Buyer Bought Item, I Have Not Yet Updated on ebay My Payment/Bank Info

Hi there!

So it was a few months ago(?) that ebay sent out that notice that payment would no longer go to Paypal and you had to enter banking information for direct deposit. I have been preoccupied with University work and have not yet had a chance to do that.

Just a short while ago, I had someone buy the only thing I had listed (it was something I forgot was listed, having listed it probably 1.5 years ago), and they have already paid.

Since I have not yet entered this info, will my payment show up in my bank account once I enter that info, or will I need to cancel the customer's order? It shows the funds as processing right now.

Thanks for your time.

Stay safe!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

But are you actually set up in Managed Payments?

I don't see any listings in this name, but look at the Sold item and see if your payments show ApplePay and/or GooglePay.

IIf those are there, you are in Managed Payments, and you should get that bank account set up immediately. Many sellers who are signed up have attached an online dedicated chequing account to limit the access of eBay to their other financials.

If not you are still taking Paypal. Is the payment there?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Their sold listing shows that they are in MP

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@bspes-f2ttqxod3m 

If you finish signing up then the money will be transfered, until then it will just sit there.

FYI - When I signed up it took less than 5 minutes and that included opening a new bank account for the specific purpose of receiving funds from eBay.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. I'm also currently weighing my options with the sign-up part. I'm also considering opening a new bank account for receiving eBay funds....I don't exactly feel comfortable with letting eBay have direct access to my main account (especially after they were hacked back in 2014).

Luckily I'm a student so I can still open an account and not have to pay monthly fees on it. If I weren't, I'd consider not using eBay anymore, especially since I normally only sell around one item per month on average. It wouldn't be worth it. I really dislike that they've done away with Paypal.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@bspes-f2ttqxod3m 

Anyone can get a no fee checking account and they should be able to do it online in just a couple of minutes.

There are a number of choices,  the most popular seem to be Simplii Finanacial and Tangerine

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It does appear that when you sold the item you had managed payments on the on listing. But you may still need to finish the set up to receive your money. I sincerely hope when you accepted the invitation to register for managed payments (if they asked you for it then) that you didn't give them your SIN.  Legally you are not required to give out that information.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Okay, so here's a new problem.

I explained the situation to the buyer, and they are okay with cancelling the order and either working out the deal directly through Paypal, or wait until/if I set up an alternative bank account.

When I try to cancel the order, it is not allowing me to. When I go through the refund process, give the reason, and click submit, if gives the error "Your refund did not go through. Please add a payment option to refund the buyer.".

The funds are no longer on hold. They say available. It's wanting me to link a bank account or credit card to issue the refund, even though the funds are sitting right there? I don't think they can do that.

Another strange thing to is, the refund breakdown for the $11 the customer paid says $1.43 was paid to eBay for Final Value Fee (so, refund $9.57 from my funds). However, when I go to the payments page to see the funds available, it says I have $9.25 available, and the Final Value Fee on the item was $1.75.

I'm lost and don't know what to do. I'm trying to refund the buyer but it won't allow me to.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply