Buyer Doesn't pick up Parcel. What happens

Hello:

Buyer purchases item and sent by tracking to US. Shows in CP tracking as awaiting for deliver address/. Went to the USPS site and it states the receiver was not home and a card was left. Contacted buyer and he responded he had picked it up. Item is still showing as undelivered. Perhaps a issue with the tracking as PayPal did release the funds?.

I am  wondering if he is having buyers remorse and refusing to accept delivery. What happens next, I assume I get dinged for the return postage, but do I have to refund him.

I have ebay messages that he acknowledges a delivery notice was received  

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

mcrlmn
Community Member

I had that situation early this year.

The item wasn't picked up, and was eventually returned to me by Canada Post at no additional cost.

After the return, I did try to communicate with the buyer, but never heard a word.

Nevertheless, I logged into PayPal and refunded the buyer.

I felt that was the 'right' thing to do. I sleep good at night.

Guess what happened?

eBay gave me a 'Item out of stock' demerit; which I will keep for a year.

I phoned eBay to ask why they would make that assumption, and asked the demerit be removed.

I was just being a reputable seller, and eBay screwed me.

The refund was on PayPal, which I thought was now a separate entity.

No answer about their assumption, but said the demerit would be removed.

Never has been removed.

So for me, should the scenario repeat, unless the buyer asks for a refund... The transaction has concluded.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

The ebay MoneyBack Guarantee is void is a buyer refuses to accept their parcel in a situation like this. Paypal Buyer Protection is a different story, however, so don't count on the problem disappearing until six months has passed from date of purchase.

Basically, I would wait until the buyer initiated contact. If they really didn't get their item, you might get it back or you might not, depending on what option you selected when printing that label. Or they might have picked it up and you have instead a Delivery Scan Error on your hands. 

Regardless, the ball is in their court. This is one of those times when doing nothing is best. 

If and when they do make contact, your response will be specific to whatever it is that they want you to do and how they ask you to do it. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Don't overthink it.

If he told you (in eBay Messages?) that he has it , stop.

Dont' poke a sleeping dog.

If he did decide to Dispute, you can show a delivery notice was dropped. If he hadn't picked it up, he would lose an Item Not Delivered Claim.

Tracking is for the very occasional situation when a buyer complains of non-delivery. Don't get compulsive about it.

But if you do, let me know so I can buy shares in Metamucil.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Thanks everyone. There is Ebay messages where he states that he received it and feedback would be left and thanking me, No feedback left which I hardly care about. I have a printout of the USPS tracking that states a delivery notice was left. Maybe it was delivered and the site isn't updated for some reason. Who knows, maybe he meant he was going to pick it up and something happened, or he left on vacation and forget. Either way, will leave it alone for now. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Items are often picked up/delivered without being scanned.  You know the buyer has it so there is nothing more for you to do.   I think PP may have released the money because once the buyer has been notified to pick up the package, they consider it delivered.  That's just a guess though.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The buyer already said he picked it up. End of story. Stop checking the tracking status and go enjoy the weekend 🙂

(I have had it before where the buyer picked up the item and left feedback, while tracking still says it's stuck at customs a month later)

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Me too. But in that case, I will open a ticket with Canada Post to get them to talk to the other carrier to make sure I eventually get an updated Delivered status on the parcel. I paid for that, after all. And should a paypal case ever be opened, Paypal won't give a hoot about any ebay Messages or Feedback Left, they need to see postal evidence of Delivered. So I make Canada Post do the legwork to get it for me. And they do. Waiting until a paypal case is open is too late, as it takes CPC weeks to do it. It takes ten minutes to open that ticket by phone and it covers my butt. To me, that's worth it. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Spoiler

I would either leave it alone or try your get a delivered scan  in another way.  If you already know that the buyer had the item and no case had been opened don't you think that it would be dishonest opening a claim with CP?  That's basically saying that you want your money back for the item and postage even though you are not out any money.   You are paying for them to deliver the package, even if they didn't scan it the PO still did their job by delivering it.  If you open a claim just in case and the buyer doesn't file an inr and you then win the CP claim, what then?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Easier way is to contact USPS directly as they are very timely in their follow up. Their internal systems have access to more data, provided it was scanned at delivery/pickup, than what is shown on their website. Tracking is only as reliable as the last person who handles it prior to it being handed over to the recipient.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Me too. But in that case, I will open a ticket with Canada Post to get them to talk to the other carrier to make sure I eventually get an updated Delivered status on the parcel. I paid for that, after all. And should a paypal case ever be opened, Paypal won't give a hoot about any ebay Messages or Feedback Left, they need to see postal evidence of Delivered. So I make Canada Post do the legwork to get it for me. And they do. Waiting until a paypal case is open is too late, as it takes CPC weeks to do it. It takes ten minutes to open that ticket by phone and it covers my butt. To me, that's worth it.

Totally agree. I had a similar situation a few months back one a quite expensive item. USPS showed that "business was closed when we tried to deliver, will try next business day" or something along those lines. Two weeks later, still no update on my Expedited Parcel.

I didn't contact the buyer though, because I feared it would maybe open a can of worms. BUT I did open a ticket with Canada Post just in case the buyer would claim non receipt. One week later, the package showed as delivered. <sight of relief>

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:
Guess what happened?

eBay gave me a 'Item out of stock' demerit; which I will keep for a year.

It's really frustrating when you are doing the right thing and you get "punished" for it. I completely sympathize.

I think in order to avoid this, a seller has to cancel the transaction from eBay choosing "The buyer requested it", and then the refund will be done automatically by eBay/PayPal.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
Spoiler

I would either leave it alone or try your get a delivered scan  in another way.  If you already know that the buyer had the item and no case had been opened don't you think that it would be dishonest opening a claim with CP?  That's basically saying that you want your money back for the item and postage even though you are not out any money.   You are paying for them to deliver the package, even if they didn't scan it the PO still did their job by delivering it.  If you open a claim just in case and the buyer doesn't file an inr and you then win the CP claim, what then?

It's not a lost claim, it's a trace ticket. I don't win anything, I get a Delivery scan at the end of it. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Precisely how is that dishonest?

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Oh, and finally, to split hairs: No, a seller doesn't pay simply for the carrier to 'get the parcel to the buyer'. That's an untracked service like Small Packet, Light Packet or lettermail. If a seller has paid three to ten times more for tracking that confirms delivery, and did so for a reason, I don't think anyone should need to justify that a sender has every right to insist they get what they paid for from the postal carrier.

If I have paid $34 for Tracked Packet to UK instead of $10 CAD for Small Packet to UK, I am paying for not one but two services: the movement of my parcel from point a to point b AND tracking that says Delivered. 

And like I said, a seller can open a trace ticket without claiming a lost parcel. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Totally agree. I had a similar situation a few months back one a quite expensive item. USPS showed that "business was closed when we tried to deliver, will try next business day" or something along those lines. Two weeks later, still no update on my Expedited Parcel.

I didn't contact the buyer though, because I feared it would maybe open a can of worms. BUT I did open a ticket with Canada Post just in case the buyer would claim non receipt. One week later, the package showed as delivered. <sight of relief>

In my experience (and it has happened like this for me more than once because I only use tracked services for my parcels now) the act of opening that trace ticket flushes out from the system whatever it is that prevented the Delivery scan. And then you, me, the seller has one less thing to worry about. The item says Delivered, our job is done, instead of the thing left hanging in the air. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

My mistake. You said you would open a ticket and I assumed that you meant a claim.  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Delivered is not always delivered...

I received an order in my mail box on August 18.

It was sent Canada Post registered and no signature required.

I was surprised as shipping had been free.

Nevertheless, as I had been waiting since July 25 for this order sent via letter mail from Ontario. I checked the tracking number.

Canada Post's site states the order was delivered on August 11.

Absolutely false.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I received lot packages in past and believe the issue is the guy who delivered the package sometimes , whatever in store or at the address, when they scan the parcel (last scan) to deliver, they have to choose the option such as ( not at home : delivered to Box: notice left or delivered and ....

In some cases they just click on wrong option and this is what happen.
In this situation buyer can easily open the case of not receiving the item and you have to issue a refund then deal with carrier for package location and insurance.... ( not sure buyer received or not )

That’s why i pay 1-2$ extra each time to have signature request from buyer.
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2017.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply