Buyer claims did not receive the package

corazi
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering how to handle a situation like this.

I shipped an item out to the correct address international using First Class Mail (no signature).

I see the package delivered but the buyer is claiming it wasn't her that received the package and that she doesn't have it.

How would you handle such a request? Apparently I can't submit claims either with the shipping method I used.

Thanks,

Daniel

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I shipped an item out to the correct address international using First Class Mail (no signature).

I see the package delivered but

How do you know the item has been delivered? And has it been more than 30 days since you shipped?

Your best bet is to refund the original payment with a polite note asking that the buyer return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service when it is delivered.

Otherwise, without Proof of Delivery, which is not available on lettermail, the buyer can open an Item Not Received Dispute and win. You would get a black mark on your selling record. You don't want that.

One small blessing is that anything sent by cheap, fast lettermail is likely to be cheap itself. You are out the cost of mailing, the cost of your fees (some of which you will get back with the refund) and the procurement cost (not the selling price) of the item.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

By checking sold items, itt does not look like the OP has sold anything that can go letter mail. Need some more detailed information.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

How do you know lettermail has been delivered?

Photobucket
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The original poster is in the U.S. and international first class does have delivery confirmation to some countries.

Daniel you are on the Canadian discussion board so there was some confusion about how you sent the item. There are a couple of different ways you can handle it.   If the buyer has opened a claim and delivery confirmation shows that the item was actually delivered to them (not just delivered to customs in that country) you can phone ebay and explain that the delivery confirmation shows the item was delivered and ask them to close the claim. If they do that then there is no defect for a claim being opened. I have heard that in some countries first class international doesn't give enough info to prove that the item was delivered but its best to ask ebay about that.

It's up to you from there whether or not you want to believe that the item was delivered or not and whether you want to refund the buyer. You're not obligated to refund and although there are times when delivery confirmation is wrong, ebay considers that your job is finished once the item shows as being delivered.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply