a claim is pointless. A hit to the Cookie Jar Insurance is easier and cheaper.

Calling CSR is, as most other times, costly in time and sanity - so is usually avoided by me. This buyer just rubbed me the wrong way (over and over) so I had to do my part in letting eBay know that they are fostering crooks and profiting from them.

PS: I googled the buyer's name and city and his crime spree is so prevalent that someone set up a website about him. He has done time in jail for ripping off people using Kijiji and Craigslist selling concert tickets. Now he's testing eBay with petty mail fraud. The postcards I gave him are of places from his past - as can be ascertained by the locations of several of his past victims.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I can say that following the report a buyer process does (eventually) work.

I reported an INR buyer which I was able to identify doing the same things to other sellers and immediately they became "unregistered".

It appears that my report was the one that exceeded the threshold to knock them off (I actually called in because I couldn't find an option for item sent without tracking which was reported as unreceived so I picked item sent with tracking which was reported as unreceived and I became worried when it immediately zapped them because what I picked wasn't exactly true. I was told by the CSR that was the appropriate one to pick anyway - they really should have reasons for more situations or at least include one for items without tracking).

If you have a bunch of separate ones report them all, that might be enough to zapp them as well. (I would be interested to know what reason the CSR suggested you use).

Sadly it will only mean they'll have to create another id. I suggest keeping an eye on addresses in the same area for the next while on that assumption, it has happened to me in the past.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

CSR didn't tell me what option to choose.  She assumed that I knew the ropes and I forgot to ask.  I did hammer eBay with the "report a buyer" feature for all the items.

First option I chose was "Buyer demanded something that was not offered in my listing / Requested a shipping service I don't offer or to ship to an address other than what eBay provided" since he was demanding tracking information - which to me seems to be a shipping service.

After that all other reports were filled with the "Buyer made a false claim / Claimed an item was not received when tracking shows it was delivered" since it kind of fit my narrative.

Yes, I agree that there aren't enough options available - kind of a guessing game.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes the last one you used is the same one I picked and they told me that was the correct (best) one to use....

Message 10 of 10
latest reply