Buyer didn't pay, when does "request to cancel transaction" expire?

xprog1
Community Member

Some buyer didn't pay as usual. I sent a request that he changed his mind and to cancel the transaction. The buyer didn't respond. So how long do I have to wait to get my fees back and relist?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Why cancel? Why not an Unpaid Item Dispute?

You say "as usual", sounds like this isn't your first non-payer, why are you simply letting them off the hook?

Have you thought about what you would do if the buyer refused the cancellation?

In any event you need to wait 8 days.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It is a good idea to start the resolution by contacting the customer and asking if he will agree to a Mutual Cancellation.

But don't open it until he does agree.

Some transactions are never going to work out, and it is best to resolve them in a friendly and positive way.

With a MC both parties can leave feedback.

If he ignores the request, go to the Unpaid Item Dispute. You can't do this until four days (96hours) have passed.

If he ignores that, you get your fees, he gets a Strike, neither can leave feedback.

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.ca/

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You will have to wait one week, after that ebay will close request automatically, refund your fee and you will be able to relist this item.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The reason why I don't use the "unpaid item dispute" is because I don't want to upset the bidder and get bad feedback. In the past I always used this feature and never had any issues.

Thanks for all that replied.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@xprog1 wrote:

The reason why I don't use the "unpaid item dispute" is because I don't want to upset the bidder and get bad feedback. In the past I always used this feature and never had any issues.

Thanks for all that replied.

If buyers don't pay and you close the UID they cannot leave any feedback.

Don't let fear rule your actions, it's been 10 years or since a buyer I filed a UID who did then pay do anything other than enjoy their purchase.

Those are not buyer requested cancellations, they could come back to bite you.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yup I always file UID after 8 days (I'm fine with waiting a week for payment).

Most of them don't pay anyway so I get my fees back and never heard from them again. The one that did pay 2 days after I filed the UID ended up buying two more books at the same time so I shipped all three together. She even gave me positive feedback 4 days after the sale (which I doubt the items actually arrived since it looks like she just gave positives to all sellers at one go) so then I left her positive feedback as well. Never heard from that buyer again and it has been almost two months now so I assumed all is well Smiley Happy

I only send mutual cancellation if buyer requested it, or if I carelessly ran out of stock and listed the item... and even so the buyers I worked with are all wonderful and willing to accept cancellation, or to change to a different item with a discount. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I set up the automatic unpaid case because of 0 feedback buyers buying stuff and not paying for it. If someone has any type of feedback I contact them 2 days after un paid and if no response i let auto unpaid take over. Only one time had I had someone pay when I opened the case I apologized and so did he saying he ment to pay as soon as it was bought and wasn't on to see my email.

You requested a cancel tho I made that mistake trying to be nice to someone who had bought something instead of opening a case just to try it out. It took about 12 days for it to go away I got hit with the request to cancel and buyer did not accept thing. Not sure how it even effects sellers but they do track how many orders you cancel that are not accepted by buyers. But after the 12 days I had to open a unpaid case which took another 8 days lol.. 20 days later..

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

These days you don't always get any sort of reply from the buyer with a cancellation but the credit is usually given approx 10 days after the cancellation is filed.  There shouldn't have been any need to file an unpaid item since you had already filed a cancellation. In fact, I didn't even think that was possible.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

videogamez-- Sounds like a reasonable policy.

We all have different policies and we are probably all correct. The demographic we sell to makes a big difference in the number of slow payers, deadbeats, and malicious bidders we get.

I sell books and dress patterns, so those customers tend to be good at reading and following instructions. I do get slow payers, but most respond with apologies to a polite reminder.

But the Mutual Cancellation should, in my opinion, be reserved for transactions that both parties have agreed are just not going to happen. And that discussion must be amicable, because an unhappy customer is able to leave feedback and detailed seller ratings. In other words, it should be discussed before the MC request is sent.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply