Buyer is Drop shipping my items on Amaz

For anyone interested found this post on the dot com board. All I can say is ummm...Yikes!!!! To date there have been no follow up posts.     Buyer is drop shipping my items on Amazon
treasuredcharmsjewelry

It has recently come to my attention that a seller on Amazon has taken my photos and listed my items for sale on Amazon.  When they sell something they buy it from me and put a note on the order asking it to be sent without an invoice or any type of branding.  From what I read on Amazon, drop shipping this way is not allowed.  They are also selling my items for 2-3 times more than what I sell them for on here.  I have reported this to Amazon but have not heard back.  Can I report them to eBay or should I just block the buyer and hope they don't have more buying accounts?  I like the sales, but I'm still not happy this is happening.  My items are branded with my seller name and website and it will be easy for customers to go to my eBay Store and see that they got ripped off on Amazon, then contact me thinking that I was the seller.  Anyone else have experience with this?   

-CM

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Dropshipping is allowed (but discouraged) on amazon. It must not have an AZ competitor's branding (like walmart or costco).

The amazon seller would need to be selling for double to breakeven (dropshipping is a risky business).

An ebay seller can block the buyer if they are unhappy with the sale (or perhaps look at doubling their ebay price).

If it was me I'd be including a note inside the package with a link to my ebay store.

-..-

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

I think the concern for him was that this was going on. It's very difficult to stop this sort of thing from happening with so many sellers out there. I recently found a seller in China that was using my photos and listing information for an item. The only difference was their item was without box. Mine is new in box. They are able to ship free. I can't. And it's an item affected by the catalog feature. Looks like it was their work around to get it listed. Pointed it out to eBay and was told they would investigate. To date, over a month later, listing is still there. 

-CM

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I've had a few sales that went down like that (please no markings or invoice) and I suspected it was something like that.  I could honestly care less, a sale is a sale.  If they can sell it more than I could, good on them.

Ian

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I plaster my name and store all over my items; when it has been reasonable for me to expect I’m being used by a dropshipper, the buyer is left no doubt who’s actually fulfilling their order.

Theft of images? That’s another story. I had very good and immediate response from Amazon when I found MY pictures being used without permission.
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I've had 1 repeat customer located in USA who has asked me to ship to his customers in Canada. Also, didn't want the invoice enclosed. But he is entirely upfront about it. He paid my price so I'm okay with that. Using someones "listing specifics" on another site sounds hinky!! Then pass off blame for possible NAD just because!!

-CM

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I guess using someone else's photos isn't quite right...  If I was paying to have professional photos done I'd probably have an issue with that...  Then again, my interest is selling the item as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Ian

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Being old and cynical, my first thought was that the US poster should have been ignoring the request from the AZ seller not to include his own invoice and other information in the package.

He should have also been including a price list for his goods.

And he is getting sales from the AZ seller that he wasn't getting himself.

And since the AZ seller gave him a lead to a marketplace where he could get more money for his product he now has a new venue.

That's three good things the experience gave him.

Dropshippers of this type don't seem to understand that other people may be smarter than them.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Not positive on this, but thought the rule was if you used stock or someone else's photos you had to note in the listing that this was the case. Has anyone had any feedback from eBay for using watermarked photos? This did help to some extent in the past.  Still ways around it with cropping if the watermark is along the border.  Wouldn't this be considered a form of plagiarism?

-CM

PS. Sadly, the new "cheating on an exam" world we live in!!!

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

The bigger problem is the enforcement of these rules.  As soon as a new rule is implemented sellers/buyers eventually find ways around them. Could the OP send(report) the seller up the River? Sorry, couldn't resist!!  🙂

-CM

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

No. Stock photos are stock photos. They’re not free unless you’ve been given explicit permission to use them. For free.

My photos cannot be used without my permission. They belong to me. Telling someone it’s my photo in another listing still doesn’t cut it. Those rights need to be bought, sold and transferred. I work with professional photographers; the only free photo is a photo you’ve been given explicit permission to use for free.

Explicit permission does not equal not-yet-caught.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Selling them for 2-3 more than they get on eBay?  Far be it from me to suggest you/they open up an AMZN sellers account.  

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Every eBay seller’s interest is to sell something as quickly and painlessly as possible. A buyer is a buyer but stealing photos and/or original text is unauthorized use.

Vero is very quick to shut down this type of problem now; I used them with my most recent stolen photo and they came down hard and fast on the offender. Results may vary.
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

If I found someone selling my stuff using my photos on another venue and using me as the fulfillment Centre to their dropshipping endeavors, I would for sure be sending all my store information with each order. Then I would boldly alert them to the fact I was now aware they were using my photos and other intellectual property and give them the opportunity to do me right before I involved the marketplace in punitive measures.
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I've gone to research an item on eBay and have seen the same photos for several sellers in different parts of the country/countries. From time to time I've even seen the same text verbatim attached to those listings. It does happen and extremely difficult to enforce.

-CM

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

Difficult for whom to enforce?

As a shopper, you’ve no inside information on whether those sellers have permission to use the same photo and description. They could be part of a selling team all shipping from one warehouse with directions and permission to do precisely to what you are calling attention.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

For eBay to enforce.  A buyer is only concerned about getting the item represented in the photos. Some "sellers" are just lazy and take as many shortcuts as possible.

-CM

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

Selling them for 2-3 more than they get on eBay?  Far be it from me to suggest you/they open up an AMZN sellers account.  

Or else raise their prices on eBay.  If someone else can sell them for more than perhaps they are priced too low??

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

You’re assuming there’s something to enforce. All these different sellers may well be authorized dealers of that item and therefore doing nothing wrong.

eBay HAS been quick to enforce my VERO complaints, I mentioned that earlier. I have been fighting this fight for six or more years.
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies

The 'classic' dropshipper is using an online catalogue from his supplier from which he picks and chooses the items he wants to sell.

Then when he gets an order it is passed to the supplier, who as was contracted, ships the item and charges the dropshipping seller.

The supplier may have dozens if not hundreds of contracted dropshippers. It's a business plan that is very attractive to the lazy, who thinks retail is easy.

The part the AZ seller has missed is that the 'classic' dropshipper has a willing supplier and is working with some sort of contract.

The OP should absolutely be including her eBay contact information for her new customer. The one the AZ smartalec found for her.

And probably raising prices.

The question of stolen pictures and descriptions is different.

And harder to enforce.

This has been a problem online for decades.

Including all those photoshopped pictures that end up on Snopes.com.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply